LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-11-18, 8:27am

Default Fire Lotus

I have been trying to find Fire lotus rods. All the suppliers I searched seem to be out of it. Anyone know where to get it?
Old 2015-11-18, 8:33am
Loving learning

Flame Dame had some.
Old 2015-11-18, 8:41am

Right now she has a Fire Lotus Pale only. I am thinking we are getting to the end of supply.

Is there something about this striker that is better or different that other striking glass? The end results to me look a lot like other glass that is out there from Double Helix, Striking Glass, etc. I have a stash, but have not used it.
Old 2015-11-18, 1:25pm

Yes, there is a major difference in this glass. You can get some beautiful rainbow colors in this glass. Not just an overall sheen or metallic effect like the silver glasses.
Old 2015-11-18, 8:52pm

I bought the last of the fire lotus from TAG and I have less than 5 lbs left. (Until they make more.) Fire Lotus is easy to strike and you get rainbow colors easily. I have never seen their colors look like anything from other dealers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-11-18, 9:16pm

Thanks Paula. I guess I should melt some and see what happens.
Old 2015-11-19, 8:43am
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sher Berman View Post
Yes, there is a major difference in this glass. You can get some beautiful rainbow colors in this glass. Not just an overall sheen or metallic effect like the silver glasses.
Have you tried Double Helix's Terranova 2.1, Luna 3, Khaos, Precision 104 daVinci II, Van Gogh, or any of StrikingColor striking silver glass? Those are all striking silver glasses that yield the color spectrum and not reducing lusters.

|
|
|
|
Old 2015-11-20, 8:29am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sher Berman View Post
I used to think this about the silver glasses too, that they were hype and mostly silver luster.... Then I learned how to actually ' strike' and 'reduce' the glasses... And wow.. What a difference!!

I would love to have some Fire lotus!! I have seen it worked, and it is stunning.
Old 2015-11-20, 8:45am

Hayley, thanks. Those are the strikers I was thinking of. I perceive the same color range is available with those, especially with Brad's StrikingColor.

So if someone has worked both those and Fire Lotus, can you say what is different? Seems like some good substitutes might be available if we are down to the last 5 lbs of Fire Lotus.
Old 2015-11-20, 9:59am
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
Hayley, thanks. Those are the strikers I was thinking of. I perceive the same color range is available with those, especially with Brad's StrikingColor.

So if someone has worked both those and Fire Lotus, can you say what is different? Seems like some good substitutes might be available if we are down to the last 5 lbs of Fire Lotus.
Kathy, The reason I posted in this thread was because I had worked with Fire Lotus and know for a fact that it's a striking silver glass like the others. What sets it apart is that it does also kiln strike (Terranova 2.1 does as well but not to the extend of FL). You can actually put the bead back in the kiln for another annealing session to get more colors (e.g., magenta). I'd offer to send you a rod to play with but would hate to have you fall in love with something you can no longer get!

|
|
|
|
Old 2015-11-20, 2:38pm

Thanks Hayley, I have a couple of lbs to play with. I appreciate the thought though. I have just mainly been curious about why it was different.

I have heard that TAG might do a soft glass run in the future, so maybe it will be back.
Old 2015-11-21, 1:02am

If you're desperate, http://www.off-mandrel.com has fire lotus available, and several,other TAG glasses. U.K. based so will be pricier with shipping.

Tags
fire lotus