Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-08-16, 11:38am

Default BA (borosilicate anonymous)

hello my name is michael and i'm a boro addict. it's been 6 hours since my last fix, and my hands are starting to shake.

then there's the issue, i have a ton of soft glass that i don't want to use and can't bring myself to sell due to it being gifted.

do all you boro workers usually stick with the same coe for the most part, or do you travel between boro and the 90-104 route?
every day i light my torch i tell myself two soft bhb charm beads and a soft glass marble, then on to boro. then i find myself hurrying to get to the boro.

am i all alone with this curse?
Old 2012-08-16, 12:24pm
Gonna get blow'd up!

I just started playing with boro....and I love it for it's resilience and more phantomy colors. However...104 is still my baby. Once I upgrade to a bigger torch that may change.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-08-16, 12:47pm

Well I have done boro almost exclusivly since I started a year and a half ago and now I find myself playing with soft glass so I would say keep it unless you have a space issue.
Oh and I just got a boro fix myself

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#C-151
Old 2012-08-16, 1:48pm

I can go months with boro and then it'll do something to tick me off, so I put it all away and get out my soft glass again. Then a few months later soft glass will tick me off and I put it all away and get the boro out again. Lather, rinse, repeat. Well....it's not ALL me getting mad at the glass. Sometimes I'll get a request for something or get an idea and that's all it takes.

Old 2012-08-16, 3:03pm
Progression in progress

Location: please ask for where i live to send items thank you

Hello my name is James its been 2 months now since ive had my last boro fix. The withdrawals are getting i am having hallucinations of boro work, marbles, implosions, sculptures, everything boro.

I have even considered stealing my girlfriends soft glass i dont know how much longer i can last.
Old 2012-08-16, 4:21pm

I'm multi-glassual. I'll gladly reach for the boro first ... but I like my fix of soft silvered glass, frit play with 96 and florals with BE.

I had to ration myself though ... I do get ocd on any one type of glass frequently. Boro implosions being my absolute worst addiction ... oooo that's need ... what if I add a little bit of this color.

Old 2012-08-16, 4:31pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lewis View Post
Hello my name is James its been 2 months now since ive had my last boro fix. The withdrawals are getting i am having hallucinations of boro work, marbles, implosions, sculptures, everything boro.

I have even considered stealing my girlfriends soft glass i dont know how much longer i can last.
dude that's funny shit!

three muses glass....i see myself going down that same road.
Old 2012-08-16, 7:26pm

OK so after spending tha last few sessions at the torch making soft glass beads I made some boro eye cane today wich I love doing then since I had boro on the bench I made some boro beads which I have made lots, of but now after making soft glass beads I could not stand trying to make beads in boro lol. so I quess for beads I will use soft glass and for sculpture, blown work and marbles I will use boro for now any way

#C-151
Old 2012-08-16, 7:27pm
Progression in progress

And the fact of by this time next week ill have the new studio up just makes the itch worse i have even developed a tick!!!! *shakes and shutters* I think i need medical help *twitch*
Old 2012-08-16, 7:33pm

Haven't you ever heard of "regifting"? I'll send you my address. Oh, and I can stop anytime I want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
then there's the issue, i have a ton of soft glass that i don't want to use and can't bring myself to sell due to it being gifted.

Old 2012-08-16, 8:22pm
Progression in progress

The first step in helping yourself with addiction is to admit you have a problem.
Old 2012-08-17, 2:39am

dude if your near VT come on down to torch!

lol, precious few here that are close to or are in VT.

on a side note, i'm getting a huge fix today. i've got a small bundle of GA colors, and a big bundle of Momka's. also a case of 1" heavy wall, two 5' rods of 22mm simax marble stock, plenty of punty and blowtubes, yea i'm going to burn the shit out of some glass today!
full propane tank and a cooler full of frosty beverages will make for a nice day. not too hot either, a high of 78f today, low humidity.

Last edited by istandalone24/7; 2012-08-17 at 5:20am.
Old 2012-08-17, 5:01am

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
Haven't you ever heard of "regifting"? I'll send you my address. Oh, and I can stop anytime I want to.
are you in the raogk? if not, pm me your address. of course i'll share! like i said i won't sell it due to it being gifted, but i can put together a nice bundle for you if you wish (free of course).
Old 2012-08-17, 6:40am

I've been back and forth between the two. I have hit on a soft glass run but have the itch starting for boro again.

And....OOOOHHHH! I like gifts .

Make sure to hang on to some though. You will find one day you may want to play again.

Dweezil
Old 2012-08-17, 7:02am

That is so nice of you. Maybe we can make a trade. I don't know if I have anything you want

Quote:
are you in the raogk? if not, pm me your address. of course i'll share! like i said i won't sell it due to it being gifted, but i can put together a nice bundle for you if you wish (free of course).

