Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-06-11, 1:59pm
Fire Diva

Default New Odd Lot Colors????

I keep hearing about new colors....Does anybody know the new odd lot colors? and what they look like ? how about pics of the new colors in a bead?

Thank you so much for the help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-06-11, 2:23pm
Boheme Flamework Designs

Here's a picture of the some beads made with the new odd lot glass colors.
Attached Images

Deb Cline
Old 2005-06-11, 2:38pm
Satake Woman!

I'm on edge waiting for mine to arrive! I even had DH make me some new glass shelves since I was out of places to put new colors.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2005-06-11, 3:06pm
One Crazy Mama

WOW!!!!!

Old 2005-06-11, 4:24pm
Surrounded by Trouble

I can list them all for you Fay.

But if you can wait till tomorrow I will post pic of them all.
I have test beads of all the new colors in the kiln.

I think the only ones I am currently missing is the Pale Ink Blue and it is on its way to me.

I have most of the New Vetrofond colors as well as the newer Odd lot Moretti colors in my Studio right now that I am finally getting a chance to play with. Just test base beads today. Later this week I will work on reactive colors with them to see what they do. This is what I love best. I will make about 10-25 beads with each of the colors. I will be more than happy to share what I find out right here. I will also share how I do this and how I come to my conclusion about new colors.

Till tomorrow These are the color I have in.

Green Ocean Light
Green Ocean Dark
Green Sea
Green Sage
Ivory Special
Red Roof Tile
Pink Light
Pink Pale
Pink Flower
Pink #3
Pink Dark
Pink Fish
Chardonnay
Ink Blue-Violet
Old 2005-06-11, 8:05pm
Procrastinate Now!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boheme'
Here's a picture of the some beads made with the new odd lot glass colors.
Deb ~ Yummy!!

I think my favorite of all of those is the blue. What color is that??

Denise
Old 2005-06-11, 11:38pm
Princess of Pi

There is one more that was available at Frantz on May 22 - rosa tortura. The rod looks opaque-ish purple and the beads seem to come out a mix of opaque and transparent. Can't wait to see Shawn's beads!
Old 2005-06-12, 5:55am
Boheme Flamework Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiesmom
Deb ~ Yummy!!

I think my favorite of all of those is the blue. What color is that??

Denise
Hi Denise,

Thanks, it's the green ocean. Have the time they go semi transparent and the rest of the time they have streaky colors.

Glad you like them.

Deb Cline
Old 2005-06-12, 8:34pm
Surrounded by Trouble

I have divided the pic up into a couple of different photos. Sorry the quality is poor has rained for 5 days here. Will try for better shots tomorrow.
To tell them apart when they came out of the kiln since the colors are so close together I marked my mandrels with other colors as a key card.

I will describe them here for you.
The first pic is of the pinks I hope in this order.
Pale Pink- yellow
Lt Pink- red
Pink #3- green
Dark Pink- purple
Pink Flower-trans colbalt
Pink Fish- Ivory
Attached Images

Old 2005-06-12, 8:38pm

Shawn, I have a question... is the "Pink Flower" color a true pink, that is likely to be coveted or does it look like EDP in real life??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn T
I have divided the pic up into a couple of different photos. Sorry the quality is poor has rained for 5 days here. Will try for better shots tomorrow.
To tell them apart when they came out of the kiln since the colors are so close together I marked my mandrels with other colors as a key card.

I will describe them here for you.
The first pic is of the pinks I hope in this order.
Pale Pink- yellow
Lt Pink- red
Pink #3- green
Dark Pink- purple
Pink Flower-trans colbalt
Pink Fish- Ivory
Old 2005-06-12, 8:39pm
MomOnAMission

Thank you, Shawn! I can't wait to see the other colors I hope the sun comes out tomorrow
Old 2005-06-12, 8:49pm
Surrounded by Trouble

OK that worked even if the pic are still a little too dark.
I will now show you the greens and other colors.
promise to chage the pic out later.

Light Ocean -pea green
Green Sea- copper green
Green Ocean Transparnt- Periwinkle
Special Ivory- Turquoise

*note* the Ocean colors in rod form look very different the Green Ocean transparent IS transparent but when heated and played with turns into an opaque color. I am not sure if it will stay transparent or not. Will have to do more testing to see. It looks identical to the finished Light Ocean bead.
Attached Images

Old 2005-06-12, 8:58pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Just a few more.

The transparent colors were very hard for me to take pic of, I did But I will tell you my personal opinion of them, take it for what it is worth.

SuzyQ started a thread about this new Chardonnay color and I got the very same results she did. It is a very odd color indeed. But pretty.
Also I will say the Green Sage is so Very Dark it is Hard to tell at first glance it is not black. It is a nice very drak green will like to test it to see what it will do on other beads. Be warned my rods are at least 9 mm thick.
Now the Ink Blue Violet is the most stunning beautiful color of Purple I have ever seen can't wait to lay my hands on more of it.
Attached Images

Old 2005-06-12, 9:04pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Nicole I can see in the pic where it looks just like EDP, it does not look that purple in my hand.
Also it does not behave like EDP, it is a much better sister, and pinker.

