Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-05-09, 7:10pm
What was I thinking?

Red face Murrini Tutorial?

Can anyone direct me to a good tutorial on making murrini? I checked the Tutorial Index & didn't see one, but may not have known where to look. Thanks!!
Old 2008-05-09, 7:41pm

Here's a great thread for eyes that is posted in the Boro room.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=85116

I've seen another one for a signature murrine, I'll try to find it.
Mike
Old 2008-05-10, 6:27am
Formerly Travelin'gal

Here is one on making fish:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=63699

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
~
~
~
~
Old 2008-05-10, 6:27am
Formerly Travelin'gal

What are you wanting to make?

~
~
~
~
~
Old 2008-05-10, 7:41am
What was I thinking?

Smile murrini

I'm just hoping to make some of the beautiful round murrini with tiny lines radiating out from the center--are these called flowers? sunbursts? Thanks for helping!
Old 2008-05-10, 8:12am
Formerly Travelin'gal

Here is a simple one from Corina:

http://www.corinabeads.com/pages/minimurrini.php

A You Tube video by Lauri Copeland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHB9I...eature=related

~
~
~
~
~
Old 2008-05-10, 8:14am
Formerly SirWatson

Corina used to have this tutorial on her site, though I don't think it's there anymore.

The murrini you're talking about it pretty simple. If you know how to make striped cane, you're good to go!

1. Make a thick stringer in your "stripe" color.
2. Then, heat a rod in your base color and melt a large gather on the end. Marver the gather into a barrel shape.
3. Take your thick stringer and paint stripes around the barrel, parallel to the glass rod. The stripes should all meet at a point on the end of the barrel.
4. Melt in the stripes.
5. Gradually heat the entire barrel until it's pliable, but not soupy.
6. Punty up the barrel using another glass rod or a heated, undipped mandrel.
7. Heat the barrel again and slowly begin to pull the cane. You want the cane to be fairly thick since you'll be cutting slices from it later.
8. Once the cane cools, use your nippers to cut a few slices.

To make the sunburst look you asked about, take one of the slices and warm it in the flame using tweezers. Heat a spot on the bead where you want the murrini to reside. Place the murrini on the bead, and make sure it sticks! Carefully heat the murrini. It will begin to round out like a fat dot. Once the murrini has melted into the bead, take a tungsten poker (or any other poking tool) and poke the center of the murrini. Heat until the bead is smooth. Poking the center of the murrini will draw the stripes to the center.

Hope that helps! I'll try to post pictures if I get time today. Good luck!

<><
Old 2008-05-10, 8:16am
Formerly SirWatson

Oh! I see someone posted while I was typing. I'm glad Corina's tut is still around! Pictures are definitely better than words!

<><
Old 2008-05-10, 10:58am
What was I thinking?

Smile Exactly what I needed!

Dear Karla & Deanna,
What great links/advice/directions! Now I can only blame myself if these little guys don't turn out!
Thank you so much,
Gretchen
Old 2008-05-10, 11:01am
What was I thinking?

Smile Thanks to Mike too!

If I can handle the little starbursts, I may give the eyes a try. Thanks for the link!
Gretchen
Old 2008-05-25, 12:07pm
Newly Addicted Lampworkor

Smile Corina's Tutorial - With Pictures - Is Still Online :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWatson View Post
Corina used to have this tutorial on her site, though I don't think it's there anymore.

The murrini you're talking about it pretty simple. If you know how to make striped cane, you're good to go!

1. Make a thick stringer in your "stripe" color.
2. Then, heat a rod in your base color and melt a large gather on the end. Marver the gather into a barrel shape.
3. Take your thick stringer and paint stripes around the barrel, parallel to the glass rod. The stripes should all meet at a point on the end of the barrel.
4. Melt in the stripes.
5. Gradually heat the entire barrel until it's pliable, but not soupy.
6. Punty up the barrel using another glass rod or a heated, undipped mandrel.
7. Heat the barrel again and slowly begin to pull the cane. You want the cane to be fairly thick since you'll be cutting slices from it later.
8. Once the cane cools, use your nippers to cut a few slices.

To make the sunburst look you asked about, take one of the slices and warm it in the flame using tweezers. Heat a spot on the bead where you want the murrini to reside. Place the murrini on the bead, and make sure it sticks! Carefully heat the murrini. It will begin to round out like a fat dot. Once the murrini has melted into the bead, take a tungsten poker (or any other poking tool) and poke the center of the murrini. Heat until the bead is smooth. Poking the center of the murrini will draw the stripes to the center.

Hope that helps! I'll try to post pictures if I get time today. Good luck!

--> [OOOPS!! I see someone else posted the link first!!]

FYI, I found it. Corina's tutorial (with images) still there.

http://www.corinabeads.com/pages/minimurrini.php

I'm a NewOldDog: Too old to be on the starting side of learning something new; and too old to care about being too old to learn something new ... so, I'm going for it. Who needs fingerprints, anyway?

Last edited by samnjoe; 2008-05-25 at 12:09pm.