Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-01-11, 2:41pm

Default Burning Through Mandrel

OK any one ever burn through the mandrel while working on a bead. Well I did and it fell off in front of me. I don't understand it. I was using a 1/16th mandrel and a betta torch. Help is that suppose to happen?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Michelle
aka Mommawoodsy

Old 2008-01-11, 2:45pm

Haven't had that happen, yet, but I've seen others' posts referring to it. I'm curious about it as well.

Old 2008-01-11, 2:53pm
Macaw Mamma

oh yea... but I burn through 3/32 mandrels... I only do boro, so I don't use 1/16 mandrels at all, guess I would flat disintegrate those.....

It happend because there is too much heat hitting the mandrel, try to just heat the glass.... do as I say, not as I do!! HA HA

Seriously... be very careful... wearing a leather apron has saved me from burning myself many times

Torchin' with a Cheetah and a Bobcat on tanked O2
Fusin' in a Jen-Ken

Last edited by dpglassworks; 2008-01-11 at 3:11pm.
Old 2008-01-11, 2:57pm

I have burned through a couple of thin mandrels trying to melt glass for a pucker, or some such thing. If you are quick you can grab the longer remaining end of the mandrel with clamps and finish the bead, and gently drop it into your kiln. Usually you will have enough mandrel on the end part to grab it to get your bead off as well. Always have those clamps handy. You never know how you might suddenly need them! xiola

Old 2008-01-11, 4:49pm

Totally normal (well, a little). You were just aiming your flame at the mandrel a little too much for a little too long. Scary though, isn't it? All of a sudden your bead drops! I only did it once a long time ago, but once was enough.

I don't know if I'd pick it and balance it into the kiln, but I would take my time and pick it up and drop it in water. If it were my bead, it would prolly end up with crap all over it anyway. And I would worry more about getting it in the kiln and prolly burning myself.

Leather aprons are fantastic! I never torch without mine. I figure just once and that'll be the day I drop something in my lap!

"Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time." ~Thomas Merton
Old 2008-01-11, 4:54pm
da General

Yup, been there done that, probably do it again . . . especially with boro!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-01-11, 5:49pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I burn through them on a regular basis!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-01-11, 7:08pm
Ad astra per aspera

Hehe, I've ever burned through some older 1/8" mandrels with boro.

Normally it happens with older mandrels that are, well, kinda tired. But 1/16" mandrels burn through really easy.

Old 2008-01-12, 9:34am
Life is change. Love it

Yep, been there done that!

Old 2008-01-12, 9:38am
Genus: gwacefulia klumsia

Ditto what Karen (Sherwood) said, older mandrels seem to be more likely to be vulnerable to this. It's rare but it's always a little surprising when it happens!
etsy shop:

doggies:
Old 2008-01-12, 9:56am

Oh yeah, been there done that and have a burn scar to prove it. Don't know what made me try to catch it.
Old 2008-01-12, 6:00pm

Default Yikes!

Oh dang! I'm resolving here and now to stop griping about frying through my bead release - I didn't even know you COULD burn through a mandrel.
Old 2008-01-12, 8:21pm
FreeAssociatesVeryFreely

i have burned through quite a few 1 1/16 using boro.. just get so intent of chasing or following the emerging vision...i always keep pad of annealing blanket beneath the torch tip.. if i am not paying enough attention to how hot my mandrel is getting, and it does fall off, it falls there and i grab the 1/2 " tip i always leave on the end with pliers, and finish it up....i have such interesting scars from the times BEFORE i figured out the blanket capture method

Old 2008-01-12, 9:24pm
make beads not war

I've done this too many times and have witnessed it happen to others too.
Old 2008-01-12, 10:38pm
Life is Short,Art is Long

Never happened when I used soft glass. Once I started using boro and cranked my torch up, it became very clear that 1/16th mandrels were not an option.

Old 2008-01-13, 11:54am
Hopeless glass addict!

This happened to me once with a new mandrel. I was making a mushroom at the time, so no intense, long periods in the flame. I think there was just some impurity in the metal because it just fizzled and popped off suddenly.

~Mendy

Happiness is roasting glass with your best friend!

Old 2008-01-13, 1:20pm
Plays with Fire

Yup, I 've done this several times.
Jen
Old 2008-01-13, 1:33pm
Flamewoman

Some days I fry thru several of them. Mostly when doing boro.
I have seen on the Aura Lens site that they have almost Indestructable mandrels are made of a new high-tech super high temperature steel. They resist bending and melting. Imagine being able to make three or more borosilicate beads on a mandrel and not having the mandrel melt from excessive heat.
Anybody ever try any of these? As much as I love my boro split lens glasses from them, I might think they would be great.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2008-01-13, 3:50pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Yup! Too much heat - and not on the bead.....but on the mandrel......

Old 2008-01-13, 9:42pm
A Splash o' Glass

Several times on the 1/16th mandrels. Usually when I have the mandrel tipped at an angle to place dots, not paying attention to the mandrel and only my dot placement and next thing I know the tip of the mandrel is at at 45 degree angle.

Old 2008-01-14, 11:23am

Have you looked at the material that your mandrels are made of? I seldom burn through mandrels anymore (been doing soft beads since 1991) but suddenly started having that problem. I blame a batch of ER316L rods I picked up at the welder's supply, rather than my usual ER306L. The welders assured me that these were "an even higher heat alloy" than the 306, but I call bullsh** on that! At least not for this application! ~Jenny the Firebrand
Old 2008-01-14, 11:27am
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post
Some days I fry thru several of them. Mostly when doing boro.
I have seen on the Aura Lens site that they have almost Indestructable mandrels are made of a new high-tech super high temperature steel. They resist bending and melting. Imagine being able to make three or more borosilicate beads on a mandrel and not having the mandrel melt from excessive heat.
Anybody ever try any of these? As much as I love my boro split lens glasses from them, I might think they would be great.
Don't bother - burned through those too! lol!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-01-14, 11:53am
Just me

I just did this for the first time on Saturday. I was reworking a bead that had cracked quite some time ago and had been sitting in my kiln through several annealing cycles because I just didn't feel like fixing it. In the middle of reshaping the end I saw sparks and then my bead just dropped off onto my table.

For that brief second I saw the sparks I couldn't figure out why my bead was doing that. Now I know! It was my mandrel just giving up the ghost after being tortured for so long through all those annealing cycles. Poor thing. Lol!