LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-04-08, 7:21pm

Default 104 bright transparent purple???

I am frustrated that I can't find a transparent purple in 104 that isn't either too pale, too dark, or too pink. I have all the shades of effetre/vetrofond transparent purples. The closest I have found is lavender blue and it's way too pale. I'm making hollows for spring and have made a group in aqua and lime green and want to do a bright purple set too. Any ideas? Any pics would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!
Old 2010-04-08, 7:23pm
Formerly FishBulb

CIM Crocus is a bright translucent purple. Its shade is unlike any in the Effetre line, and I have all of the Effetre transparent purples.

I don't have a pic yet but if I can get a decent pic I'll post one. It's a very pretty purple but it's not totally transparent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-04-08, 7:25pm
><>

Is there a dark one that you like that you could thin out?
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2010-04-08, 7:27pm

I haven't tried that because it seems like even the dark ones I have are too amethyst rather than a good true purple but maybe I'll try tomorrow. Good idea. Thanks!
Old 2010-04-08, 7:30pm
Formerly FishBulb

Moretti Violet Ink Blue is a very dense purple which you could layer over clear. It's not bright but it's not amethyst-looking either.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-04-08, 7:31pm

Got plenty of ink blue so I'll have to try that. On Flamedame's site I found Lauscha's Famous Purple. Anyone tried it? What about Glassdaddy purple?
Old 2010-04-08, 7:32pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

I love Moretti Light Violet Transparent 591041. Or is that too blue for you?
It's the one that I used here in the rounds with silver wire and the barrels with silver foil:

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2010-04-08, 7:33pm

Oh Judith!!!!! That's a real purple! How did I miss that? Do you think it would hold that color as a hollow?

ETA-Now I know why I haven't tried it before. Here's what it looks like on Frantz's website. Much prettier by you!!!
http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....keyword=591041
Old 2010-04-08, 7:35pm

I absolutely love Lauscha Blue Violet, but it's pretty dark. Could work with hollows though.

ETA: They do have a Medium Violet from Lauscha that looks one or two shades lighter. Haven't tried that one yet, but it's on my wish list.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->

Last edited by Judith Billig; 2010-04-08 at 7:39pm.
Old 2010-04-08, 7:35pm

Yeah, it doesn't look anything like the paddly on the website.
This paddly looks greyer & more washed out than the real thing, and nearly opaque.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2010-04-08, 7:37pm

It would surely look a tad lighter as a hollow, but it's pretty dense.
I can see it work well.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2010-04-08, 7:37pm

GORGEOUS beads! Thanks so much for the pics! The blue violet is probably darker than I'm looking for. Have you tried Lauscha Famous Purple or Glassdaddy Purple?
Old 2010-04-08, 7:45pm

I didn't try Lauscha Famous Purple yet (or Glassdaddy Purple), but it's supposedly the "lighter sister" of this purple.
So I gather it might be pretty close to the Moretti Light Violet.
I'm so in love with the Lauscha transparents right now, I will order the Famous Purple with my next order, that's for sure (and many other Lauscha transparents). They work so nicely and the colors are so crisp & clear compared with the Italian glass. I'm smitten

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2010-04-08, 7:46pm

Have you had any compatability issues mixing Lauscha with other 104 glass? BTW, thanks so much for all the info!

ETA-Angie I missed your post about CIM Crocus. I'd love to see a pic because the paddle on Frantz's site looks pink to me.

Last edited by mnoelker; 2010-04-08 at 7:49pm.
Old 2010-04-08, 7:47pm

Mary - no, so far I didn't have any issues.
I mixed it so far with some of the Moretti colors and some Double Helix silver glass.
Encasing with DC, Aether and Super Clear didn't cause any problems so far.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2010-04-08, 7:51pm

Judith you're a doll. Thanks so much!
Old 2010-04-08, 9:57pm
passionate about pets

I just used CIM ink blue and i found when i wrapped it around a base of white i looks grape purple to me....looks alot like Moretti Light Violet Transparent

*StOrM*

Nortel Minor- Natural gas & Oxycon

Old 2010-04-09, 5:30am
Rose colored glasses…√

Glassdaddy Purple is gorgeous. I can try to make a hollow out of it this weekend, but I do FAR BETTER at hollows in 96coe.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2010-04-09, 5:54am

Ooooh Chriss I'd love to see one!
Old 2010-04-09, 7:27am
Rose colored glasses…√

I'll try, but...a query...

Why must your purple be in 104? Gail's (www.ggglass.com) dark hyacinth is gorgeous. If you look at my sold items on etsy, you'll see incredibly poor quality pictures of some dark hyacinth hollows.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2010-04-09, 8:30am
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

Hey Mary! This is CIM Crocus that Fishbulb was talking about. It is truly purple, melts beautifully, and is quite pretty, but it is not transparent. It is like a lavender milk glass.

--Joy

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2010-04-09, 9:33am

The devardi transparent purple is true grape purple. I've used it mixed with several other transparents, over moretti or vetro white with no issues. For a year now.
Old 2010-04-09, 1:23pm

Chriss-Those hollows are so tiny! How in the world do you do that? The color is gorgeous but it looks like veiled cane and I'm looking for a straight transparent. As far as the 104 goes I'm adding some shards to the hollows that are 104, and I only have 104.

Joy-Thanks for the pic! Crocus is beautiful but like you said not transparent.

likes-Do you have any pictures?
Old 2010-04-09, 1:44pm
Did someone say SALE?

Effetre's purples 039 and 041 are pretty colors of purple. (Apologies if those are the colors already mentioned, but it is confusing when some sellers will call it by different names.) Anyway, you have to layer it with clear because it is pretty dark in the rod. ABR carries both of those. Wish I had pics to help more!
Old 2010-04-09, 2:31pm
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

Here is my go-to transparent purple: moretti 058 light. In this bead it is layered over white and I think it is a really pretty violet if that is what you are after. I'm not sure what your application is (forgive me if you already said) but I think it might be a nice choice.

--Joy

Old 2010-04-09, 2:41pm
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

Here is moretti 058 over a clear base.

--Joy

Old 2010-04-09, 6:33pm

Thanks for the pics Joy. Pretty purple but a little dark for what I'm looking for. So far Judith's Moretti Light Violet Transparent 591041 in her first pic is closest to the bright purple I'm looking for but I want to wait to see Glassdaddy purple before I order.

Thanks for all the ideas. I am loving all these true purple options!
Old 2010-04-09, 7:19pm

Tha Lauscha "Famous Purple" on my website is the same as Glassdaddy Purple. I didn't want to call it Glassdaddy Purple. I sent a rod of Glassdaddy to Lauscha and had them match it for me then I compared both batches on a light box tobe sure they were the same. I also have darker purple and Grace has the lighter purple. The Famous Purple/Glassdaddy Purple is actually Lauscha's Blue Violet and other dealers may call it that. It is a gorgeous color. SuperNova is pretty too. It is dark purple with silver.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2010-04-10, 3:45am
LE cat whisperer

Lauscha "Famous Purple" would be my choice. It is the prettiest grape transparent color. It isn't too dark and it isn't too light. It doesn't have a tint of any color but PURPLE(YUM). If you look at my purple beads below and look past the dichro, the purple in this set is the "Famous Purple".

Tanya Harness-Floyd

Website ~
~
~
Old 2010-04-10, 6:57am

Gorgeous Tanya! Thanks so much for the pics.