TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: Should I stay with tanked liquid oxygen?
Hell yes! Purity is everything if you can afford it. 11 16.92%
Yes. You've got a good thing going in several ways. Stick with tanked. 6 9.23%
Maybe. The pros and cons even out. You could get an oxycon for backup. 11 16.92%
No. Soft glass is not that sensitive to oxy purity. Get an oxycon and save money. 38 58.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-08-07, 1:10pm
Optimistic Pariah

Default Stay With Tanked Oxygen Instead Of An OxyCon???

For the last 5 years I've been working on a Bobcat with wonderful liquid oxygen. I love it. I mostly work the flame high and tight, but can change it to anything I need. It's a huge tank, and when I'm torching balls to the wall it will last 4-5 weeks. Refills for $250, and the welding supply guys pick up and deliver, usually in the same day, sometimes even doing a swap in the same visit.
The downside: if I don't use it for a while, it goes to waste. 'Course, it takes a full 3 months for it to vent itself empty. Not too bad, really. But I have another business project going on right now that keeps me from torching full-time.
I know that the purity is an issue with a few of the 'greats' that I've talked to, and they'd never leave tanked for an oxycon.
What is YOUR experience? Is there much of a difference? Is an oxycon a pain in the bum or do you love it or both?
Please help!
If you selected more than one opinion in the poll, please explain. I need all the help I can get.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

She laughed like someone who had thought hard about life and had seen the joke.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ShibumiGlass; 2008-08-07 at 1:16pm.
Old 2008-08-07, 1:20pm
Button Queen

I looked at your website, and it looks like you use mostly soft glass. A Bobcat is a "smaller" torch (in the grand scheme of things...). I use an oxycon (M-15) for the center-fire of a Barracuda (essentially a Piranha) and just LOVE it. Granted, it is NOT as hot as tanked, but then I don't have to lug around tanks.

My suggestion is that if you're going to go to an oxycon, avoid a 5lpm one. I think the change from tanked to a smaller oxycon would be too drastic for you. I would get something bigger - M-15, Regalia, anything putting out more lpm/psi.

Just my $0.02.
Old 2008-08-07, 2:16pm
Smooches!

Robin I run my Cheetah on a Regalia. I know you could 100% from that Regalia on a bobcat.

Miss Kate

cocktail napkins available at:

Now running my Cheetah on 2 Regalia's - pure heaven!

Old 2008-08-07, 2:37pm

Miss Kate...you run a "cheetah one 1 oxycon??? Could you run it on natural gas as well or tanked propane only?
Sorry for the hijack but I would love to be able to do a bigger torch~
But to keep in line with this thread I run a Betta on 2 5lpms machines. It runs fine on just one but the two melt boro pretty nicely and I have two torches so that if I have a class or a friend over I can split it between two torches

Old 2008-08-07, 3:39pm

I wouild love to purchase a 15 lpm. That would be awesome. As it is I have two 5 lpm oxycons. They are good for soft glass. I have a tank for the boro. Only it is a small four foot one. It doesn't last long if I get going on it.

Rose Leslie
Old 2008-08-07, 4:37pm
Smooches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenie View Post
Miss Kate...you run a "cheetah one 1 oxycon??? Could you run it on natural gas as well or tanked propane only?
Sorry for the hijack but I would love to be able to do a bigger torch~
But to keep in line with this thread I run a Betta on 2 5lpms machines. It runs fine on just one but the two melt boro pretty nicely and I have two torches so that if I have a class or a friend over I can split it between two torches

Yes Maam Irene - I do run my Cheetah on 1 Regalia. Don't know about natural gas, since I'm out in the boonies & we run on propane here anyway. My barbque tanks of propane last a long time anyway.

Honestly the only difference I have seen on my Cheetah between tanked O2, and the Regalia is that with the Regalia I have small yellow tips on the candles. I can burn, boil and melt the shit out of stuff with my setup.

Hothead Beads here on LE has used my setup here at my house. She normally uses a mini CC with 2 oxycons. She can tell you that my setup is hotter than hers. Maybe she'll chime in here.

Old 2008-08-07, 5:31pm
Type ZZZ personality

If you were planning on working boro and you can get the tanks picked up/delivered, I'd say stick to tanks. But if you're just working soft glass, go for the oxycon and save yourself the money!!

