Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2012-03-18, 12:35pm
Experimentalist

Default Results of Phase 1 of the Patina Experiments

Not sure if this would be considered a tutorial, but I blogged about the results of our patina experiments and since recipes and photos are included, it kind of seems like it could be considered a tutorial of sorts.

http://www.laurabrackenblog.blogspot...eriements.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-03-18, 1:13pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Very interesting! I like the LOS and Vinegar best I think.

Old 2012-03-18, 4:45pm
Experimentalist

Thanks.

I look forward to more experimentation with the first three (the "kitchen" solutions) with the application of heat... and maybe a coating other than wax. Shrug.

Old 2012-10-13, 12:28pm

Thank you for posting your results, good info.
Old 2012-10-13, 8:30pm
Mr Brutus RIP

wow, love the los and ammonia. I was just reading about using ammonia on a metalsmithing site. Very cool, thanks for sharing Laura!!
Sue

Old 2012-10-14, 9:09pm
Practicing perfect

What a great experiment, sounds like it was fun play. I like the LOS and coffee and the LOS and vinegar the best.

Old 2012-10-15, 5:17pm
grama punky - class junky

another vote for the vinegar!

Old 2012-10-15, 5:49pm

Very cool! thanks for sharing!
Domino
Old 2013-01-03, 9:54pm
Experimentalist

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone!

Old 2013-01-04, 12:21am
Feminist Killjoy

In my experience, the surface prep of the metal makes a big difference. Copper that I've repeatedly annealed and hammered or domed into shape seems to take on better coloration. Verdigris, for example. I always get better colors when I've abused the metal first.
Old 2013-01-04, 8:47am
Experimentalist

Good to know, Annie! Thanks for the info.

Old 2013-01-04, 12:01pm
Addicted to Melting Glass

Laura, just curious - is the metal truly bronze, or is it brass?

Old 2013-01-04, 12:05pm
Experimentalist

Patty, as I'm looking at it now, it sure looks like brass, so I'm going to go with "I miss labeled the photo".

Although I do work with bronze (and prefer it 100 times over brass), I don't recall ever having any bronze disks in those sizes.

Thanks for spotting that... will try to find the original photo and update that info.