If I were to pick two favorites out of the bunch of pinks it would have to be
Pink Flower and Light Pink
Of course this is just with only the base beads made and no more testing than that.
Old 2005-06-12, 9:33pm

Default misty rose?

Hey all,
I ordered some Moretti ODDS from Jodel a couple weeks ago, and one of them is called Misty Rose. It has NO number on the tag. Any clue as to what it REALLY is? To me it loks JUST like Light pink Rose!
Hugs
Lynnie
Quote:
Nicole I can see in the pic where it looks just like EDP, it does not look that purple in my hand.
Also it does not behave like EDP, it is a much better sister, and pinker.

If I were to pick two favorites out of the bunch of pinks it would have to be
Pink Flower and Light Pink
Of course this is just with only the base beads made and no more testing than that.

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2005-06-12, 9:39pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Lynnie,
Sorry hon I can't answer that one for you.
Do you have a pic of a bead or the rod so I can compare it to what I have here. I may be able to come close if you do.
Of course I know sometimes Jodel comes up with some new great colors that Frantz doesn't have so it may be something totally different.

Shawn
Old 2005-06-12, 9:47pm
Princess of Pi

Thanks Shawn!! I totally agree about the ink blue violet.
Old 2005-06-12, 9:58pm

Default Dusty Rose?

I'll scan the two rods side by each in the AM and put them up, thanks!

Lynnie

Quote:
Lynnie,
Do you have a pic of a bead or the rod so I can compare it to what I have here. I may be able to come close if you do.
Of course I know sometimes Jodel comes up with some new great colors that Frantz doesn't have so it may be something totally different.

Shawn

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2005-06-13, 5:58am
sunscreen me baby

Oh Shawn thanks for posting. I'm glad to see you got the same color from the chardonnay. I also love the new odd ink blue. It is almost the shade of glassdaddy purple. I haven't had a chance to try it but will soon. Is it as stiff as the Lauscha?

~

Old 2005-06-13, 8:12am
Surrounded by Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ
Oh Shawn thanks for posting. I'm glad to see you got the same color from the chardonnay. I also love the new odd ink blue. It is almost the shade of glassdaddy purple. I haven't had a chance to try it but will soon. Is it as stiff as the Lauscha?
Yes, Suzy the Ink Blue-V is very stiff. I think It is stiffer than GlassDaddy Purple, The whole time I was melting the rod, and making the bead I was thinking how stiff this glass is, the most I have ever seen in a Moretti Glass. Also thinking it would make a awesome Hollow bead.

Can't wait to get my Ink Blue-P in and see what it looks like should be this week.
Old 2005-06-13, 10:58am

Well, I'm bummed. I waited too long to order. Three weeks ago, everything was available, and the limits were 3 and 5 pounds. Now, the limits are 1/2 pound for most of the special colors, and Pink Flower and Special Ivory (now called Italian Marble) are not availble.

I would have ordered 2 weeks ago, but I had a customer who wanted to return a $180 bracelet... so all my money was tied up waiting for her to return the piece. She just e-mailed me yesterday to say that she's keeping it instead. Can you hear me scream in frustration?? I could have ordered the colors I wanted 2 weeks ago had she not requested the refund and taken her sweet time to change her mind.
Old 2005-06-13, 3:22pm

I have some Ink Blue Pastel..Using it TONITE!!! WOOOHOO!!!

Quote:
Yes, Suzy the Ink Blue-V is very stiff. I think It is stiffer than GlassDaddy Purple, The whole time I was melting the rod, and making the bead I was thinking how stiff this glass is, the most I have ever seen in a Moretti Glass. Also thinking it would make a awesome Hollow bead.

Can't wait to get my Ink Blue-P in and see what it looks like should be this week.

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2005-06-13, 3:27pm

Default HEY SHAWNT! Are ya around please?

Shawn are ya here?

Here are the two rose & Pink rods I asked about below! Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by danelady
I'll scan the two rods side by each in the AM and put them up, thanks!

Lynnie
Quote:
Lynnie,

Shawn

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2005-06-13, 3:44pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Lyn,
If my memory is correct Misty Rose is an old Name of a Pale Pink used by Moretti a LONG time ago. Oh gosh now where are my old time glass friends here to help me out with this one. I am thinking maybe Jodel found some old Misty Rose and that is what you have there. It does not look like any of the vetrofond pinks I have and you would have known if you bought vetrofond vs moretti.

