Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

View Poll Results: Where is YOUR studio located?
A room in the house 52 29.21%
Basement 27 15.17%
Garage 49 27.53%
Backyard/separate building outside 33 18.54%
Other 17 9.55%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-06-27, 9:25pm
Obsessive Torch Disorder

Default Where do you have your studio?

My DH is a little concerned about moving my studio from my shed in the backyard (heat/cold/spiders issues) to a room in our house. So, I though I would take a poll to see where all of you have YOUR studios...

Thanks very much for your time!
~Lynn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
Old 2008-06-27, 11:27pm

Default Do what you wanna

If I had a house In bellingham my studio might be in a room inside. But I only rent the gerage so I dont want to through your statistics. It is safer to have the studio seprated from the house historicly, but if it is set up well, you keep it cleen and you turn off your gases at the bottle when you dont work, your set!

Old 2008-06-28, 12:07am

I am moving my studio from the garage to the shed. Is your shed finished? Does it have drywall and insulation? I am going to have a heater/air conditioner am wondering if it would work well

Old 2008-06-28, 1:44am

I have a two storey house and my studio squeezes space in my laundrey which is downstairs at the rear of the house. People walk to and from all the time in front of me. But I don't have a little children, mine are all adults. I would love a room upstairs if only the sons and their stuff would move out. I rip up the carpet and put down cement board, it would be heaven cause sometimes its creepy downstairs by myself.

Kym
Old 2008-06-28, 9:50am
Obsessive Torch Disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bead crazy View Post
I am moving my studio from the garage to the shed. Is your shed finished? Does it have drywall and insulation? I am going to have a heater/air conditioner am wondering if it would work well
My shed isn't insulated, that's part/most of the problem, although I had a window A/C in there, but it was still just too hot! If my shed was insulated it might be a different story, but now that we've discussed me moving into the house, DH is excited to make the shed "HIS" with all his manly-man tools, power saw, etc! As long as we're both happy, I guess it's a done deal with me moving inside!

We have a room downstairs (like a daylight basement, but it's really just the bottom floor-big game room, full bath, big bedroom, a little bedroom (the new studio) and my DH's office and a fireplace) and it goes' outside via sliding glass door. Since it's downstairs it stays cool all year long, bathroom right next door, I'll put the propane right outside the sliding glass door and there is a cement floor. Plus, DH is a Risk & Safety Engineer so his LIFE is safety!!!

Facebook:

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
Old 2008-06-29, 7:34pm
Formerly SirWatson

My studio is in a little shed in the backyard. I love it! It used to be in the garage, but it wasn't exactly what I wanted. Building the shed allowed me to create the perfect space for me.

It's insulated with a heater for the winter and A/C for the summer. It's also complete with a poster of Johnny Depp.

<><
Old 2008-06-29, 7:44pm
Smooches!

And besides that Karla's shed is too too Cute!

cocktail napkins available at:

Now running my Cheetah on 2 Regalia's - pure heaven!

Old 2008-06-29, 7:54pm
Formerly SirWatson

Awww....thanks Miss Kate! *smooches!*

<><
Old 2008-06-29, 7:59pm
needs to light the torch.

I chose "a room in the house" but really it is a separate room in the back half of the garage...
But the garage is attached to the house so it is kinda a room in the house right?

Old 2008-06-29, 10:07pm

My studio is a shed at my Dad's house, an hour round trip from my apartment in town. But my friend just moved here and has offered to let me set up in her garage or back yard, and she's only about two blocks away. That will be awesome.

Old 2008-06-29, 11:59pm
><>

My studio is in an enclosed front porch.
We are going to build a separate space for it and reclaim
the front porch.
It is just too weird to have my studio be there when you enter
the house.
It will be so much better in another space that is dedicated and designed
to be a studio.
I am told this will happen soon.
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2008-06-30, 12:15am

Mines on the enclosed verandah of our house.

Old 2008-06-30, 2:56am

I live without any other people, so I have free choice of what goes where in my house. I converted my upstairs "game room" to my studio. Instead of ripping up the wall to wall carpet which continues throughout the upstairs, I had plastic & then plywood put down over the carpet. I had the seams duct taped, then I varnished the floor with a few coats. (when I first had this done, I was painting instead of torching) When I found out about lampworking, I had a vent added, & a hose size hole drilled in the back of my house, so that the propane hose (25') goes from my downstairs patio where the propane stays to my torch, inside. It's a nice sized room, I think about 15" X 12" or so. Works great & I can have all my comforts of a/c, etc. without the addt'l cost of having to do it somewhere else.
ginger
Old 2008-06-30, 3:12am

Hi Ginger Are you bleeding your hose when you are finished for the day? If so do you find that you go thorough the propane really fast?

