Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2014-08-29, 10:36am

Exclamation Moving States, Need Propane Help asap

Hey,
TIA! I know this subject has been discussed (I've read it but YEARS ago) but I'm having trouble finding it and really need help!

We're moving. I haven't been able to torch in about 5 YEARS!!!! Ugh!! (I know, I know sacrilege & major sacrifice. It sucks!)
Sooo...
Here's my question/issue:
I have a 30lb propane tank that's *just* under 1/2 full. And of course my family is moving approx 5-6 hrs away so I need to transport this thing w/either my 6yr old, my cat, or both in my car so I really need to empty it. Honestly, if it were just me in the car, I'd take it as is.

How on God's green earth do I get the propane out safely?? I think I remember reading to never let it out in the air. Plus, my concentrator seems to be screwed and since I can't use it, I can't run my Mini CC for hours on end��

Any questions? Please just ask away.

Help meeee! Please?
Thanks!!

(Ok. Trying to be kinda funny and failing miserably )

"Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time." ~Thomas Merton

Last edited by Peach Blossom Beads; 2014-09-01 at 9:11am. Reason: Spelling
Old 2014-08-29, 10:40am
hyperT

Sell it and buy a new full one when you get there.
Old 2014-08-29, 10:47am

That's a great idea hyperT!
But... I paid a lot for this one, don't really have the $ atm, and just spent 2 weeks in the new state. Didn't see anywhere that sells the 30lb either I'm sure if it comes down to it I can find a place to buy one but my major question: How do i get the propane out of this tank? (Whether I take it or not)?

"Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time." ~Thomas Merton

Last edited by Peach Blossom Beads; 2014-08-29 at 10:48am. Reason: Fat fingers!
Old 2014-08-29, 11:06am
hyperT

BBQ............A lot lol
Old 2014-08-29, 11:07am
hyperT

Take it to a propane company and have them do it for you.
Old 2014-08-29, 12:15pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperT View Post
BBQ............A lot lol
LMFAO!! That's wicked awesome! And honestly, you've been incredibly helpful . TY!

I totally LOVE grilling and BBQ. But uh... ya know, I totally would do that but "ahem" *someone* (aka the husband) can't seem to tell me if our grill is working correctly. Like wtf. Seriously? No. I don't wanna check it out myself BUT I don't feel like waiting an hour either. Grrrr!

Ok. So besides my pissed off dramatics, I don't think I'd use ~15lbs of propane even if I grilled every night for a month :/ There's gotta be a way to do this!

(PS: is swearing allowed on LE? It's been way too long & I forgot. Sad. Really sad ;(

Old 2014-08-29, 12:25pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Take it to a propane company and have them do it for you.
Oh SNAP! Sorry I didn't see this!

I have a company I used to go to constantly even tho they're kinda fat. Those guys are awesome! I'm sure they can do it. Course, I have another question... (Yes. Yes I am ridiculous )

Ok, question:
I always go to a fantastic hardware store at the top of my street to have my tanks filled. (Yeah, we have 2...my 30 pounder & the grill's 20 pounder). Think they could empty it (or both) for me? I can tell if they do everything right, just not sure if I need to take a ride to the company above? What do you think? I wanted to get this done today but not so sure that'll happen. Dammit

TY for taking the time to deal w/me!!!!

Old 2014-08-29, 1:11pm
hyperT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peach Blossom Beads View Post
Oh SNAP! Sorry I didn't see this!

I have a company I used to go to constantly even tho they're kinda fat. Those guys are awesome! I'm sure they can do it. Course, I have another question... (Yes. Yes I am ridiculous )

Ok, question:
I always go to a fantastic hardware store at the top of my street to have my tanks filled. (Yeah, we have 2...my 30 pounder & the grill's 20 pounder). Think they could empty it (or both) for me? I can tell if they do everything right, just not sure if I need to take a ride to the company above? What do you think? I wanted to get this done today but not so sure that'll happen. Dammit

TY for taking the time to deal w/me!!!!
That's something you would have to ask them.
Old 2014-08-29, 2:10pm

Quote:
That's something you would have to ask them.
Yeah, I figured that but figured I'd ask to see if anyone had experience with stores like that or thought it was possible. Eh, maybe I'll take the thing with me. It's not like it should blow up & I've transported them many many times before. I just really want this one empty. I will ask the hardware store first, then the company I used to frequent.
Thanks again

Old 2014-08-31, 9:08pm

Is there a national store locally that exchanges tanks?
Wondering if you could drop off your tank at the local shop and pick up a tank once your there.
I'm thinking welding supply shops or retail giants that exchange/refill tanks.
For a while tractor supply had an exchange program.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-09-01, 3:21am
kinda torching....

if yo take it somewhere the onoy thing they will do is vent the tank off into the air. you coukd sell it on craigslist but honestly id just take it with you. lpg tanks are very safe to transport and not that big either. id just load them up next to the grill but do make sure they are safely strapped down!

Old 2014-09-01, 9:07am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhamilton117 View Post
if yo take it somewhere the onoy thing they will do is vent the tank off into the air. you coukd sell it on craigslist but honestly id just take it with you. lpg tanks are very safe to transport and not that big either. id just load them up next to the grill but do make sure they are safely strapped down!
Yeah, I've been thinking about it and was leaning towards just doing this because...why not? And I wasn't sure what the welding place or hardware store were going to do so...good to know. I couldn't care less about transporting it. It's the hubby that, although he knows it's fine, will probably freak a bit since he doesn't "get it" like I do. And he's such a guy. You'd think her get it! Even though it's 30lbs, I'm taking it full or empty. Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by losthelm View Post
Is there a national store locally that exchanges tanks?
Wondering if you could drop off your tank at the local shop and pick up a tank once your there.
I'm thinking welding supply shops or retail giants that exchange/refill tanks.
For a while tractor supply had an exchange program.
We do have many places to exchange but I own this tank. I actually own 2. So exchange isn't an option but thanks so much for the idea
UGH! Sucks I just can't use it! Thanks for the idea.

Last edited by Peach Blossom Beads; 2014-09-01 at 9:09am. Reason: Added info
Old 2014-09-01, 9:14am

Wow. Fercryinoutloud! I just re-read my initial post and I sound like a huge weenie. Sorry 'bout that.
I promise, I ain't that fragile!

Old 2014-09-02, 9:23am
honorary bead lady

Travel trailers and RV's travel with them on the road daily (that should freak hubby out) just take it with you!
Old 2014-09-02, 2:35pm
Alaska Boro

Looks like the key is to have the tank on the outside of any vehicle. That way any leaks will dissipate. i.e. as pointed out above.
Old 2014-11-24, 1:26pm

We live in a remote area in Spain. The gas company does not come as far as us - so for the last fourteen years we have been transporting propane back from the nearest town.
Never had a problem although I´m sure it would be frowned on by those in charge!
Anyone in Spain that knows where I can find an adaptor to fit our tanks? New torch is arriving soon and I would hate to have to just look at for weeks.
Sue (Spiderfire)

Tags
help me! ;), mini cc, propane, safety