Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-12-31, 6:04pm
Who? Me?

Default level of difficulty for beadrollers?

Hi everyone!

I've been admiring everyone's beads made with Donna's beadrollers. I have been thinking about picking one up with some of the money DH gave me to indulge in my newly found love. My question is...what is the learning curve for using these? Are there ones that are easier than others? As I have only been torching off and on since this past summer, I don't want to spend a lot of money on tools if it will be out of my ability range. I have not used any other tools other than the basics and can do a good basic round/donut shape bead. I'll be doing better too...DH was a sweetie and got me "Passing the Flame" as well What do you guys think? Thanks!

Cindy
Old 2010-12-31, 6:21pm
Salt Box Beads

Donna has some videos that make it VERY easy to use these. Just follow the steps in the clips and Viola'

Lorraine
Old 2010-12-31, 6:45pm
Queen Bee

I think there is an initial learning curve, but once you have your "ah, hah!" moment it's all good. I have over a dozen and couldn't live without them, but it did take me a little practice to get them working well for me. You might want to start with the donut BR as a first try

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2010-12-31, 7:04pm

As long as you can make a good round and donut shape you should be fine. I got the one that has the four basic shapes, round, disc, barrel and oval. Once you figure out how much glass you need on the mandrel for each shape its very easy to use. I particularly like the disc and the round myself and am hoping to pick up a couple more of her rollers soon.

Old 2010-12-31, 7:37pm
Hobby Junkie

My favorite is the ribbed quint. It makes very elegant looking beads. I didn't think there was much of a learning curve at all with any of the round shapes.

Old 2010-12-31, 8:26pm
Who? Me?

Thanks guys! I had watched the videos, but I was afraid that it may not be as easy being just a newbie. I think I will def give it a go...now which one??? hmmmm...I really like the looks of the ribbed rollers...decisions, decisions, LOL!

Best wishes for a happy new year!
Cindy
Old 2010-12-31, 9:16pm
GlassDocNC

Ribbed rounds. Hands down the easiest and coolest toy in my stash at the moment. The ridges make me happy.
Old 2010-12-31, 9:27pm
Hobby Junkie

Ribbed quint is nice because it has 5 different shapes to play with.

Old 2010-12-31, 11:15pm
OY and Psyche Junkie

Practically no learning curve at all. After two or three beads, you'll have it down! The only problem is . . . which one to choose! I'm really loving the ribbed beadrollers!

Cheers
Kathy

Minor with one concentrator

Old 2011-01-01, 12:31pm
Fire n Sand Glass Art

Love my ribbed quint too, and I have a smooth multi shaped one too can't remember the name of it. I have the disc pandora one which is a little harder to use and get consistent results from inmo.

If you're only getting one of them I'd go with a multi shaped one like the ribbed quint.

Oh and I saw some similar rollers at Howaco glass, think it is a newer company since the variety of shapes is less. The price is less too, you might want to check them out.

~
~
~
~