Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-01-07, 6:06am

Thanks .. I think I'm not getting it hot enough.... I'll keep trying!

ShelleyLee
Old 2008-01-07, 2:21pm
Serenity Now!

Beautiful work everybody! Here are a few pieces from my back-log of stuff waiting for the photo-fairy...

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-01-07, 2:45pm

What a gorgeous display of boro! I love it all!!!

Here are a couple of sets from me...

Here's a couple of views of the same focal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-01-07, 3:54pm

Okay I want to play too. Here's a pendant.
Old 2008-01-07, 4:22pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentaymom View Post
Thanks Brenda!

G.L. - I think the blue ones are AP rolled in clear frit and encased in clear. But I tend to just grab stuff and never take notes so that may not be right. That is actually one of the photos that looks too "bright" to me. The blue doesn't stand out as much in the actual beads and has more of a teal/green tone to it. I'm still palying with camera settings - so hopefully I'll come across the magic setting sometime! Thanks for the tip on the laundry box too!
Sounds like you work just like me.I never have any idea what I'm useing.
It sure works well for You.
G.
Old 2008-01-07, 6:26pm

I have been lurking for a while and love the show and tell threads. I guess it is time for me to jump in!
Attached Images

Old 2008-01-07, 8:44pm

Really great work everyone, nice start for 2008!
I'm really loving the Dragons, and Cosmo awesome job on
the marbles and cold working. I'd love to try some lapidary
work one of these days.

Playing with some inside work again

A new style of ring

some fumed flowers

Ash
Old 2008-01-07, 9:40pm
San Diego Toni

Well you all never cease to amaze me!!! Seriously.

I never seem to have enough time to take pics and size them and stuff, so don't show too much. Since I'm being forced to watch the new American Gladiators tonight, I thought I'd take advantage of some computer time to share!

Here's part of my display -

and various marble close ups

If i can get my $*@# together I'll be back with some sweet colors from the purple cream soda experiments I did!

Old 2008-01-08, 12:27pm
Normal is Boring!!

Sonya- your beads are the bomb!! You inspired me to pull out my Triple passion last night- All I got was fugglies...

When you encase the TP is goes boring! Are your beads encased in clear or just plain TP. I'll get a photo- I get the hot heat thing as it's working with DAP but I noticed encasing DAP does the same thing!

Dang I'm not givin' up!! Okay maybe until I buy more- I'm down to one half stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyaHusko View Post
ShelleyLee, I just work it really hot and take it all the way to clear at the end. Then let it cool to where it's not glowing and slowly strike in the back of the flame until it developes the color I want. (It doesn't always work, sometimes I get peachy too)

~
~

Antique Brass Findings

Old 2008-01-08, 12:28pm

OMG you guys and gals, everything here is fabulous! Toni, I can't believe the size of those marbles. Just beautiful.

I have some meazly little beads to show today, lol. I'm happy these days just to get color. So these are my Oh My Gosh beads. OMG I got color!
Attached Images

Old 2008-01-08, 3:16pm
Normal is Boring!!

Rose you got beautiful color-- what gives? Are you on tanked OX? was sthe moon in perfect line with the sun..... Dang I want pretty color like that!

Georgous-

~
~

Antique Brass Findings

Old 2008-01-08, 3:45pm

Thanks Trudi. No tanked oxygen here, just the same 2 oxycons. It seems my colors got better when I dumped the welders shades. Could that be? Time will tell I guess

Last edited by Rose; 2008-01-08 at 3:52pm.
Old 2008-01-08, 6:37pm
The Venerable Bead

wow the boro peeps are rocking the house down with all this color? are you sure I'm not in a soft glass room?
wow
the keys have taken off on my etsy. here are a few and some steampunk jewelry too
Attached Images

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2008-01-08, 6:43pm
Gay rights R human rights

Here are some beads from homemade cane. PCS, Elvis Apricot and AP.

Leslike

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2008-01-08, 6:58pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterdark View Post
Sonya- your beads are the bomb!! You inspired me to pull out my Triple passion last night- All I got was fugglies...

When you encase the TP is goes boring! Are your beads encased in clear or just plain TP. I'll get a photo- I get the hot heat thing as it's working with DAP but I noticed encasing DAP does the same thing!

Dang I'm not givin' up!! Okay maybe until I buy more- I'm down to one half stick!
I encase them in a pretty thick layer of clear. The layer of triple is very thin. One wrap with maybe a little over-lap at the end. Then I burn off the haze and encase real quick. Then heat to shape and take all the way to clear...cool...strike in the very back of the flame. THe core of the bead is also clear, if that helps. The triple passion shouldn't be right on the rod. Also, I use tanked oxy and crank up the oxygen.

Good luck!!!!

edited to add...Thanks for the compliment!

Last edited by SonyaHusko; 2008-01-08 at 6:59pm. Reason: to add to post
Old 2008-01-08, 7:00pm

Oh my goodness, tiggy! Those are gorgeous!!!

Old 2008-01-08, 9:30pm

You can strike after it's encased? I though I needed to strike first, then encase?

I'm confused!
Old 2008-01-08, 11:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelleyLee View Post
You can strike after it's encased? I though I needed to strike first, then encase?

I'm confused!
Yes, you can definitely strike after encasing! I never strike anything before encasing it.

Old 2008-01-08, 11:41pm

I had to bid on that set Sonya...Beeeutiful!!!
Irene

Old 2008-01-09, 2:16am

I have to say that's really nice fume work Ash. I especially like the silver fumed one at the bottom. Nice!
Old 2008-01-09, 2:44am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

ya'lls work is just beautiful!

Old 2008-01-09, 9:51am

hi and HNY everyone,
great work to kick off '08!

Rog, those dragons always put me in a better mood
Pip, Beautiful colour, yum!
Val, that dancing silver chicken is outrageous!

We're off to Thailand and Cambodia tomorrow morning .... oops, in a couple of hours ... I usually make a little something to travel with. one of my travellers will be my pocket time machine and one of these new beartooth necklaces.
they're based on a fossil cave bear tooth, which I have. the fur is wallaby and kangaroo which comes from an old fur coat I rescued from a junk shop and to complete the neolithic look I used rough leather thonging. I also used tiny cast Indian brass bells on one of them.

I'll be climbing around the temples of Angkor Wat soon wearing one of those
cu in Feb
Attached Images

Running a
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.
Old 2008-01-09, 10:06am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggybubba View Post

Here are some beads from homemade cane. PCS, Elvis Apricot and AP.

Leslike
Very nice. What is PCS again? I always remember it form my Army days as meaning "Permanent Change of Station." LOL

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2008-01-09, 11:00am
Normal is Boring!!

Gotcha- Do you kiln strick too? Thanks for the directions- when is the next full moon? I'm gonna get this puppy to work if it kills me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyaHusko View Post
I encase them in a pretty thick layer of clear. The layer of triple is very thin. One wrap with maybe a little over-lap at the end. Then I burn off the haze and encase real quick. Then heat to shape and take all the way to clear...cool...strike in the very back of the flame. THe core of the bead is also clear, if that helps. The triple passion shouldn't be right on the rod. Also, I use tanked oxy and crank up the oxygen.

Good luck!!!!

edited to add...Thanks for the compliment!

~
~

Antique Brass Findings

Old 2008-01-09, 11:08am

January 22nd, I believe

Quote:
when is the next full moon?

Old 2008-01-09, 12:18pm
Gay rights R human rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort View Post
Very nice. What is PCS again? I always remember it form my Army days as meaning "Permanent Change of Station." LOL
Its Purple Cream Soda....a Glasstique colour never to be seen again apparently...sob!

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2008-01-10, 6:30am

Whoa!! beyootiful colors everyone ...

Sals
Old 2008-01-10, 6:57am

Quote:
Gotcha- Do you kiln strick too? Thanks for the directions- when is the next full moon? I'm gonna get this puppy to work if it kills me!
I rarely kiln strike. Like maybe twice since I've been lampworking, lol.

Old 2008-01-10, 7:15am
ManBearPig

Quote:
I pretty much always kiln strike. More consistent than flame striking.

Old 2008-01-10, 11:55am
Pyromaniac

Chad, let me pick your brain for a minute --
What do you set your kiln at? Is it 1050 for the length of time you are working and then down to 950? Do you ever go higher for certain colors? What about reds --- I noticed in another thread you said put them in the kiln unstruck, so would they strike at 1050?

Thank you!

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage