Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2013-03-28, 1:36pm
Bead semi-newbie

Barbara: could you post the link to the product you got in case i get crazy and need a pre made divit. Following this thread is doesn't sound like a slam dunk to get the casting beads to connect to the quartz. I checked this but would like comments.

A HEPA filter mask is good to wear when fuming which will allow me to breathe during the process and while attaching the metal to the mystical quartz rod, yes? no?
LOVE silver glass
Old 2013-03-28, 3:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraconklin View Post
Barbara: could you post the link to the product you got in case i get crazy and need a pre made divit. Following this thread is doesn't sound like a slam dunk to get the casting beads to connect to the quartz. I checked this but would like comments.

A HEPA filter mask is good to wear when fuming which will allow me to breathe during the process and while attaching the metal to the mystical quartz rod, yes? no?
If you have decent ventilation (ie Hood/fan) then the mask is not really necessary. I have tried using quartz rods with gold and I too have issues with the gold popping off. Funny thing is silver is fine. If you get yours to work I would love to know how you do it. If you ask ABR for particular packing or cutting they are usually helpful about it. Not trying to be snippy, although, after re reading it might have come off that way but this is usually a no win for them. I always try to time my orders so that I have at least $150-$200 at once and then the shipping is not a big deal.
Old 2013-03-28, 4:17pm
Bead semi-newbie

Dear Mr. Snippy: i love that word, my mom used it a lot and i really miss her. i love this forum and all the comments are really helpful even the " waaa waaa get over yourself" ones. i felt pretty stupid about how i ordered this one shipment but didn't really need anything else (read: spent my glass budget for a while). am working out of my regular studio in a garage with all doors open and a fan blowing past me but hey, not really a good plan. will be back home next week to safe and sane. it is for that reason i thought of the HEPA mask just to get my by for now.
LOVE silver glass
Old 2013-03-28, 4:51pm
hyperT

Liquid Brite Gold Lustre fired onto a pyrex or quartz rod. No fuss No muss No Waste. Don't breath the fumes when firing it on in your kiln.

Last edited by hyperT; 2013-03-28 at 4:59pm.
Old 2013-03-28, 5:58pm
Bead semi-newbie

what is liquid brite gold lustre? wow, it sounds a bit like some exotic ganja. would you talk a bit about it, the liquid brite etc., not the other thing.
LOVE silver glass
Old 2013-03-28, 6:35pm
hyperT

LOL it is gold that has been reduced to a liquid by various organic solvents, a dark brown or red liquid depending on who makes it. You paint it on a piece then fire it in your kiln. If you fire it on the end of a piece of rod you can use it for fuming. It fires at cone 022 or 1050 degrees. At a point around 500 degrees or so it will plate the glass leaving a thin gold plating. The love birds in my photo are plated with it.
It is a thermo-chemical plating process. Just keyword Liquid Brite Gold Lustre and see more about it. I have been using it for years. Both to plate glass and fume with it. You have seen fancy wine glasses with a gold rim haven't you? Same stuff. It's made in 22k and 23k. A little bit goes a very long way.

Last edited by hyperT; 2013-03-28 at 6:47pm.
Old 2013-03-28, 9:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraconklin View Post
Dear Mr. Snippy: i love that word, my mom used it a lot and i really miss her. i love this forum and all the comments are really helpful even the " waaa waaa get over yourself" ones. i felt pretty stupid about how i ordered this one shipment but didn't really need anything else (read: spent my glass budget for a while). am working out of my regular studio in a garage with all doors open and a fan blowing past me but hey, not really a good plan. will be back home next week to safe and sane. it is for that reason i thought of the HEPA mask just to get my by for now.
Thats not really a decent ventilation system. Stick with the mask at all times. good call.
Old 2013-03-29, 12:10am

Arggghhhhhh, I said ABR, but it was Arrow Springs. Well, at least both begin with A?

This is the write up and it's on their home page:

"Quartz Fuming Rods

Fuming Rod Quartz TN

Only
$2.50
or
$3.75

Quartz tubing makes the ideal material to hold Fine Silver or 24 Karat Gold for fuming glass. Quartz, with its low COE of 8, is extremely shock resistant and requires an immense amount of heat to melt, thereby giving you secure control of the molten metal during the fuming process when it is placed in a small depression. 11 mm OD, 8 mm ID, 8" (20 cm) long.
To use the Plain Quartz Tubing for fuming, heat up a spot near one end until white hot. Then push a slight depression into the side of the tube with the tip of tweezers. The heating can be accomplished using a beadmaking size torch turned up to its maximum setting if you are using bottled oxygen. If you are using an Oxygen Concentrator/Generator the flame will not likely be hot enough. Purchase the Quartz Tubing with the Depression already in it. Caution: always point the end of any tubing downstream to the flame to prevent the flame from entering the tubing and burning your hand."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Barbara
Old 2013-03-29, 1:17am
Alaska Boro

Have not had any issue with using a 5 mm clear boro rod with gold leaf. It is easy to roll on with a marver and sticks well.
Old 2013-03-29, 2:41am

i use the smallest snip of silver i can, stick that to the quartz rod for fuming. once 99% of that silver is burnt off, i'll use the same rod now for gold. the little remaining silver on the quartz will make the gold stick better.
Old 2013-03-29, 7:50am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
Have not had any issue with using a 5 mm clear boro rod with gold leaf. It is easy to roll on with a marver and sticks well.
After losing a lot of gold with the quartz I went back to this. Works well.
Old 2013-03-29, 8:23am

"Liquid Brite Gold Lustre" oh I think I might have some of that stuff going to check and see how it does. Thanks for sharing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-05-03, 8:59pm

Rather than start a new thread I will just post my question here. Today I was practising some fume implosions. I made a maria on the end of a 12mm rod (simax), melted out the chill lines and then proceeded to fume with gold(22 or 24 Karat, not sure). After about 4-5 seconds of fuming the maria I noticed it looked like a cheetah. There were just spots that absolutely refused to take any fume whatsoever. So naturally I fumed some more, played with my flame settings etc etc. Nothing worked. Id say in total about 70% of the maria took the fume but there were just spots all over the place that refused. Has anyone seen this before? I have fumed with this gold many times without issue.
Old 2013-05-04, 5:01am

was the heatbase in the maria even?

idk if that would do what your describing but that's about all i can think of.
Old 2013-05-04, 7:40am

I have that spitting like stuff on my pieces as well GlassAlias and the gold fume doesn't cover well either and I was thinking that maybe the maria wasn't evenly heated. I am going to pay attention to that more today. I'll let you know.

Old 2013-05-04, 7:45pm

I could say maybe at first that may have been the case but i tried for a while and it should have heated nicely long before i gave up. plus the spots were just in random places like a cobblestone walkway.
Old 2013-05-08, 11:43am
Bead semi-newbie

Thinking out loud, did you clean the rods first? sounds like spot of some grease or some other smuts may keep the fume from sticking.
LOVE silver glass
Old 2013-05-09, 3:20pm

This is most likely due to the heat not being even in the glass that your fuming. To fix this try letting the glass cool down and then heat it up again paying careful attention to heating it evenly. Fume sticks better to hot glass then cold. Also be sure your flame is not oxidizing as you may be fuming and then burning it right off in places.
Old 2013-05-09, 9:54pm

Could be.
Picture a cobblestone walkway. Now picture the stones and the mortar lines in between them. Thats what the fume on the maria looked like where the fume would be the mortar and the spots that the fume wouldnt stick to the cobblestones.

Oh well. Over and done with.