Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc.

Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc. -- Upcoming classes, retreats, special events, Get togethers. Please delete your thread when the event is over.

Old 2009-06-14, 5:56pm

Talking Going to Australia

Wasn't sure if this was the right area to post, but here it goes anyways. I'm making a trip out to Brisbane, AUS for a couple weeks and was looking for some flameworking studios to check out and possibly some teaching prospects.
I would be out there late august to early september. Rock n' roll and I hope to meet some lamper's down unda.
-Kaj
Old 2009-06-14, 9:50pm
Bitten by the travel bug

Hi Kaj, You might want to get in touch with barabara at http://www.ozziebuddy.com/ - thats the only teaching studio I know of in Brisbane. She would also know if there were to be any bead meets in brisbane.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-06-15, 3:22am

Here's a couple of interesting places to see:

Sharon at Beadsmart is a lampworker
Shop 8, 99 Wondall Road
Manly West Qld 4179
Ph 07 3168 2161
http://www.BeadSmart.com.au/

and Tracy at Wildlight Studios often runs lampwork courses at her studio
http://www.wildlightstudios.com
30 Badminton Street, Mt Gravatt East, 4122
0414-874-382
wildlightstudio@optusnet.com.au
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5539326
http://wildlightstudios.blogspot.com/

As Suz mentioned Barbara from Ozziebuddy is absolutely lovely and they have a wonderful studio too where they run training.

Actually Brissie is a bit of a lampworking hotbed down here!

Nat

Old 2009-06-15, 11:49am

Thanks for the info Suz and Nat, much appreciated. This should be a fun trip, I only know that the I'm checking out the reef, the rest is up in the air.
Old 2009-06-15, 5:15pm
Bitten by the travel bug

If you are going up north to the reef, can I suggest 'Wavelength' out of Port Douglas. They are the only company that only take snorkellers, not divers, so they dont have to compromise on sites to suit both. They were also the first company to be licensed for particular sites up there 28 or so years ago I believe, and so they have the largets number of sites to choose from depending on weather, jellyfish etc. Ive been out with them 8 times - they have a marine biologist on every trip... just a great company.

Old 2009-06-16, 7:20pm

Sweet! Thanks Suz, I love snorkeling and I was hoping to get a dive in as well, maybe some surf, I will definitely be checking out Wavelength. I'd love to find a shop that I could teach a two day class, that could help out a little bit of tax purposes as well. Awesome you guys, lovin' the info.
-kaj
Old 2009-06-16, 7:43pm

hi,

contact wendy berkamin of berkamin beads. she knows most the lampworkers in that region and could probably help you. google her name and you will find her studio. she was recently in the united states for bead and button so she may still be traveling. i do know that she does check her email.
Old 2009-06-16, 11:32pm

We are having our next meeting at Tracey's studio (Wildlight Studio) (The brisbane group of lampworkers) so let us know when you will be in town and we will see about keeping you entertained. Our usual meets are on a Sunday but we could make a Saturday too if necessary. Would love to have you as a guest for chit chat, coffee and eats.

Kym

Last edited by Kym; 2009-06-16 at 11:35pm.
Old 2009-06-17, 1:39am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgurden View Post
hi,

contact wendy berkamin of berkamin beads. she knows most the lampworkers in that region and could probably help you. google her name and you will find her studio. she was recently in the united states for bead and button so she may still be traveling. i do know that she does check her email.
Try Wendy Bergamin in google...might find her quicker.
Old 2009-06-17, 3:42am

oops spelled her name wrong-thanks
Old 2009-06-21, 9:14pm

Kimmy G offers workshops as well. She is situated near the Glasshouse Mountains which is between Brissy and the Sunshine Coast. (North of Brissy).

She has a lot to do with the new Yandina Glass Factory as well.

You can find her via http://www.northcoastbeadmakers.com/

Last edited by DebbieL; 2009-06-21 at 9:17pm.
Old 2009-06-22, 12:28am

Hi Kaj,

Hopefully you will be able to join us at our next meet!, there is a fair group of us that get together, Im sure everyone would be thrilled to meet you!!!.....

Everyone usually bring lots of beads to check out! along with friendly gossip & a bite to eat....So Im sure you will have a fantastic time!!

I too would recommend Tracy's & Kimmy Gs studios.... they are also both experienced teachers with well equipt teaching studios ....

Sally Shepherd

Last edited by HappilyEverArtist; 2009-06-22 at 2:36am.
Old 2009-06-23, 12:54am

Wow, thanks for all these leads, it will really help mapping out my vacation. You guys/gals rule!
On another note, I spent the weekend up at N8 Miers studio and we made a 4 pound 6 ounce dichroic boro galaxy sphere, pretty carazy stuff.

-Kaj