Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-07-30, 2:32pm

Default torch question??

Here is a novice question for you all...Is there a difference between the "Hot Head 'torch" and the one you get from the hardware store? If so want? I tried the the torch that resembled the Hot Head with a propane torch, but it turned my glass beads black no matter what I did. Can anyone help me out with this problem. Do I need to buy the Hot head torch from a glass supplier? If so, does it work with propane tank or do you have to use the mapp tank? I would appreciate any help.
Thanx
Old 2008-07-30, 5:25pm
I practice alchemy!

There is a difference between the hot head and the hardware store torch. I think the hot head is designed especially for glass and thus get hotter and does a better job than the hardware torch. The hot head is also cleaner burning, I think. I am no great expert. I have used MAPP on my hothead, but I hated dealing with all the little bottles that you can't do a thing with besides throw away. I switched to 1 pound cannisters of propane and then to a propane BBQ tank and hose setup. I really like my bulk propane.

Celeste
Old 2008-07-30, 5:36pm
da General

This is the latest advice against using HotHead with bulk tank.

http://www.isgb.org/forum/showthread...922#post104922
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=99464

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Old 2008-07-30, 5:43pm

Thank you Celeste,
I am a beginner, and I wore out my fireworks torch, then this situation with the hardware torch was bad. So, tomorrow is my birthday and HB said he wanted to get me the correct torch so I can keep practicing. I am going to order one. The big tank will come later. I just found a thread on torches and am reading now. Thanks again for answering that question.
Renee'