No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-09-15, 7:48pm
Lifelong Student

Default signature bead question

If you were developing a signature bead, when and how would you introduce it? Would you post it in a forum or only on your selling site of choice?
PS...by signature I mean a bead style that represents you as a beadmaker (not a signature murinni).
Old 2014-09-15, 10:50pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that an artist becomes known for a certain style because other people recognize it as that artist's work. I think if an artist makes something and just arbitrarily proclaims it their signature work, it is pretty meaningless. But, like I said, this is only my opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*f

Old 2014-09-16, 4:05am
Artistically Absorbed

To make something your signature style/bead, you have to put it out there for people to see and recognize. I lived in Alaska for the first 7 years of my lampworking journey and only sold locally (foolishly). So I struggled with this a little when I joined in with all superbly talented artist who were already so established on line in the downturn of the bead market. (2010 vs. 2003 when I started... it was the boom) My style has changed over the years of course, but I wanted to find something that made my work different, recognizable among the sea of fantastic beads for sale... but I had no online history for people to know any of my work other than the locals in Alaska. I had worked on a project off and on over 4 years, and I decided that would be my "IN". I was so terrified to compete with so many masters for online attention. So now I am known for painted beads, big holes and some metalwork too. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I have some followers. Don't be afraid to put it out there for all to see. You will forge your way into a distinctly recognizable signature bead/style.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64