No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-01-03, 3:10pm
put a bird on it

Default Beadrollers with Boro?

I am struggling to use my beadrollers with boro, but I have seem some folks say that they are able to do so. I'm wondering if anyone can give me tips?

I am using a pandora-hole size round bead roller. It's mostly the ends that are giving me fits - I just can't get them perfectly even. The boro cools so quickly when it hits the roller! I have found it to be slightly easier as the roller heats up. Any other tips would be much appreciated!
Old 2011-01-03, 4:01pm

Boro chills very quickly, so you have to work very fast.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-01-04, 11:17am
put a bird on it

Thx, Eric. I'm sure it is the quick chill that's making it difficult. Anyone else have any experience with this?
Old 2011-01-04, 11:19am
Pyromaniac

I don't have a bead roller, but I've noticed with presses that I have to get it very hot and press quickly. It may even take a couple of presses to get it right so rolling it a few times may work the best.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-01-04, 11:24am
Does it come in Purple???

I use the bead rollers and it takes a little getting used to but it can definitely be done. Patience, try, and then repeat. I use mostly the jumbo disc roller and then the pandora variety roller. I really want to try the ribbed rollers.

~~

Bloodletting, mayhem and massacre first thing in the morning is the best way to start the day
Old 2011-01-04, 11:58am

I'm having the same problem. I'm using the ribbed bead rollers and finally gave up and just use it with soft glass. My patience runs out and frustration sets in pretty quickly.

Angela Kane

-One of a kind boro frit blends!
Old 2011-01-04, 1:44pm

I, too, have trouble using the bead rollers with boro. Glass cools too quickly. I use them exclusively for soft glass.

Old 2011-01-04, 3:53pm
put a bird on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginkgoglass View Post
I don't have a bead roller, but I've noticed with presses that I have to get it very hot and press quickly. It may even take a couple of presses to get it right so rolling it a few times may work the best.
Hi Lana, Day 3, still no success
I am always able to make presses work with boro as well... I am wondering if I ought to throw in the towel with the roller and try Zoozii's pandora charm box press instead. My only goal is a nice, centered bead on a 3/16" mandrel for coring.....
Old 2011-01-04, 3:55pm
put a bird on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuskinDesigns View Post
I use the bead rollers and it takes a little getting used to but it can definitely be done. Patience, try, and then repeat. I use mostly the jumbo disc roller and then the pandora variety roller. I really want to try the ribbed rollers.
Hi Jodie,

I have wondered if it might be easier with another roller that is not for BHBs. I would love to try the ribbed as well...
thx!
Old 2011-01-04, 3:57pm
put a bird on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by blr2449 View Post
I, too, have trouble using the bead rollers with boro. Glass cools too quickly. I use them exclusively for soft glass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by framerak View Post
I'm having the same problem. I'm using the ribbed bead rollers and finally gave up and just use it with soft glass. My patience runs out and frustration sets in pretty quickly.
I have considered breaking out the soft glass for these, but it's been so long, I'm sure I'd end up with a pile of fugly puddles ! lol
Old 2011-01-04, 4:33pm

Hi, I sucessfully use the donut bead roller with my boro glass. It
does take a couple of goes to get it right. I think you are making it
harder by useing The Pandora bead roller. I have trouble with boro
Pandora style beads, even without useing a bead roller. With a
Pandora bead there is alot of glass & only a limited area of contact
between the mandrel & boro glass, so there is difficulty.
Old 2011-01-04, 5:26pm

I've used the ribbed roller with boro. It does take several heat and rolls. I haven't done it enough to actually make a set yet as so far the colors just aren't bright enough to make it worth it. I still want to play with it a bit more before I decide if I want to keep it.
Old 2011-01-04, 5:33pm
put a bird on it

Rose,
Are you using a regular sized mandrel, then? 1/8" or something? Would live to see when you are done!
Old 2011-01-04, 5:50pm
Rare Florida Native

I would love to see some boro examples with the bead roller too if anyone has some to share.

Old 2011-04-12, 4:40pm

Does heating the bead roller help any?

Minor
Old 2011-04-13, 7:45am
Oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beybey View Post
Does heating the bead roller help any?
I can only speak from my experience, but yes, it helps. I often hold mine under the flame to sort of warm it up a bit. That way the graphite doesn't seem to suck the heat out of the glass so fast.
Old 2011-04-13, 7:59am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Ann View Post
I would love to see some boro examples with the bead roller too if anyone has some to share.
Here are a few made with the ribbed chunky donut, chunky donut and barrel. I use the beadrollers for both soft and boro .... just gotta get boro LOTS hotter and build it up as you go.

Old 2011-04-14, 4:47am
Glassmangler

I haven't used the bead roller, but when I'm using an optic mold to do boro millis, I keep it in the kiln until I'm ready to use it.
Old 2011-04-14, 5:12am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
Here are a few made with the ribbed chunky donut, chunky donut and barrel. I use the beadrollers for both soft and boro .... just gotta get boro LOTS hotter and build it up as you go.

I do the same and have gotten results with both the regular and ribbed rollers.

Old 2011-04-14, 6:02am
Hobby Junkie

I use my rollers with boro all of the time. After getting the basic shape, I don't reheat the whole bead, just parts of it. Heat the top, then roll. Heat the bottom, then roll. Heat the middle, then roll.