Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2013-03-24, 10:17am

Default GA Peachy Keen Experimental

Did anyone else buy any of this and if so what are you doing with it? I'd love to see pictures.

I bought a half pound in lieu of Paramore's Peach ... now I wish I had held out. Once struck it looks more like the dark blush on some variety of peaches. Very earthy reddish purple ... not quite what I was dreaming of.

Here is some of mine. The donuts in the first set are just pure Peachy Keen that was flame struck. Pillow are PK base with Java Junkie frit swirled on.

And layered and encased with various of my frit blends:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MagpieGlass; 2013-03-24 at 10:22am.
Old 2013-03-24, 12:21pm

Peachy keen strikes that dark? Wouldn't have thought it, I think it's very pretty,but probably disappointing if you wanted a lighter color, thanks for sharing!
Old 2013-03-24, 12:25pm

Ok embarrassing, I just realized you said GA, I was thinking CIM I think it is Peachy Keen, so please dismiss my post, your beads are still beautiful though!!
Old 2013-03-24, 5:37pm

I haven't bought any recently but have bought a couple different runs of it. Mine don't strike as dark as yours but the color still strikes to something I don't care for. My solution is to mix it down with white. Doing that I've gotten some nice shades.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-03-24, 6:43pm
Dakine glass man

Pm me if you wanna get rid of it

Lampwork by John Lindquist
Old 2013-03-24, 7:53pm

I've been so tempted to buy this on numerous occasions! I have lots of new experimentals and OCR's that I bought recently, if you want to trade any of the PK

Old 2013-03-25, 6:50am

I like it, but so far I've found it to be nearly indistinguishable from a well- struck Persimmon. I keep wishing it wouldn't all strike so uniformly, maybe keeping some streaks of the lighter, rod color. But on the other hand, since sometimes I can't get Persimmon to strike uniformly when I want it to, it fills that niche. Layering over white didn't do much to change the color for me, but I didn't actually mix 'em up. Anyway, I'll be sorry to see the last of it.
The color I am absolutely in love with from the sale is Tiger's Eye. I'm not sure if it's experimental or not; I couldn't find it at Frantz, but I sure hope to find some more soon.
-Martha
Old 2013-03-25, 7:08am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsand View Post
I like it, but so far I've found it to be nearly indistinguishable from a well- struck Persimmon. I keep wishing it wouldn't all strike so uniformly, maybe keeping some streaks of the lighter, rod color. But on the other hand, since sometimes I can't get Persimmon to strike uniformly when I want it to, it fills that niche. Layering over white didn't do much to change the color for me, but I didn't actually mix 'em up. Anyway, I'll be sorry to see the last of it.
The color I am absolutely in love with from the sale is Tiger's Eye. I'm not sure if it's experimental or not; I couldn't find it at Frantz, but I sure hope to find some more soon.
-Martha
Interesting ... I like Persimmon it usually strikes a nice light raspberry pink for me.

Old 2013-03-25, 7:09am

Quote:
-Martha
It looks like they have Tiger's Eye at ABR: http://www.dichroicimagery.com/produ...ducts_id=96161
I am curious to hear what you did with Tiger's Eye - I got a little bit during GA's sale, but haven't tried it yet. Any suggestions?

Old 2013-03-25, 7:11am

Quote:
-Martha
Would it matter if you mixed it first before using it? Someone said recently that they mix and reduce anything with silver in it before using it, to bring out more color. Haven't tried that yet, not sure if it would help in this case or not. Just a thought.

Old 2013-03-25, 7:45am

Yup...just came back to say that I checked GA's site and Tigers Eye made the regular production line-up.

A Beryl sparkle color ... sounds lovely ... thin it down for the Champange Sparkle affect I would think!!

I bet it would make an interesting eye cane!!

Old 2013-03-25, 9:10am

Tigers eye is definitely a Beryl base. I like Beryl in principle, but it was always a little dull, so hence the sparkles! It has very big, reflective flakes compared to many of the (older?) denser sparkle colors that I'm familiar with. I layered it on top of Paris Green and an opaque Parramore green under that, for a very deep looking surface almost like an old automotive custom paint job.
I'm not sure about the eye cane, I would guess it depends on how big a cane you're going to pull...because the flakes seem so big to me. It would be cool with a wisp of silver blue, like Aurora Borealis. Sadly I've never tried Champagne Sparkey. And maybe it's just my puny torch, but I get tired just thinking about mixing colors. Oh what I wouldn't do for more heat and more hours in the day...
Old 2013-03-25, 9:18am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpieGlass View Post
Interesting ... I like Persimmon it usually strikes a nice light raspberry pink for me.
I think its probably just the OCQ Persimmon that I got from the sale come to think of it. In the past it has always been a lighter, pinker color for me too. I was using this OCQ one next to the Peachy on a piece and couldn't tell the difference when it came out of the kiln.