As far as the Ink Blue I was talking about. I was not clear. I was speaking of a new odd lot color Ink Blue Pale which is a transparent color.
Although I do love the Ink blue Pastel known also as 282 Lavender Purple I do believe. Someone correct me if I am worng. I never want to give out false information.
Old 2005-06-13, 8:41pm

Default Answer to Question About Misty Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by danelady
Hey all,
I ordered some Moretti ODDS from Jodel a couple weeks ago, and one of them is called Misty Rose. It has NO number on the tag. Any clue as to what it REALLY is? To me it loks JUST like Light pink Rose!
Hugs
Lynnie

Misty Rose is an odd lot of glass, I sent my daughter on a lampworking fiesta at one of the distributors, she was given a grand tour of the lampworking supplies and rods as well, while she was there, she brought me home the bundle of glass that was something I did not have in stock, nor would it ever be in stock again, she asked if they had something that I did not have to surprise me, She knows I love ofdd lots of glass and is a Sweetheart, I'm sending her to lauscha this year!!!! I told her to search the corners for me. When odd colors come in, I don't always know what number they derived from, Most of the time it's when they are changing from one color to another.

But that Misty rose is much lighter than light pink, The color is more perkier too, It won't be made again and I am now out of stock on the item, BUT, did get loads of new Lauscha and Some odd Lots of glass from there as well today. Hope this answers your question.

Odd Lots are accidents most of the time, also failures to reproduce an actual color that was made before in the same compnay BUT By a different person usually from a different generation, When they try to reproduce a color that 100 years old, sometimes they come up with a whole new color, you see, the old glass makers would write the recipe for all to use in future generations, BUT, Glass Making was a Big Secret for so long, sometimes, they would leave out a small detail that would change the color all together, so the failure to make the color produces another color that will not be made again most probably.

Another way odd lots get to be is while mixing the batch, sometimes you do not add enought of this or that and add it in when you are aware the color is not looking correct but some glass gets made while fixing the batch and thats odd. Sometimes it's a nice color, sometimes not, But there is a need for every color. and Not all colors are ever given a number , No need to really have a number if it's not going to be reproduced, there was no number on the bundle of rods samantha brought home with her.

Monique

"Well Behaved Woman Rarely Make history"
Old 2005-06-14, 6:06am
A True Woofer

I have a picture of the new odd Pale Ink Blue. I love it! The base of the lentils, the small spacers and the transparent on top of the flower petals are all the pale ink blue.
Attached Images

Old 2005-06-14, 7:01am

Gorgeous! I love your beads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaGirlBT
I have a picture of the new odd Pale Ink Blue. I love it! The base of the lentils, the small spacers and the transparent on top of the flower petals are all the pale ink blue.
Old 2005-06-16, 11:44am

Question

Hi, I'm new! I'll introduce myself elsewhere but have a question about this thread. Where did you get the odd Pale Ink Blue? I have looked at Jodel Glass and Frantz and don't see anything listed by that name. Is it all gone or is there another name for it?

Thanks very much!
Old 2005-06-16, 11:58am
needs to light the torch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoDel
Misty Rose is an odd lot of glass, I sent my daughter on a lampworking fiesta at one of the distributors, she was given a grand tour of the lampworking supplies and rods as well, while she was there, she brought me home the bundle of glass that was something I did not have in stock, nor would it ever be in stock again, she asked if they had something that I did not have to surprise me, She knows I love ofdd lots of glass and is a Sweetheart, I'm sending her to lauscha this year!!!! I told her to search the corners for me. When odd colors come in, I don't always know what number they derived from, Most of the time it's when they are changing from one color to another.

But that Misty rose is much lighter than light pink, The color is more perkier too, It won't be made again and I am now out of stock on the item, BUT, did get loads of new Lauscha and Some odd Lots of glass from there as well today. Hope this answers your question.

Odd Lots are accidents most of the time, also failures to reproduce an actual color that was made before in the same compnay BUT By a different person usually from a different generation, When they try to reproduce a color that 100 years old, sometimes they come up with a whole new color, you see, the old glass makers would write the recipe for all to use in future generations, BUT, Glass Making was a Big Secret for so long, sometimes, they would leave out a small detail that would change the color all together, so the failure to make the color produces another color that will not be made again most probably.

Another way odd lots get to be is while mixing the batch, sometimes you do not add enought of this or that and add it in when you are aware the color is not looking correct but some glass gets made while fixing the batch and thats odd. Sometimes it's a nice color, sometimes not, But there is a need for every color. and Not all colors are ever given a number , No need to really have a number if it's not going to be reproduced, there was no number on the bundle of rods samantha brought home with her.

Monique
Monique!!! Your daughter is going to Lauscha?????
I am SOOO jealous!!
Can you ask her to look for more of the tri-colored green??
It is one of my favorites

Old 2005-06-16, 12:56pm
A True Woofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie
Hi, I'm new! I'll introduce myself elsewhere but have a question about this thread. Where did you get the odd Pale Ink Blue? I have looked at Jodel Glass and Frantz and don't see anything listed by that name. Is it all gone or is there another name for it?

Thanks very much!

Hi Maggie, I got mine from Frantz. It's an odd lot effetre color 058-P, I think.