TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Old 2005-07-03, 10:01pm
tweetysweetie

Default Who works with a Lynx?

Just acquired a Lynx and know very little about it. The blue knob on top? What does it do, should it always be turned on along with the others? How often should the torch be serviced? What do you like or dislike about yours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-07-03, 11:11pm
Dildo Kween!

The blue knob is for the pinpoint fine flame

I ran the little cleaning wires in the orifices once a month.

I loved my Lynx, and I sold it on eBay a few years ago... but my Mirage has a Lynx built into the center ... LOVE IT!!

HAVE FUN!!

My Tutorials have been FREE since 2001

Old 2005-07-04, 5:55am
A True Woofer

I read on the internet -- so it must be true, right? -- that you should crack open the blue knob even just a little bit while you're running the torch.

Old 2005-07-04, 10:31am
tweetysweetie

Thanks everyone for your responses. Couple quick questions again. Do all these torches come with a 1ft section of hoses (cloth fiber covered) attached to the torch? and then you attach more hoses to those. I was surprised to "not see" just spigot ends to attach hoses to and wasn't sure if this is something the previous owner had put on or is standard on a Lynx. As far as the little cleaning tools...i will need replacements as nothing came in addition to the torch. Any ideas on what I can use in their place? I use an old corsage pin on the Nortel (their tool broke in the first year) but looks way too big for the Lynx openings.

By now your probably thinking, why buy a torch that you virtually know nothing about, lol. I was looking for a flame that is very small and tiny to create my flower petals for my paperweights. I'd about given up and toying with idea of just using my Smith Little Torch, heehaw....but have heard the Lynx is capable of a small & continual flame for just such a thing. I just love torches and eventually probably own one of all of them!
I have Carlise mini cc, pinpoint..Nortel minors, major, a Pirahana, national 6b..Smith little torch.....I'm working my way to a barracuda and a tiger shark next....keeping eyes open for a Starfire (almost extinct!) Then theres the big Carlises, Knights and on and on......whew. I think I'm the "goldilocks" of the torch set!!! one day I will find my dream, good for everything, flame thrower, lol.

Old 2005-07-04, 11:06am
<--- Time traveler

TheLynx torches do come with a short bit of hose attached. I like that because it's more flexible than the standard hose, so it's easier to get them wrapped under the edge of the table.

I bet you can get in touch with GTT for a replacement torch cleaning kit. I need to do that as well; I've bent my cleaning wires so much that they're hardly useable.

Have fun with your new torch!

Courtney

Last edited by cghipp; 2005-07-04 at 11:11am.
Old 2005-07-04, 8:09pm

I love my Lynx! I can get more heat with less oxygen than I could with my Minor, it's not logical to me, I just know it works. I even switched back to the Minor to be sure I wasn't going nuts. I love how you can minutely adjust the oxygen. I also love the control of being able to make a narrow flame.

One tip I would give you is to clean it with the oxy running full blast. I was having so much trouble (bought my torch used) with the gas fluctuating. I cleaned and cleaned and someone suggested cleaning it with the oxygen ON. When I did, a metal shaving FLEW out of one of the ports! No trouble since then.