Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-05-26, 9:54am

Default Tent weights?

I am going to do my first outdoor show next month. I have a basic EZ up.

I was planning to make the concrete filled PVC pipes to rope and velcro to each tent leg.

My question is for those of you who do it this way:
What is the recommended amount of weight to use per corner and what diameter and length of pipe do you use?

Thanks!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-05-26, 10:58am

We used the largest PVC pipe diameter you could get at Home Depot - I want to say 6 to 8". I have 5 - one for each corner and one for the middle. Believe me - the one in the middle saved my butt last summer at a show. We think a wind burst came thru the tent area during a summer t-storm and the show lost 24 tents. Mine was wet but still standing. I just hook them up using a long, very sturdy bungy cord. I leave the ones up on the legs and just remove the one in the middle when it's time to open.
Old 2010-05-26, 2:10pm

That's a great point about the center one! I'll have to make 5....

Old 2010-05-26, 2:18pm
Micromosaic and Lampwork

I was recently researching this and want to make these:
http://alwaystheforest.blogspot.com/...y-weights.html

She found them here:http://ronfrazier.blogspot.com/2006/...r-weights.html

I like the handles on the sides.

Thanks for the suggestion about the center weight.

My canopy took flight 6 feet before I even got the weights on this past weekend. My 20 lb weights were ok, but I would prefer heavier.

I also have a canopy with vents in to top so it is less likely to become a kite, and it is supposed to vent out the heat in the summer.
http://www.quikshade.com/Product_Bra...?CategoryId=91

Old 2010-05-26, 4:29pm

I use waterjugs....(but that's 'cause I'm too lazy to make cement...plus that way I have extra water...and I don't have to store the cement )

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2010-05-26, 4:58pm
Wyoming Silvers

We put a long eye screw in the middle of the cement, and then you have something to lash your ropes to. We use ratcheting straps atach to the tent, and bungie around each leg. Each weight is 4' high and 8" around. heavy,,, but work well. We actually use 2 on each leg..Wind is horendous at some of the street fairs. I do like the idea of side handles. The weights are so heavy, we have to cart them to the booth.

Lovin my Lynx with M20
Old 2010-05-26, 7:05pm
liquidphoenix

i use 4 litre water jugs as well

Old 2010-05-28, 2:11pm

There's an association and forum for craft show vendors--National Association of Independent Artists (www.naia.org). I read on that forum about tractor weights. I am still trying to track some down, but they sound perfect--no cement mixing or PVC cutting. I can make beads & jewelry, but that's about the extent of my handiness. They cost about $1 per pound, but I'll bet they last forever. I'm reminded to send a follow-up email to the guy at the John Deere dealer.

I also wondered about using those giant laundry detergent containers and filling them with water, concrete, or kitty litter. Maybe kitty litter already comes in pourable containers ... ? With kitty litter, if there was an ice storm, you'd be all set!

From my reading, it looks like about 30# per leg is a minimum. Tracey's idea about anchoring the center of the tent when she's not there is a really good one.

I did a lot of looking around about anchoring my canopy because I intended to do a show on a city street, no handy lawn to peg into. I ultimately canceled out of the show when the forecast included 40 mph winds, so I'm still debating what to do.

Nolly
Old 2010-05-28, 3:28pm
make beads not war

I used this tutorial and they came about to about 35-40 lbs each. I did add handles and they make carrying so much easier.

http://etsymetal.blogspot.com/2009/0...-tutorial.html
Old 2010-05-28, 6:08pm
Sheila Davis Designs

I like the water jugs too.I use gallon milk jugs, one per leg attached with bungi cords.You can empty them when you're done and too tired to lift the heavy pipes.

Old 2010-05-29, 9:58am

You can get canvas bags that you fill with sand and they have velcro to attach to the legs of E Z up. They can be purchased for about $16 at pro bass shop
Old 2010-05-30, 12:20pm

I used to use water jugs, 2 per corner, but discovered that's not nearly enough, & adding more jugs gets too bulky. My DH made PVC weights with cut rebar, & put a padded chain on the end to make them easy to carry. They are less than 2' long, 30+ lbs, but still not enough for severe wind. A few years ago I bought the bags you fill with sand. They're just as heavy. I velcro them to the legs plus use a dog leash or whatever to hook them to the frame. I dislike having 8 weights to lug around, but I work by myself & can manage it this way. In bad weather I use all the weights & they have saved my tent when others were losing theirs. Don't go too light.

Old 2010-05-30, 12:49pm

Most shows suggest using 60 to 70lbs per leg and hanging them about 14 inches off the ground. I too like the middle weight idea I will certainly use that. I also lower my tent a few notches if I can when I close it up.
Old 2010-05-30, 1:33pm
Ex-lurker

What a great idea for that center weight - I must make a note to myself to make another one - thanks!

I don't use enough weights, but did make mine with concrete and a steel bolt in the middle. When I do a show and don't take my trailer, I buy the water jugs and use those - then I give the water away locally so I don't have to lug the weight home.

"Life is a journey - travel it well"
Old 2010-05-30, 1:44pm
Senior Moment

why would you hang them 14 inches off the ground? I usually just set mine on the groung and tighten the rope.

Old 2010-05-30, 3:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysa View Post
why would you hang them 14 inches off the ground? I usually just set mine on the groung and tighten the rope.
My question too

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2010-07-22, 7:40pm

This is what the Three rivers show in Pittsburg suggested. They get alot of wind.
Old 2010-07-22, 7:51pm
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysa View Post
Because as they swing it changes the center of gravity and makes it harder for them to go air born, as opposed to being lower and just being dragged sideways.

I hang mine from bungees since it'll change their center, but also elongate slightly as needed.

|
|
Old 2010-07-22, 8:41pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Our concrete-filled pvc pipes weigh about 40 lbs. each. They work great!

Jack

Old 2010-07-23, 3:23am

I made the pvc weights and they work great. My only complaint about them was that they were not very attractive. It drove me crazy looking at them so I made cloth covers for each one to match my table coverings. Looks much better now.
Terri

Old 2010-07-23, 9:13am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiterri View Post
I made the pvc weights and they work great. My only complaint about them was that they were not very attractive. It drove me crazy looking at them so I made cloth covers for each one to match my table coverings. Looks much better now.
Terri
Great idea!

Old 2010-07-23, 3:29pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellybeads View Post
Most shows suggest using 60 to 70lbs per leg and hanging them about 14 inches off the ground. I too like the middle weight idea I will certainly use that. I also lower my tent a few notches if I can when I close it up.
If it gets that windy,I'm outa there!