Thanks

Old 2008-06-30, 4:38am

Yes, I do bleed my hose, but I'm not going through my propane quickly at all. I have a Bobcat & it's really easy on the gas. I usually torch for about 8hrs at a time, so it's really good.
ginger
Old 2008-06-30, 7:30am
Ex-lurker

I have a studio in my backyard. My brother built me a deck off of the house eons ago and like he says, I can just roll out of bed and go to work! Some days I don't even get in my car........

"Life is a journey - travel it well"
Old 2008-06-30, 7:38am

Default Bead Hut

I "finished" (range hood & insulation) my storage shed (10x12)in November and ran a natural gas line in December (torching with gas and oxycon). I do share half the space with the riding mower and other lawn and outdoor accoutrements but that still leaves plenty of space. I may consider hooking up a gas heater next winter (WI) but I just love it! I even bought a portable air conditioner to keep it cool in the summer. There are some bugs, but luckily they fear fire!
Old 2008-06-30, 8:08pm
Dangerous Woman

I was set up in our sunroom. I took the whole room over. When DH realized this was not a passing fancy and wanted to use the sunroom as a sunroom he had a builder friend of ours completely redo our garage. We use propane to heat our house and to cook with etc., so I had the gas company come and install a hard line into the garage where I wanted my torch. We had a vent and hood installed over my table, and had the garage insulated. In the winter I use a kerosene heater and it gets really toasty in there! But in the summer the windon AC unit just dosn't cool it off much. I also make jewelry so I try to use the hot days to make jewlery. If we get a cool and/or rainy day I'll hop on my torch.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-06-30, 9:14pm
Ezzy

My "studio" is a small bedroom in the house with an outside wall. Initially, I wanted to set up in the garage, my husband made other plans.

We tiled the floor, converted my old potting bench into a tiled worktable, fireproofed the wall and installed appropriate ventilation. Because liquid propane is affected by the cold and it snows here, we built a shed outside (on the other side of the wall), insulated it and plumbed it out so that the propane tanks are not in the house. I mostly use an oxygen concentrator which is in the house, but when I play with boro I used tanked oxygen and those tanks are also kept in the shed. We added shelving where I wanted it as well as a large cabinet. The only vestige of it's former use is a day bed that I refuse to remove from the room (I think every studio needs a nice comfy place to read, study, watch instructional DVD's or nap).

I can sometimes torch all day. I bleed my propane hose every time I turn the torch off and I don't leave my kiln on if I'm not home, even if I only intend to be gone for 20 minutes. If I torched in the garage, a shed, or even the back yard, I'd still bleed my hose every time I turned the torch off and I'd turn the kiln off when I left my home. I'm just kind of weird about stuff like that and the amount bled off is truly inconsequential.

I like having my studio in the house. I get to take advantage of all my creature comforts. The only disadvantage is that if we ever decide to sell the house we'd need to remove some of the modifications. I can't see anyone else wanting a hood, plumbing or hardyboard wall in a bedroom.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2008-07-01, 5:11am

I voted other. My "studio" is our back patio. In Florida that means hot, hot, hot. I tell myself as the sweat is flowing down my face, down my back and everywhere else that it's good for the pores. I never seem to really notice once I get going though. Fascination with the glass just seems to take over. I use a Bobcat with propane and an oxycon and think the thing must run on fumes!! I swear I've had this tank for months and I work 2 to three days a week for 4 to 6 hours. I keep the propane on the patio and the oxycon inside the sliding glass door where I can keep an eye on pressure etc. Dh made me a kind of filler for where the hose goes thru to save the AC (a big issue here). All in all it works well but means I can only work during daylight hours and must pretty much clean up with each use (perhaps not a bad thing).
Hot beader, what are those tubes you're storing your glass in? I'm still looking for something workable and cheap.
Mary
Old 2008-07-01, 10:52am
Melt That Glass

My studio is in a bedroom of my house that I converted. I put my torch area in the closet and my husband vented to the outside thru the ceiling and to a vent in the eaves.

