No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-02-10, 10:08am
Uh-oh means it's too late

Default In search of the best opaque purple in soft glass

OKay so I have a customer who wants a bracelet made with purple glass- sounds easy but she showed me a paint chip of the color she is after- it resembles a non streaky form the Gaffer Royal Purple/ Rose Purple but all candy coat if that makes any sense- now the bead style she is after is a mix of my petal beads and the new line art beads I have been doing- I told her that for the line art I would layer transparent over white so that the lines show up but for the petal beads she wants a more opq look for the petals. All of the purples I have here at my studio seem to go very pale under encasement or else are not the right shade- I would be willing to get it in any COE from 90-104 since they will be for those beads only.

What is the best you can recommend that would keep its candy coat color under encasement and still look good and purple??

Many Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-02-10, 11:19am
Flaming my life away

Hi Michelle,
Bullseye makes a Royal Purple in both opaque and transparent that is very pretty and very dark. Maybe that will work.
Old 2012-02-10, 11:27am
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

COE 96 Purple Rose by Reichenbach...?

http://lutrick.blogspot.com/2011/07/...-rose-new.html

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2012-02-10, 12:16pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Ok, my favorite purple is Grape Ape from CIM. I know there are fancier, more expensive purples out there, but for the money, Grape Ape is AWESOME, and it's my favorite shade of purple too. As with most CIM glass, it melts great, is compatible with lots of other glass, and makes for happy beads.

HTH!

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-02-10, 1:06pm

Thank you so much ladies! Aimee- I need to encase Grape Ape and see how it does under encasing- Joy as for the Purple Rose I have no idea if it holds it color under encasing either so that will be an experiment too.

Dagmar- I have a TON of BE purple glass that I hoarded over the years- you would think that it being my favorite color I would have the answer to this question but sadly what I am running into is the color going super pale under encasement

Here is a link to the color I am aiming for- it is a set from Kim Neely and I can safely say in all my travels so to speak I have never seen the rod that this glass came from if anyone knows that would be great!
http://www.bluffroadglass.com/Galler...reliefset.html

Old 2012-02-10, 1:18pm

Michelle, I am not familiar with the color "non streaky form the Gaffer Royal Purple/ Rose Purple", but have been dying to try the Bella Donna Royal Purple BD-06. It is an "easter egg" purple in photos and trials.

It may be TOO purple for what you're wanting to do. Scroll down link below to see Royal purple, then scroll further to see the techniques using it. YUM!

http://arrowsprings.com/html/belladonna_glass.html

-kristy
Old 2012-02-10, 1:30pm
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDoorBeads View Post
Thank you so much ladies! Aimee- I need to encase Grape Ape and see how it does under encasing- Joy as for the Purple Rose I have no idea if it holds it color under encasing either so that will be an experiment too.

Dagmar- I have a TON of BE purple glass that I hoarded over the years- you would think that it being my favorite color I would have the answer to this question but sadly what I am running into is the color going super pale under encasement

Here is a link to the color I am aiming for- it is a set from Kim Neely and I can safely say in all my travels so to speak I have never seen the rod that this glass came from if anyone knows that would be great!
Michelle, it looks like it could be a Lauscha. I am not home at the moment but I have some and it looks just like it and it reacts with turquoise just like that. And it is 104!

Old 2012-02-10, 1:49pm

Kristy- funny you should post that cuz I was looking at that thinking it might do the trick

Joy- if you could check that would be AWESOME! I was also thinking enamel powder over one of the purples might give me what I am after. If not I will be banking on your purple!! HUGS to all!!

Old 2012-02-10, 1:51pm
Lampworkaholic!

Reichenback Lilac (RL-6221 Lilac) is a true non-streaky stable purple.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-02-10, 2:12pm

ooh Michelle, if you try that BellaDonna purple, please post pics for us purpleholics (you know who you are!). I haven't seen anyone in Atlanta area yet use that color...or maybe have missed. It's gorgeous though. I will ask at next Southern Flames meeting if anyone's tried.
-Kristy
Old 2012-02-10, 2:14pm

I second the Lauscha
Old 2012-02-10, 2:26pm

Elizabeth- I have a rod of that I think- do you know how it behaves under encasement?

Kristy- I will be placing a glass order shortly from Arrowsprings as I need mandrels as well so I figured that Arrowsprings would be a great place to start- I also need to place an order at OCR but I need to wait for the funding lol

Old 2012-02-10, 2:27pm

yellowbird- Thank you I may find that a combo of those purples listed will give me the look I am after! You guys are such a support!! I will post pics of the beads made with some test beads and how things are coming along- I think it is the best way to keep everyone posted

Old 2012-02-10, 2:40pm
Queen Bee

Quote:

Why not ask Kim if she'll divulge the purple she used in the set? Who knows, she may tell us!

