LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-05-17, 11:55am

Default ETCHING gone wrong.

Help I ruined 2 beautiful beads that I made yesterday by Etching them!
I used clear nail polish over the flowers and leaves and vines, etched them, used nail polish remover to take off the clear nail polish and this is what I got.
Scum next to the flowers and leaves.
HELP.. what did I do wrong.

I tried etching some plain round ones and there fine so its not my etching liquid.
Old 2012-05-17, 11:56am

Is it the nail polish? I washed them off with soap and water before I took the pictures.
Old 2012-05-17, 12:03pm
T.J. made me do it

Take a toothbrush and gently scrub them with water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-05-17, 12:10pm

Ok, will try that now. Thanks
Old 2012-05-17, 2:09pm

You can try scrubbing with toothpasted for the scum part.
Old 2012-05-17, 2:45pm

K, the toothbrush didn't really help much, will try toothpaste. And I noticed it doesn't look that "etched"...I left it in the jar for 10min....is my Etching liquid old?
Old 2012-05-17, 2:51pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Ten minutes? That is extreme. I only etch my beads for a few minutes.

Old 2012-05-17, 3:11pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Is it a DH clear?

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2012-05-17, 3:15pm
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
Ten minutes? That is extreme. I only etch my beads for a few minutes.
REALLY? What do you use?? Or maybe mine is old, too? It seems to take forever for them to etch...like thirty minutes.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2012-05-17, 4:08pm

It's Double Helix Zephra... do you think thats why, or my etching stuff is way old. It still has 3/4 left...I don't etch hardly never!! This is the reason! I get so scared especially etching transparent glass never goes right with me.
Old 2012-05-17, 4:19pm
da General

Double Helix Aether doesn't etch (well if you leave it in the etching solution long enough, it "etches" spottily) so I haven't tried to etch Zephyr. Perhaps it's the glass.

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-05-17, 5:36pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Blaty View Post
REALLY? What do you use?? Or maybe mine is old, too? It seems to take forever for them to etch...like thirty minutes.
I etch for only 30 seconds to 2 minutes tops. I use etch all liquid but I also take about 10 mnutes to slowly mix it up and it is like mixing organic nut butters.. very hard to stir at first.

It etches a soft velvety finish every time.
Old 2012-05-17, 5:42pm

Sounds like your etching liquid is maybe a bit old. Also try soaking them in a saturated baking soda solution for a bit and then going over them with an old toothbrush. If you don't get all of the acid neutralized it will continue to slowly degrade the surface. This is more likely along raised edges.

Robert
Old 2012-05-17, 5:43pm

Hayley, Thats what I used for the base glass, Zephyr, and it did etch spottily. I also use Etch All, dip and Etch.. Mine is a liquid tho. No stir, just shake...
Old 2012-05-17, 8:10pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Saw the post in the gallery & came in here to comment, so sorry to hear that they aren't so great Teena, I feel partly responsible!

I used plain old Effetre clear for those beads & I use an etching solution that was originally crystals & I made up into a brown liquid with hot water. Have had it about 12 months now, I always etch my beads for around 15-20 mins, the heart & lentil would have been for 20 mins. I didn't cover the flowers or anything, just chucked the bead in & etched the whole thing.

Other than that I can't really help (lack of knowledge really), I do dunk them in baking soda & water when I'm finished, then scrub them in clear water with an old toothbrush before drying them.

I hope you work out what the problem is, your beads are beautiful!

Old 2012-05-17, 8:31pm
Sheila Davis Designs

If the Etch All is fresh it only takes a few minutes to work. I've heard of putting Elmer's glue on the part you dont want etched, let it dry real good and then wash it off when the beads are done etching.

Old 2012-05-17, 8:32pm
Mr Brutus RIP

I just etched beads tonight, a bunch of mixed stuff transparents. I use the brown crystals and they didn't seem to etch at all so I kept going longer.....now they are all ruined, horrible.
I'm SO upset! Mine don't have that line like yours tho. Did the toothpaste help yours?

So sorry to see your beautiful beads ruined

Old 2012-05-17, 9:14pm

I had a bead of CiM kryptonite made in a hothead. It was pretty. Batch annealed it, looked like snot. Put it in etching solution. Forgot it. Took it out 24 hours later...

Now it's mint green and thoroughly etched. I had to scrub it inside and out to get rid of all of the eaten-up glass. I love it! If I wasn't so worried about it's structural integrity now, I'd wear it or sell it.

I think I use etch all too. When I first got it, I etched for 1 minute. Now I
leave it a couple minutes then remove it. Except for that one I'll-fated bead.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2012-05-18, 12:40am

I have had success heating to annealing temp in the kiln, then flame polishing in the torch to undo etching, mine are tumbler etched not acid and not as intricate as yours, could be worth a try ...
Old 2012-05-18, 4:26am
Naysayer

I wonder too if it's the Zephyr since someone pickled it and it was ruined by that. Maybe it doesn't like chemicals ?

My dip etch is pretty old, it works. It's got 'crystal flake chunks' in it, it's that old.
Old 2012-05-18, 11:41am

The toothpaste did work for the scum, but the beads are blotchy etched, so they are neither clear or etched.. me sad..
Old 2012-05-18, 2:48pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Yea, the opaque parts on mine are etched but the transparent parts are some etched and some parts not etched. really ticks me off cause I have a bunch ruined. I went out to mess with them and scrub.....no luck. I don't understand why some transparent colors are not etched at all........and I left them in quite a while......I hesitate to say how long LOL
blotchy, streaky and just YUCK!

Old 2012-05-18, 4:56pm
Steph

Sorry about your bead Teena!

It would appear that DH Zephyr doesn't etch, check out this post from Frit Happens - about half way down - post from Julie (LUSH).

http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/...topic=33000.15

Could be useful if you wanted parts not to etch!

My Etsy Shop and Inner Depth Tutorial:

Come like me at:
Old 2012-05-18, 5:00pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassymom View Post
Yea, the opaque parts on mine are etched but the transparent parts are some etched and some parts not etched. really ticks me off cause I have a bunch ruined. I went out to mess with them and scrub.....no luck. I don't understand why some transparent colors are not etched at all........and I left them in quite a while......I hesitate to say how long LOL
blotchy, streaky and just YUCK!
If they don't have raised detail (including balls of silver), you could save them by tumbling in a rock tumbler... if you don't have one, you could send them to me and I'll tumble them for you and send them back.

Old 2012-05-19, 9:23am

Ok thanks Steph! Must be true and that I'm not crazy! lol
I'm glad I started this thread.