Knight Bullet, 2 cons and tanked
Old 2008-07-01, 1:19pm
Just Bead It

Default My own Room

I have four bedrooms and no kids, so I have a (Craft Room) or (Crap Room) as my DH calls it. My Husband put a work bench together for me and cut PVC pipe for glass storage, I vent out the window and run a hose out the window to the propane tank outside. I also have an oxygen concentrator next to the bench. I love it. It really is full of all kinds of crafty stuff not just glass. Although I wish it was!!!!!

Tamara.
Old 2008-07-01, 3:58pm
Smooches!

Don't we all just love those husbands that support our "addiction" and do what we need so that we can torch in safety!

cocktail napkins available at:

Now running my Cheetah on 2 Regalia's - pure heaven!

Old 2008-07-01, 4:15pm
passionate about pets

I have mine set up in my basement. This room is unfinished. and will stay unfinished and when we sell, it can be used as a storage room. I love it down there cause of how cold it is.....so in the summer it is nice and cool.

*StOrM*

Nortel Minor- Natural gas & Oxycon

Old 2008-07-01, 8:11pm
Rare Florida Native

Mine is in a separate building No pets - they are in the house, a DH who loves me and lets me have my own space!

I have a new padded bar stool, some elbow rests and the trim & chimney is painted in two shades of purple - need to post new pictures.

Link to studio post from year ago.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ghlight=studio

Old 2008-07-02, 12:02pm

Mine is in a extra bedroom. Duck work thru where the window was. Propane outside fan in duck work. All safe and sound. I want to get a building out side to put it in and have a bead store there as well. I was looking for a commercial building to put a bead store in but rent here is so pricey to start a bead store. Kinda watching for a rent deal still. My dream.
Old 2008-07-02, 10:39pm
Ezzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Kate View Post
Don't we all just love those husbands that support our "addiction" and do what we need so that we can torch in safety!
YES!
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2008-07-03, 12:35pm
Does it come in purple?

I'm set up in a corner of our living room LOL. We're in an apartment (concrete-built high rise) with a huge balcony where I keep my propane tank. Just about everyone in our building has a propane bbq including us, so if we want bbq for supper everyone has to wait until I'm done beadmaking

I warned my b/f that things could get messy in the living room when we moved in together. You know how things get just before a show! I just bought a big bookcase to store my glass in so I'm slowly taking over the living room LOL Once I find those vinyl fence rails, I'll take a pic of my setup.

Carlisle Hellcat, OGSI generator, propane
Old 2008-07-05, 11:24am
Determined Noob!

Default FL Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdimatteo View Post
I voted other. My "studio" is our back patio. In Florida that means hot, hot, hot. I tell myself as the sweat is flowing down my face, down my back and everywhere else that it's good for the pores. I never seem to really notice once I get going though. Fascination with the glass just seems to take over. I use a Bobcat with propane and an oxycon and think the thing must run on fumes!! I swear I've had this tank for months and I work 2 to three days a week for 4 to 6 hours. I keep the propane on the patio and the oxycon inside the sliding glass door where I can keep an eye on pressure etc. Dh made me a kind of filler for where the hose goes thru to save the AC (a big issue here). All in all it works well but means I can only work during daylight hours and must pretty much clean up with each use (perhaps not a bad thing).
Hot beader, what are those tubes you're storing your glass in? I'm still looking for something workable and cheap.
Mary
I'm waiting on my supplies to get started, but I will probably be torching outside as well. I seems like most people are able to setup indoors, and I was glad to see your post. I was starting to wonder if I was crazy to do this with a dual torch in FL! I just can't afford to fork out the money for a whole ventilation system right now. Plus, I don't really have the space for it here.

Mini CC, DeVilbiss 515,
COE 104, tanked propane
Old 2008-07-05, 6:16pm
AKA Annan Designs

We are fortunate to have a seperate art studio that used to be a barn and apartment. We have an area for pottery (with a wheel and two kilns) and silversmithing (and any other "dirty" art projects), and the seperate apartment area for paper arts or any "clean" art. We have the glass studio in the "clean" side (with air conditioning, kitchen and bathroom). I can't believe how lucky we are to have run across this property before somebody else snatched it up.

Peg McLarnan