I'm on a Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons. If I could get someone to deliver oxygen tanks and haul them to my basement for me, I would, but I'm pretty darned happy with the oxycons. I make smaller boro stuff with no problem. (Up to about 2")

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2008-08-07, 8:19pm
Fire Diva

Why don't you just change from your huge liquid oxygen tank to a smaller oxygen tank...k tank or t tank? I have 3 oxygen tanks...they do not vent...so none goes to waste. Even after months of not being used.

Old 2008-08-08, 11:26pm
<--misses Austin buddies

oh I don't know - what I DO know is you and Nick need to come visit us more often!
LOL!

Old 2008-08-09, 8:18am

I have a regalia...and it is HEAVENLY...Mrs Flamewerks say you can even work boro with it!
It improved my beadmaking overnight! lol

Beads galore at my ebay store!

Minor with a REGALIA heavenly!
Old 2008-08-09, 10:20am

again...if you pop for the regalia you CAN work boro...Mrs Flamewerks says so!
at the cost of buying oxy it will pay for itself pretty quick...and no having to stop because you ran out either...

the regalia is heavenly

Old 2008-08-09, 10:31am
Melt That Glass

I have a knight bullet and use two oxycons for the inner flame and tanked for the outer. The down side of oxycon is: they have to warm up (O2 is right there for ya). I used to be only O2, but it did get expensive...when I switched I couldn't tell much difference when I worked soft glass....

Knight Bullet, 2 cons and tanked
Old 2008-08-09, 10:33am
Entropy increasing....

Aren't they noisy?
Old 2008-08-09, 11:41am
Smooches!

I don't consider my Regalia to be noisy at all. In fact there have been a couple of times, I've finished torching and forgotten to turn it off. Hubby finally heard it & turned it off. And no, I'm not deaf...

Old 2008-08-10, 7:10am
Butterfly Rancher

My refrigerator is noisier than my Regalia. And when I know I'm about to start a torching session, the first thing I turn on is the oxycon. By the time, I'm ready to start torching, the oxycon is warmed up. I believe 10 minutes is the recommended warm-up time for any oxycon. I haven't used any tanks in my home studio (natural gas + oxycon). I currently have a MiniCC and a brand new Betta. I've worked small boro pieces on both the torches. For soft glass, I turn the oxycon down to 7 (Regalia is 10 LPM) and it works as easily as any studio torch that I've used running on tanked fuel & oxygen. The Bobcat is supposedly more O2 efficient than the MiniCC, so I think you'd be fine with an oxycon. But I'd recommend that you speak with Kimberly at Pyronamix http://www.pyronamix.com/ She has technical data on the LPM needed to run the Bobcat at its best.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2008-11-18, 11:36pm
Certified Yoga Teacher

I run an Onyx+ at about 60% with my Lynx for soft glass, and I've not experienced any purity issues. I still have a large O2 tank in case I decide I want to go back when I do boro (which I keep saying I will, but haven't). The way I look at these things is that they have wonderful resale value if you decide they don't suit you, so try it!

Liz

Old 2008-11-18, 11:38pm
Certified Yoga Teacher

And it's not as noisy as an A/C or heater unit -- I'm still able to watch DVD's while I torch!

Liz

Old 2008-11-19, 12:55am
The Crazy One

If your going to be to busy not torching to make a dewer (Liquid O2) sensible trade it out for tanked O2. Sorry concentrator people, but once you have used LOX even going to tanked is a down grade. Going to a concentrator? I shall be kind in saying that it works for some.

I work off tanks. I want LOX. I have used concentrators, I piggybacked 3, sold those in less than 2 weeks. I have worked the 15's and 20's. I'm still on tanked and lusting for a dewer.

Its OK to slam me, this is my opinion based on MY experience. To flame me my email address is plumlocodesigns@gmail.com Lets keep the crap off LE.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled station, we hope you enjoy your broadcasting day.
Old 2008-11-19, 7:05am
Ad astra per aspera

You can see my setup in my sigline. I work hot, I work boro, I've worked Satake (too mushy for my tastes, though). I used to use tanked oxy but switched when I was in a 2nd floor apartment and tank surfing wasn't fun. My Onyx has paid for itself several times over, now. I just hit 1000 hours on it, and it's humming along great. The supply is unlimited (as long as I can keep the power on ), and electricity is (relatively) cheap. And no more tank surfing!

I got to use LOX at GlassStock and I can't honestly say I noticed a significant difference, at least on the MiniCC's. The Hellcat was a different story, but I think it was my enjoyment of the torch itself as much as anything else.

Old 2008-11-19, 8:31am
Gone Fishing!

I have worked both and LOVE my tanked oxy. I work both soft and boro so it works out for me. I think if your a boro person or a combo COE worker then it just makes more sense to have tanked. If you only work soft then it makes more sense to have a concentrator or generator.

Ebay Id: ArtglassbyHollyYoung
Etsy ID: ArtglassbyHollyYoung
Old 2008-11-19, 2:42pm
Boro Brat

Honestly? I love LOX or tanks. That said, right now I am working on a cricket with 2 5lpm oxy cons for production work for shows and I've been very happy with it. For my larger work, I will stick with tanks but for small things, my oxy cons are doing well for me. I never thought I would feel that way about oxy cons until the cricket came along. It's a hot, penetrating little torch and I think that makes all the difference. In your position, I would probably use k or t tanks until the "distraction" was over

Old 2008-11-19, 6:31pm
ManBearPig

Tanked oxygen > concentrators.

Old 2008-11-19, 6:39pm
In search of her path....

Liquid was the best thing I ever used. If I could have it now and be torching I totally would in a heartbeat. If your only choice option is using a concentrator thats fine but if you have the LOX id stick with it. I got the best results ever with LOX. I miss it so much.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2008-11-19, 7:14pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by IF-Designs View Post
Liquid was the best thing I ever used. If I could have it now and be torching I totally would in a heartbeat. If your only choice option is using a concentrator thats fine but if you have the LOX id stick with it. I got the best results ever with LOX. I miss it so much.
I agree. If I could get liquid delivered here, I would do it in a heartbeat. Instead, I have to settle for K tanks...

Old 2008-11-20, 10:33am

I would use LOX hands down no matter what the cost is. Compared to high pressure tanks it is much cheaper and you can't beat the purity! Soft glass was made to work with tanked oxygen and it DOES make a difference. You get much better color with tanks. I have a lot of experience with all kinds of torches on LOX and on concentrators and generators from when we had the Tin City Studio open. Right now I have a Regalia at home because there is not a spot for tanks. And it's ok but nothing like a LOX tank. This summer I am building a shed and going back to tanks.
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-11-20, 11:06am
Broken

I've used Liquid, tanked and a concentrator. I love my concentrator. I do think I got lucky when I bought mine and got a good one. I'll be upgrading to a generator this Xmas (if Santa is good to me)

Liquid was a no go for us here as our house insurance was null and void if we had it. I have tanked but rarely use it. I do work on the smallish side of things, but find my concentrator can keep up to making gear shifts.

Old 2008-11-20, 4:18pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammaws View Post
I have a knight bullet and use two oxycons for the inner flame and tanked for the outer. The down side of oxycon is: they have to warm up (O2 is right there for ya). I used to be only O2, but it did get expensive...when I switched I couldn't tell much difference when I worked soft glass....

NOT the regalia...you turn it on and it is putting out up to 10:L of 0 2

Old 2008-11-20, 4:22pm

when i turn mine on it is ready to go...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckah View Post
My refrigerator is noisier than my Regalia. And when I know I'm about to start a torching session, the first thing I turn on is the oxycon. By the time, I'm ready to start torching, the oxycon is warmed up. I believe 10 minutes is the recommended warm-up time for any oxycon. I haven't used any tanks in my home studio (natural gas + oxycon). I currently have a MiniCC and a brand new Betta. I've worked small boro pieces on both the torches. For soft glass, I turn the oxycon down to 7 (Regalia is 10 LPM) and it works as easily as any studio torch that I've used running on tanked fuel & oxygen. The Bobcat is supposedly more O2 efficient than the MiniCC, so I think you'd be fine with an oxycon. But I'd recommend that you speak with Kimberly at Pyronamix http://www.pyronamix.com/ She has technical data on the LPM needed to run the Bobcat at its best.

Old 2008-11-23, 8:06am
one day at a time

I've got an Airsep generator that is overkill for my Bobcat, and a 5lpm that gives me a softer flame and slower melt, but no difference in the colors. I've never worked with tanked, so I wouldn't know really.

Are the soft glass colors really that much better with tanked?? How, are they brighter? No scum on the turquoises and copper green? What about rubino?
Old 2008-11-23, 9:03am

On the other hand. Last night I used my Regalia and Lynx and that is a Rocking combination!!
I was easily melting Bullseye glass. Util the Regalia I had gone through 2 concentrators and another Generator and just couldn't get enough juice.

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !