No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-06-06, 2:25pm

Default Using frits

Hi
I would like to purchase some frits but I'm not sure what type to buy. I looked at the frit available from Glass Diversions and although it is a 96 Coe they say it can be used with all 104 Coe glass sparingly. Does anyone have any experience using this glass? Also, when I tried to order some glass from their website I was told to close down the website as they did not have a security certificate and the site could be fraudulent. I also checked out another site that has 104 Coe capatable frit but I didn't think their mixes were as nice as the ones from Glass Diversions. What's involved in making your own frit. I've made some in the past but the frit size is so inconsistent. Is there a way to make frit so that it comes out say a size 0 or 2 and have it all the same size? Isn't this a good way to use leftover glass? Any input is greatly appreciated!
Lesbatts
Old 2007-06-06, 4:29pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I love the frit from Glass diversions.
Since I like to use lots of frit, and since I really
don't feel comfortable mixing COEs, I just bought
a bunch of Uroboros rods and some gaffer glass
to use as a base under the 96 frits. That way, I
don't even have to think about it.

If you wanted to do that - all you'd need would be
clear, white, black and almond for a start.
That would cover 99% of the frit you want to use.
You could even sub out black for one of the blues.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-06-06, 4:29pm

Welcome to LE Lesbatts. You're going to love it here.
I've ordered from Glass Diversions several times and love their frit. You can use it with 104 coe in small amounts. I've read some posts that say 5% and some that say as much as 15%. I usually roll mine in the frit twice, I like a full coverage with only a little of the base bead showing. I can't help any with making it as I haven't tried it. I would rather use the premixed ones that are usually made from colors we don't have available in the 104 coe lines. Below are two pix using the same frit (blue suede shoes) (not sure if that is Glass Diversions or not) The focal is one of my favorites but it cracked. Frit can be so much fun!! Go for it!

Sorry the pix are so large.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell

Last edited by Donna T.; 2007-06-06 at 4:32pm.
Old 2007-06-06, 4:47pm

Hi Lesbatts, Welcome to LE!

I've ordered from Glass Diversions before without any problems - Love their frit blends! When I upgraded from ie6 to ie7 I started getting the Security Warning when I tried to check out. I emailed Robin about it. I hope she is able to get it fixed soon as I'm sure a number of people are reluctant to continue checking out with that warning. You could probably email Robin (contact link is at the bottom of the home page) and ask her to send you a paypal invoice instead of using the shopping cart.

Like Karen, I've switched to Uroboros so I can use lots of frit and not worry about compatibility
Old 2007-06-06, 5:01pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi_B View Post
Like Karen, I've switched to Uroboros so I can use lots of frit and not worry about compatibility
Us frit ho's think alike! More, more, more!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2007-06-06, 5:09pm

If you want to use your leftover glass (waste not, want not)
you could find a heavy duty old blender (I was lucky to have one)
and make frit that way.
Then, use a strainer to get out the fine powder and you have a nice frit if you didn't pulverize it too much.
Old 2007-06-06, 5:22pm
Obsessive Torch Disorder

I have been using 96 COE frit with my 104 glass and just recently had a rash of cracks on almost every bead I made. I then got scared to death that some of the beads I had sold may have had/developed cracks. So, rather than go through THAT again, I have decided NOT to mix my COE's anymore.

There aren't a lot of 104 frit blends out there, so I ordered a bunch of single color 104 frits from Frantz and have decided to mix my own! I feel MUCH more confident about my work now that I'm not mixing....As someone here told me, sometimes the mixing works and sometimes it doesn't...I just DON"T want to take that chance anymore...

~Lynn

Facebook:

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
Old 2007-06-06, 9:11pm
It's all about the color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbatts View Post
I looked at the frit available from Glass Diversions and although it is a 96 Coe they say it can be used with all 104 Coe glass sparingly. Does anyone have any experience using this glass?
Glass Diversionns frit is great. I have a page up with a few test beads on it that you can take a peak at:
http://www.listen-up.org/kitty/beads/frit.htm

All of them are on a base of 104 coe glass. I'm slowly making progress in this project and hope to be able to update the needed colors page.

>> What's involved in making your own frit. <<

I got a nifty little frit crusher that I just LOVE. To get the frit evenly sized, you put it through a series of screens.

Have a great day!

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2007-06-06, 9:39pm

Glass Diversions frit is lovely.

if you want 104 frit, gail @ www.ggglass.com sells great 104 blends, as well as furnace glass (around 96) blends!

beadgoodies.com has great blends too
so does spiraldancedesigns.com

I'm frit addicted & it's ALL KAY'S FAULT!! (Kay, are you gonna make more of your rainbow frit blend??)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2007-06-06, 10:08pm
It's all about the color.

>> (Kay, are you gonna make more of your rainbow frit blend??)<<

I really hadn't thought about it, but now that I have my nifty frit crusher, I guess I could. If things around here ever slow down to a dull roar, I'll give it a go. Ask me again in a couple weeks and perhas things will look better by then.

And, I'm glad you liked it. I do too.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2007-06-06, 11:26pm
Corgi Cult Member

If you do decide to make your own frit with a blender or a coffee grinder, be very careful of the glass dust it creates. It's very, very bad for your lungs.
Allow it to sit long enough after grinding to let all the dust settle down. Then be careful getting it out of the machine so you don't make the dust become airborne.

The furnace glass frits are very intense and vibrant. Colors and effects are available that cannot be achieved with 104 frit. If you are worried about using them on 104, ask the vendor which of their blends you should try first. They experiment with the blends themselves as they develope them, so they often know which ones are easy and which are tempermental.

Glass Diversions allows you to choose the colors in her sampler packs. I also have some beautiful blends from ValCox.

Just to warn you, frit can be very hazardous to your bank account. It's impossible to stop at just a couple colors.

Old 2007-06-07, 4:23am

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwhim View Post
If you do decide to make your own frit with a blender or a coffee grinder, be very careful of the glass dust it creates. It's very, very bad for your lungs.
Allow it to sit long enough after grinding to let all the dust settle down. Then be careful getting it out of the machine so you don't make the dust become airborne.
What she said!! Also be sure to wear a good particle mask - at least N95, N100 is even better. Someone also posted a while back (sorry, don't remember who) about using a blender and grinding in water to eliminate the glass dust problem. I haven't tried it yet, but it's on my list of things to do Heat your glass in the flame or kiln and then plunge into water, then give it a whirl in the blender. Strain through a coffee filter and let dry. Watch out for dust once it's dry.
Old 2007-06-07, 10:02am

Talking Frit

Hi,
Thanks girls for all the info on frit, it was very helpful! I haven't decided what I'd like to purchase for frit as of yet but you've given me food (I mean frit) for thought. Also great beads Donna and Kitty. Take care.
Lesbatts
Old 2007-06-24, 2:32pm
Hopeless glass addict!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
Glass Diversions frit is lovely.

beadgoodies.com has great blends too
so does spiraldancedesigns.com
I agree...and she definitely has some of the best prices! Also, she has 5 & 10 pack samplers (you choose the blends you want to try) offered at the lowest cost I've seen! Free shipping! Low-cost refills! Anyone who hasn't checked out Candy's site yet has a real treat in store!

http://www.beadgoodies.com/

~Mendy

Happiness is roasting glass with your best friend!