Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2012-06-28, 2:41am

Liz - beautiful!
Thanks for the tut, Amber!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-06-28, 3:16pm

Here's my first tries: I used Lauscha opaque violet (SNO 520) and the dark teal/steel blue.

My colour stringers were probably too thin in comparison (on the violet anyway) and I think I want to slow down the heating... I basically blasted the stringers in - you could see stretch lines forming very quickly. I took a photo of both sides of the violet ones because it really got swallowed up in some places! It's interesting even if not quite as intended

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Kalorlo; 2012-06-28 at 3:24pm.
Old 2012-06-28, 5:30pm
dances with ideas...

Both looks are very cool, Heather!

Old 2012-06-28, 5:37pm

OOOooo Heather those are cool! The ones on the right are really awesome! Love that blue on them!

LynieG
Old 2012-06-28, 5:49pm

Very nice Heather! I love the violet!!

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2012-06-28, 6:22pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Great Job! I love that you can use violet!

Old 2012-07-03, 2:06am

Another go, with olive this time. The bead on the left I used ivory rather than dark ivory for the base, turned down my flame and went a lot slower. The shape stayed a bit more under control too
The edges are very straight, though. My other ones didn't really thin themselves out very much.

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-07-13, 3:35pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Heather - they look great!

Old 2012-07-17, 7:04pm
Melody of Glass

Thanks so much for sharing, Amber! Your beads and the ones people are showing so far are stunning. I love the effect.

I'm also in the epic fail crowd. Tried it with copper green. Solid black bead with a few traces of ivory here and there. I assume it was WAY too hot! After reading this thread, I've discovered another mistake I made. Can't wait to try again. If I can get it down, it'll be mom's birthday gift (if I can give them up...)

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-07-17, 9:25pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

These are so lovely. Thanks for sharing Amber.
I now want to start the torch once more for tonight and give it a whirl

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2012-07-17, 9:59pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliente View Post
Thanks so much for sharing, Amber! Your beads and the ones people are showing so far are stunning. I love the effect.

I'm also in the epic fail crowd. Tried it with copper green. Solid black bead with a few traces of ivory here and there. I assume it was WAY too hot! After reading this thread, I've discovered another mistake I made. Can't wait to try again. If I can get it down, it'll be mom's birthday gift (if I can give them up...)
I've only had success with the Lauscha glass so I;'d love to see results with other glass, too!

Old 2012-07-17, 10:00pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Billig View Post
These are so lovely. Thanks for sharing Amber.
I now want to start the torch once more for tonight and give it a whirl
Oooh, I'd love to see what you come up with Judith!

Old 2012-07-17, 10:57pm
I like to melt things

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliente View Post

I don't think that this failed because you got it too hot... I think it failed because copper green is both too reactive with ivory and not spready enough.

I sort of want to try these colours:
- CiM Evil Queen
- REI Flamingo (will cause blackness, but might be cool)
- CiM Slytherin
- EFF Carnelian Opalino
- EFF EDP (will cause blackness, but might be cool)
- VET Poppy
- VET Bloody Mary
- VET Seashell Swirl

Don't know if these will work, but experimenting is fun

-
-
Old 2012-07-18, 12:40pm

Hmmm. I bet this works with Lauscha Cocoa too! And I am wondering if their "Brandy Butter" color which is really an ivory color once you melt it would work for the base? Anybody have time to try these out? My torch is not set up yet since moving South!
Paula

eta I think I did something like this with Buckhorn a few years ago. Will see if I can find a photo!

Like US on Facebook !

Last edited by PaulaD; 2012-07-18 at 12:44pm.
Old 2012-07-21, 6:40am
Glass-aholic

Humm cocoa! I will have to try that sounds yummy!

Looking at some of these pics I dont think that the steel blue I have is the real deal... looks way to light.

Tuesday I hope I have studio time to play with this!!! I haven't had any torch time in a few weeks now! Im going through withdrawals big time!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-07-21, 6:51am

Steel Blue is Very Dark Teal.

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2012-07-21, 7:02am
Glass-aholic

Nope.. I bought some a long time ago from someone here, and never did much with it, but never had anything to compare it too. Mine is like a lighter denim blue/steel color. Awe that makes me sad!

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-07-23, 11:49am

Thank You Amber

You are the bomb =D

ALL MY GALAXY MURRINI, ROSE MURRINI AS WELL AS MY NEW TUTORIAL ON MY ETSY SHOP

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-07-25, 11:25am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalorlo View Post
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalorlo/7463230096/]
I especially loved this color combi, so I tried too. but I had no patience and ended up wrapping lauscha purple several times over what was ment to be a proper SIS stringer, but ended being a brittle fail...

I tried the lick-the-stringer method to make the foil stick, I tried the roll-over-foilhoven method (preheating the stringer in the flame was not so successful,and I ended up with a silvered sleeve.. haha) well.... any tricks more to try for me?
I know I am not that technically talented, so I guess its getting back into the doghouse and ppp...

thanks for the tutorial anyway Amber... these beads are gorgeous!
Attached Images

Old 2012-07-25, 12:10pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Fabienne, the beads are gorgeous anyway! But it can't be foil - that's too thick. You need the very thin silver LEAF, the kind that almost blows away from you.

Old 2012-07-26, 6:59am
Glass-aholic

I think I had some success with petroleum green and this technique...bead is still in the kiln, and was so dark I could not get a good idea, but im almost positive it worked. I noticed a big difference with the way it was spreading and reacting.

Old 2012-07-26, 7:22am
color bomb

Fabienne, I really like those
Old 2012-07-26, 10:20am

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Naos* View Post
You need the very thin silver LEAF, the kind that almost blows away from you.
amber, oh sorry, yes it was LEAF, I silvered several things around by using it . I had tried with foil, and thats indeed too thick... (I hate leaf!)

thanks amber and cinder
Old 2012-07-26, 10:37am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Fabienne, I think you just have to keep trying with the leaf on the stringer. Some people lick their stringer rod, then roll it over the leaf, then burnish it on in the flame a little before marvering.

Old 2012-07-29, 9:54pm
Glass-aholic

I got this to work really well with mosaic green not the prettiest color IMO, but perfect to see if I was doing it right! I did! And the mosaic green gets a line of red down the middle no pic, i only made one bead, and the photo did not do it justice, but SUCESS! Thanks again Amber !

Old 2012-07-30, 8:19am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Awesome - if you can get a photo - that would be great!

Old 2012-08-01, 12:42pm
Glass-aholic

Mosaic green. I know I used too much of everything except ivory.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343850152.988902.jpg
Views: 2194
Size:  34.2 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343850167.890427.jpg
Views: 2041
Size:  35.8 KB

Old 2012-08-01, 12:55pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

COOL! Got that awesome red out of the green! That does mean though that it got too hot.

Old 2012-08-02, 7:47am
Glass-aholic

The red just kindda happened. I didnt get it too hot. It was never hot enough to really loose shape. I wish I had time to make a few more. I have been sneaking in a bead or 2 hear and there between classes, and this bead was so dark going into the kiln, I didn't know if it would get back to the lighter green! I was not about to make a handful of beads that were all basically dk gray black!

Old 2012-08-02, 9:04am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

You can pull reds out of mosaic green with heat -that's the only reason I stated that.

Tags
acid goddess, amber rules!, denim tigers, free how-to, free tutorial, get etched, great karma for you, hothead tutorial, inspirational, lampwork beads tut, olive tigers, so generous, stand still