No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-06-25, 9:44am
Melting for Glass!

Default Encasing red with clear - help!

I apologize if there already is a thread about this, but I could not find it.

Somewhere I read a tip from Patricia Frantz on how to successfully encase red opaques.

Anyone out there that can advise? It was something about putting a base bead of ?? On the mandrel before adding the red, then clear encase.

Any help is appreciated!

Cecilia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-06-25, 10:29am
I fart diamonds

Base of clear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2015-06-25, 10:34am
Slogan Challenged...

Yes, good memory! You should use a base bead/core of clear. It can be thin but not too thin. Good also for other tricky-to-encase colors. I recently did a whole set of encased yellow, oranges and reds this way.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2015-06-25, 9:00pm
Glass-aholic

I love encasing dark red and red purple with cirrus, or any of the cim moonstones. Works like a charm every time, and with amazing effects and results!!! Some of my alltime fav beads, and I don't even really like red!

If you don't want to make a core, or by design it's not an option: There is usually a batch of not cloudy at all cirrus someone wants to get off their hands. I'm sure can work wonders for you if you need it more crystal clear-ish looking too.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2015-06-27, 9:45am
Melting for Glass!

Thank you so much! I love red encased an my last try they all cracked, but I remember I was able to do it at one point!
I will also try the cirrus, never tried it!

Cecilia

Old 2015-06-27, 8:52pm
Slogan Challenged...

Curious if CIM Marshmallow would work? I have a bit of that.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2015-06-28, 5:48am

So if you encase with Cirrus, do you use Cirrus for the core?

BTW, I never knew this. I always thought you just plain don't encase red, period. Wow! So much potential!

Old 2015-06-29, 12:20am

Is it totally ok to encase transparent red? I mean, do you need the core of clear first?

Old 2015-06-29, 3:39am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
I love encasing dark red and red purple with cirrus, or any of the cim moonstones. Works like a charm every time, and with amazing effects and results!!! Some of my alltime fav beads, and I don't even really like red!

If you don't want to make a core, or by design it's not an option: There is usually a batch of not cloudy at all cirrus someone wants to get off their hands. I'm sure can work wonders for you if you need it more crystal clear-ish looking too.
Could you post a pic of these reactions? I'm curious.....
Old 2015-07-01, 2:56pm
Artistically Absorbed

If you have really troublesome colors that don't want to be encased and they are very saturated like a lot of the reds are ... and even clear coring didn't work ...you can mix clear with the color and apply it over a clear core... Candy Apple Red works well used this way... and it will work for some others too.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2015-07-01, 11:37pm
Naysayer

I encase reds a lot, but I just made a bead with a CIM glass and it's slowly cracking from the inside out. I think it's Radio Flyer....I will check to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohn View Post
Curious if CIM Marshmallow would work? I have a bit of that.
I wouldn't, it's an opal glass (opalino).
Old 2015-07-02, 6:23am
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittyditty View Post
Could you post a pic of these reactions? I'm curious.....
They don't photograph well.. At all. http://www.fireglassbeads.com/2012/05/pictures.html?m=1

These were taken in 2012. I still have these beads, and they broke off my wrist once when I snagged them on something on a parking lot and were not broken then, and are still holding strong now. I can't part with them I love them so much!

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2015-07-03, 2:02pm
Artistically Absorbed

Jaci is that Rubino encased in Cirrus or Clio? Rubino has been the biggest bear over the years for me to encase!

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2015-07-04, 8:37am
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoTantuli View Post
Jaci is that Rubino encased in Cirrus or Clio? Rubino has been the biggest bear over the years for me to encase!
It's 438 I think red purple. But I would think it would work similarly. It's encased with cirrus. I did this in the pre Clio era... Lol

Old 2015-07-04, 3:19pm

KJohn, try it, it should. There may be some issue around the holes - opaques may not want to spread as much as on top of stiff transparents, marshmallow is not soupy (not so stiff but stiff enough comparing to effetre white. And being white (on opal side of density after kiln) it keeps the upper colour without distortions. And it is not so reactive.
Old 2015-07-04, 3:58pm
Slogan Challenged...

Thanks Katia. I don't think it will be the same effect now that I've seen Jackie's pic, but it might be interesting

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2015-07-04, 11:43pm

Does anyone know the answer to my transparent red question?

Old 2015-07-05, 12:13am
Slogan Challenged...

I would think transparent red can be encased just fine. Depends on the red, I suppose, but I've never heard about problems with that versus the opaques.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Last edited by KJohn; 2015-07-05 at 12:51pm.
Old 2015-07-05, 7:16am

Oh ok thank you!

Old 2015-07-08, 1:29am

Patti, I encase transparent red all the time without any probem.

Old 2015-07-25, 1:46am

Ok, can anyone explain to me the chemistry of why red glass is so hard to encase and keep its colors? I get brown mud color most times...

Sometimes, if I understand what the glass is doing I can make it work...

I have tried the core of clear, no better results,,, only red I can make work is Devardi, and it's more cranberry than red... Help!

Last edited by Khaleesi Dane; 2015-07-25 at 1:47am. Reason: Spelling
Old 2015-07-30, 1:46am

Is it ok to ask another red encasing question here? I don't want to start a whole new red thread. =)
What if I want to encase transparent red, but I want to put white under the red first? So, white, transparent red, then clear. Is this ok?
Thanks =)

Old 2015-07-30, 6:42am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegem View Post
Is it ok to ask another red encasing question here? I don't want to start a whole new red thread. =)
What if I want to encase transparent red, but I want to put white under the red first? So, white, transparent red, then clear. Is this ok?
Thanks =)
In theory, that should be fine. The purpose of encasing the clear is to make the amount of the incompatible glass less than the glass encasing it. To be safe, though, I would start with a clear base, encase that with a layer of white and then the layer of red before the final layer of clear.

Old 2015-07-30, 7:04am
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegem View Post
Thanks =)
You should be fine, Patty. I have encased pretty much every 104 Coe transparent red without any issue.

|
|
|
|
Old 2015-07-31, 12:33am

Ok thank you!

Old 2017-04-29, 12:34pm
Lifelong Student

Just made this bead. Waiting to see how it holds up before I make it into jewelry. It has a clear base, then effetre light red, encased in CIM marshmallow.
Attached Images