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2012-02-10, 3:26pm
Denise

The purple spacers and scroll beads in Kim Neely's set look like Lauscha, unfortunately it's incompatible with most other glasses and therefore can't be encased. The encased purple she used looks like ink blue over ivory or white. I'm not aware of a purple that stays dark by itself, I would try ink blue, enamels or frit over one of the paler purples.

Old 2012-02-10, 3:42pm
Queen Bee

Well, I'd buy it just to use by itself 'cause it's so pretty - might you know the lauscha color for the purple? Or is it just called Lauscha purple, lol? I've never tried Lauscha, but maybe it's time

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2012-02-10, 3:54pm
Denise

I think it was called Hawaiian purple but I'm not 100% on that.

Old 2012-02-10, 4:34pm
Lampworkaholic!

Be careful with Hawaiian Purple, I have had compatibility issues with Effetre, tiny fissures where the two glasses intersect ...

I don't think I have encased the Lilac but I know DeAnne uses it in her murrini and loves it.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-02-10, 5:09pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

This is the prettiest purple I've run across. I used some in the below beads & it stays true.

Reichenbach "Lilac" 104 COE (RL-6221)

Vivian

-

Old 2012-02-10, 5:22pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKS View Post
The purple spacers and scroll beads in Kim Neely's set look like Lauscha, unfortunately it's incompatible with most other glasses and therefore can't be encased.
You can't even use it with a lot of other colors.
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...t=purple+crack

Old 2012-02-10, 6:06pm
Smile, it's contagious!

Quote:

It looks like 591247 pastel ink blue (some call it light lavender, lavender opaque, light lavender blue, and I'm sure some other names) to me, the handpulled not machine made.

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2012-02-10, 9:55pm

If you are speaking of the solid purple spacer beads in Kim's set the color is almost a dead ringer for Gaffer Purpur G-114, one of the friendliest opaque purples you could find. I haven't noticed any compatibility issues. Another possibility is G-115 Violet.

http://www.gafferglassusa.com/Detail...761&category=7

http://www.gafferglassusa.com/Detail...762&category=7

Last edited by Dreamsincolor; 2012-02-10 at 9:59pm.
Old 2012-02-10, 10:29pm
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

I do in fact seem to have the Hawian purple that has had trouble with encasement. I have never had trouble with it, but I haven't tried to encase it that I can think of. If you want some Michelle, let me know.

Old 2012-02-11, 10:42am

Thank you all for coming in and helping me out with this!
Where to start- First off Amy I had to chuckle because on my search for purple I came across your thread about the cracking and fissures and I don't think I am ready for the possible disappointment that would come with that! Your thread helped me so much!!

Donna- I was thinking of contacting Kim- that said I decided to try some experiments on my own and I think Dreamsincolor could be onto something- I have used Gaffer Purpur unencased and it gave me a purplegasam!!!! I just need to see if it holds good color under encasement.

I have 2 beads in the kiln now and for the petal beads the colors I used are as follows- Thai Orchid (good stuff!) with a layer of Dark Violet transparent over, white with dark violet, lilac with dark violet, now the Lilac does go a bit lighter but the dark violet helps to counteract that. I should have pics by this evening of those beads.

Next step will be to start with the Gaffer colors which I love!

Joy, I still may get a rod from you of that glass but most of my work I use quite a bit of detail so I am petrified of cracking!!!!

Old 2012-02-11, 10:46am

Vivian- THank you so much for those pics!! I agree this is a gorgeous purple!!! I am so glad I have a rod or 2 left of this!!! Love the combo of those beads too!!

If anyone else has any pics of purple beads that have this color I am looking for please share!!! Happy Saturday!!

Old 2012-02-11, 8:29pm

That set is in Kim's book Bluff Road Art Glass. She describes it "Effetre Copper Green (base of all encased beads); Lauscha Purple opaque; stringer decoration in Effetre Light Ivory and Effetre Ink Blue; Vetrofond Crystal Clear encasing.
Old 2012-02-11, 10:05pm
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

He he... purplegasm.

Old 2012-02-12, 6:50pm

Ingetraud- Thank you so much for that! I had her book on my other computer's hard drive that crashed I never thought about it being in there lol-

Joy- hehehehehehe I will upload those pics after i get the goof ball 6 year old to bed lol

Old 2012-02-13, 11:42am
randomly active member

Another vote for Reichenbach Lilac RL-6221.

Girls Night by beadbijoux, on Flickr
.:.