Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-01-20, 7:18am

Default Anyone using a bethlehem betta torch - right torch or not

I am a newbie and presently working on a hh. I found someone who is selling a bethlehem betta torch and wanted to know if anyone else is using this torch and how it works - what kinds of glass can you do with it, is it worth it or save up my money to get a different torch. I would like to be able to do soft glass, boro. I understand you need the torch to be hotter in order to do all kinds of glass but what would be best as a step up from the hh. Thank you for all your help.
Old 2010-01-20, 8:48am

You'll need to indicate
-size of boro that you wish to work
-what your O2 source will be (tanks or concentrator, and if concentrator how many/what O2/min)

But it's always a personal choice and balancing act.
Old 2010-01-20, 9:11am

The Betta is a good little torch - I got one of the original issue models. It'll work on NG and an oxycon, but obviously propane and tanked O2 is better for boro and bigger soft glass. It's got a relatively narrow flame base but it's a very hot torch for the size and is good for small to medium-sized beads. I did a couple of large complex murrinis on mine but don't recommend it unless you've got a lot of time and very strong arms. I use a Phantom now for those things.

Robert
Old 2010-01-20, 2:31pm
one day at a time

How much are you going to be able to spend??

I prefer the GTT line, esp. if you want to get into boro later on as well. All are a dream for soft glass.
Here's my suggestions:

Cricket + 5lpm oxycon = hot

Or Bobcat + 5lpm oxycon (good with one but much better with 2), or 10lpm, or a 15lpm = hotter

Or Lynx + 2 5lpm oxycons, or 10lpm, or a 15lpm = hotter yet!
Old 2010-01-20, 4:24pm

I went from a Betta to a Cricket for boro. MUCH better, imho.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-20, 4:58pm

The Cricket is a very good option as well. I have both and you'll find that the flame profiles and radiant heat are different. It would be good if you could compare them side by side. Southern Flames did this one weekend last year with a 4 or 5 different torches. We also had tanked vs oxycons to compare that as well on the different torches. It was a good learning exercise for everyone.

Robert
Old 2010-01-20, 6:27pm

I always encourage people to try as many different torches as possible, and see for themselves which torch they like. To buy any torch (be it a $200 torch, or a $2000 torch), just because someone recommended it, is foolish. Plus, one would not be able to fully appreciate the 'awesomeness' of an "Uber-Torch" (tm pending) without having already worked on other "lesser" torches.

That being said, for the original poster, *any* torch is a significant step up from a HotHead. If she can get a great deal of a Betta, then go for it! To suggest that she hold out until she can afford something 'bigger/better' (especially since she didn't state what her budget is) is doing her a disservice, and delays (or denies) her the experience of stepping up to a better torch! This need not be the last torch she ever buys.

Malcolm
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2010-01-21, 12:05am
Corgi Cult Member

I run a Betta on household NG. Currently I use a M-15 for oxy, but prior to that, a 5 lpm concentrator. I predominately use this torch for soft glass, but have done boro on it and it will easily make boro beads and marbles up to 1 1/8"- 1 1/4", anything over that size is doable, but slow. I've not found a size limitation doing soft glass and have made wine stoppers and bases that have over three rods of glass in a single piece.

The Betta isn't as sleek looking as the GTT torches, (my other torch is a Lynx, and oh so pretty), but it's a really nice torch. I never have a problem with carbon buildup. For soft glass I have to run it fairly low or I burn the snot out of the glass.

Is it the right torch for you? Well, that's really a personal choice based on many factors. I can tell you I've never regretted purchasing mine because it suits my needs for now.

Old 2010-01-21, 9:18am

Thank you all so much for your input and help. I have found a betta local to me for $295.00 with the hoses. I thought maybe it would be nice enough for me as an upgrade and my budget with just getting started and still would be able to try some boro until I get better (ppp) and not have too much invested in order to purchase more supplies. I think it is important to try other torches to see exactly what works for me (only not sure where I would go to try different torches to see). There is so much to learn and everyone here is so very helpful - can't imagine or tell you how good LE makes me feel. Thank you all again for your help.
Old 2010-01-21, 12:45pm

I LOVE my betta and if you can get it for that price, I'd definitely consider it. I went from the hothead to the betta and have never regretted it. It is wonderful as far as being really economic on the propane. I used a 5lpm concentrator for a few years before getting an ex-15 last year.
Mary T.

Old 2010-01-22, 6:08am

Mary, thank you very much. I was hoping maybe that was a good price. If I get it, I might be asking you a few more questions if you don't mind. Thank you again, Linda
Old 2010-01-22, 1:54pm

You are very welcome, and if you have questions feel free to ask. If you want I can PM you my phone #.
Mary T.

Old 2010-01-26, 5:59am

Hello everyone, I purchased the betta and a M-10 oxy. I can't wait to use it. The hothead was nice but have been using the little blue bottles and it would freeze up in the middle of a bead so I am hoping this will be a great upgrade for me. Thank you all again for your help.
Old 2010-01-27, 8:29am
HourGlass Studio

I have a betta on NG & an oxy con and do boro beads....not too much in the way of larger boro but small and medium is no problem for me. I know a few people who do larger work but they are running on tanked oxy.