Old 2012-08-17, 7:41am
Progression in progress

I live out in KS there are some glass blowers around the only problem is their all the type that dont want anything to do with you unless you have the money for the time which really sucks since they all live a good hour or more away. The good part is the town that i live in has pretty much no glass work to speak of here history wise. Im really hoping to be able to do a demo some time here. Im not going to be doing as much pipe work as i used to im going back to the basics that i learned in soft glass. All of the implosions, sculpture work, just alot of stuff i didnt do because i was so stuck on learning the hollow form. Which was fun an all but it has served its purpose now for the most part. But on a different not the itch has gotten worse i have begun to dream of boro glass in my sleep. The temptation to steal the soft is getting worse. I woke up this morning in the cornering rocking back and forth. Lol i hope no one takes this stuff seriously lol.
Old 2012-08-17, 10:14am

dude that's hilarious.
glass is the first thing i think of (well, maybe 2nd) in the am, and the last to think of in the pm.
then if i wake up in the middle of the night with an idea for a color combo/cane for an implosion or whatever i have to write it down, or i'll forget what the hell i was thinking.
Old 2012-08-17, 10:26am
Oh my!

Hi, my name is Tweeky and I am a boro addict. I started with boro because I was gifted with a trailer full of someone's 'trash.' (I am not kidding) I did take a 3 day intensive class with Corina Tettenger and learned that soft glass and I do not get along. I often feel the need to appologize for this, glad I am now amoung friends. It has been two days since my last fix and I am feeling the need.
Old 2012-08-17, 10:29am
Oh my!

Oh, as what to do with your soft glass, here are two ideas. 1 gift it to someone else (I see you are already exploring this option) or 2 make some beads for Beads of Courage. Either one of these options will increase your balance in the Karma bank and that is always a good thing.
Old 2012-08-17, 10:37am

yup, sure am giving some away. i hadn't thought of the BOC....something else i can do to make me feel good.

here's this morning's fix, up at 6am to make this sucker. sorry about the shoddy pic.
Old 2012-08-17, 10:51am

nice implosion. cobalt over white?, enjoying your infinete rim I see

#C-151
Old 2012-08-17, 12:14pm

i want to say it's cobalt 5 over sno white, but i don't quite remember which i used.
that mold is da bomb! well worth the $ imo.
Old 2012-08-17, 1:23pm

Quote:
i want to say it's cobalt 5 over sno white, but i don't quite remember which i used.
that mold is da bomb! well worth the $ imo.
yeah those molds are the best I have two on my bench and I just bought one for the DW so she would not steal mine any more

#C-151
Old 2012-08-17, 5:39pm

Hi I'm Carl D. I am a boro addict also. I have had some great enablers Sally Prasch, Milon Townsend, Bandhu Dunham and Roger Parramore. Took a weekend Private Class from Roger and found out you don't even need a kiln for beads' pendant's, Christmas tree ornaments, ect. by the way, don't add a lathe to the boro tubing!!!!!!!!!!! This is the point of no return!
Take this as a very firm warning- Boro is the last is the last refuge! If you buy only 1 stick of Blue Moon or Butterscotch from NS, Your finished, your a has- been !!!! WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!!!
Old 2012-08-17, 6:37pm

My name is Cleo, and I'm a closet Boro addict.
If you out me to my friends, I'll deny it!
I just started, and after alot of soft glass, and still remaining firmly in soft glass, it is really really hard to learn. it is really exciting and challenging, and fun fun fun!!!
Old 2012-08-17, 6:54pm

my name is Dave and I am just getting started with the torch. I started fusing many many moons ago. I then did a paper weight class and was in love but do not have the space needed for that (and workshops are way too far to get to). Always knew I would be using boro but again the room for the big torch.... and the oxygen tank that I would need ..... Wife has done soft glass for a while now and so have lots of that as well I just find it different to work with (neither harder or easier just different). I am a silver freak so for me the soft glass allows more development so far. still looking for that perfect marble mold (kind of like the cone shaped ones but though about that infinit... but $$$ and would like to try one first).... well I rambled but thought I would put my first post here.....
Old 2012-08-17, 9:28pm

My name is Angela and I'm a boro addict. Boxed up my soft glass this past year and although it occasionally calls to me, I've been enjoying having some room on my bench for all the great boro colors and frits there are!

Angela Kane

-One of a kind boro frit blends!
Old 2012-08-17, 11:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by framerak View Post
My name is Angela and I'm a boro addict. Boxed up my soft glass this past year and although it occasionally calls to me, I've been enjoying having some room on my bench for all the great boro colors and frits there are!
I have a boro frit problem as in I have so many the cover another bench lol

#C-151
Old 2012-08-18, 3:40am

jeez, i woke up at 530am this morning to rain and 100% humidity, was gonna go torch early but the oxycons don't like 100% humidity. luckily it's supposed to get sunny by about 10am and i can go get my fix.

i'm working on a new technique i stumbled across, fuming the inside of 1" heavy wall with gold and silver, then condense into a marble and twist. it makes really neat designs, but the one i made last night cracked in the kiln
Old 2012-08-19, 4:09am
Now part of the Dark Side

Hello, my name is Roy and I'm a molten glass addict. I recently started working with boro and I think I need to sell my house so I can have a bigger studio in a detached building. I would like to have multiple benches for COE 104 and COE 33 use.