No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-11-17, 7:30pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

Default usps question

ok, on the flat rate boxes, has anyone ever had their package they mailed out s ent back two days later, all blurred, with a sticky note on it stating please put new labels on these? WTF. they were not wet or smeared when I put them in blue mailbox on the corner. I didnt get the mail till this evening, called the post office 800 number they gave me another number to call, course they dont open until tomorrow.your not suppose to tape over the damn bar codes, so WTF??? I cant tell you how many times they have left my stuff in the rain by my garage, only to find it three days later soaking wet. thank god it was glass. The boxes are perfectly fine, just the stupid label is all smeared. Are they going to make me pay for these again?

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2010-11-18, 5:53am
Glassmangler

Probably. I put clear packing tape over all my labels to avoid this situation, even the ones I laser print.
Old 2010-11-18, 10:41am

If you printed from ebay or paypal, you can reprint as long as they didn't scan your package, you should be o.k.
Old 2010-11-18, 11:38am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterGlass View Post
Probably. I put clear packing tape over all my labels to avoid this situation, even the ones I laser print.
Same here and haven't had one returned yet, for any reason.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-11-18, 12:15pm
Fire n Sand Glass Art

I put clear tape over just the tracking number below the code but not the bar code itself. I also put a strip of tape over the address making sure it covers the "ship to" and my return address.

Hearing what happened to you reinforces that I'm not being anal (again). Figure it would still be readable where it counts. If you cover the bar code too ... a postal worker might be too lazy to punch the numbers in by hand since the reflection from the tape might prevent the scanner gun from reading it.

Sorry this happened to you. I would try to reprint it through paypal and ask for a refund for the original.

Just got back from the post office myself, had them scan 3 packages while I waited to make sure they got entered in the system. I usually print, pay postage and ship from the house but had 2 boxes too big for my mailbox and wanted them scanned in.

We have a 2-1/2 men PO here, nice that we're all on a first name basis.

~
~
~
~
Old 2010-11-18, 12:20pm
Fire n Sand Glass Art

oh and Mike and I were talking about the scanning thing. I told him I saw 5-6 tracking entries all at the same place when checking on an order I was waiting for.

He told me they get a "black mark" if they miss a scan so sometimes they're a little scan-happy.

~
~
~
~
Old 2010-11-23, 9:19pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

yeah, I didnt tape the whole entire thing because my sister in law told me to make sure I didnt tape over any bar codes, and it was raining outside. Yah, I had to pay for both of them again, and my luck, one of them was international. They told me unless I had insured it, I was sol. They also told me they tape over the barcodes, so for now on, Im tapin the whole damn thing. This is the first time Ive started printing out my own labels, what the hell kinda luck is that, my first packages I sent out@\

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2010-11-24, 3:57am
Help i am on fire

the usps is o stupid, cleaarly staes don't tape over bar code . now they say it's ok i would use this fact w/ the PM to not have to pay again. not your fault they got them wet.
Old 2010-11-24, 1:53pm

When I printed labels with my inkjet printer I used to tape over everything except a quarter inch of the barcode.

Considering the nature of bureaucrats, I suspect that they did not want the barcode to be covered with opaque tape.

Steve

Old 2011-01-04, 2:47pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

I have a question that should fit in this thread. I am almost positive I saw this answered, but maybe it was in the Bathroom. Anyway, I just bought the Avery labels for my USPS mailings, and I don't want to use both sides in one mailing. The receipt prints on the other side. Can someone tell me how to set up to just print on one-half of the sheet?
Thanks so much.
Old 2011-01-04, 3:27pm
Experimentalist

I don't see the harm in taping over half of the bar code. The lines are the same at the top as they are at the bottom. That way, there is always a half left untaped and always a half left without smudges.

Old 2011-01-04, 4:25pm
put a bird on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittypat View Post
I have a question that should fit in this thread. I am almost positive I saw this answered, but maybe it was in the Bathroom. Anyway, I just bought the Avery labels for my USPS mailings, and I don't want to use both sides in one mailing. The receipt prints on the other side. Can someone tell me how to set up to just print on one-half of the sheet?
Thanks so much.
Pat, the way I do this is to cut the Avery sheet before running it though the printer - hth!
Old 2011-01-04, 5:30pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Elise, you are wonderful!! Simple always gets the job done. My CRS is preventing me from a lot of simple!! LOL I may just go and cut up the whole package...next time I run one I probably won't remember what you said!! Thanks again.
Old 2011-01-04, 6:46pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterGlass View Post
THIS.^

I always do this and no problems. I started doing this when it was raining and my addresses were dripping all down the front the packages as I tried to get to PO in a downpour.
Old 2011-01-04, 7:41pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittypat View Post
Thanks so much.
Print it without the receipt. (Uncheck the receipt option)