Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-09-25, 8:09pm

Default dichoric and lauscha cracking?

Are there any problems with using lauscha clear with dichoric glass that a newbie should know.

I did a oval chunky and it cracked in two places.. I may have let it get to cool, but thought I would ask the experts?

Thanks
Old 2012-09-26, 5:29am
addicted to dichro

I don't think so but you have to be careful using lauscha with anything sometimes. Were there any other glass or colors in the bead?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-09-26, 5:35am

transparent blue base dichoric and clear.
Old 2012-09-26, 5:40am
Lampworkaholic!

It probably wasn't the dichro itself but the glass it was made on (filmed on?). Assuming it was 104 dichro, maybe the Lauscha didn't like the base glass. Lauscha doesn't always play nice with other 104 glass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-09-26, 6:08am

I will try again and this time not marvel so much and see how it reacts.

I did another with Vet. trans. base, dichoric and vet base small round and it did not crack. The larger, Vet trans, dichoric and LC. Cracked after sitting for a 1/2 day. Was not cracked coming out of the kiln. Cleaned the beads and then when I next looked at them it was cracked.

I will do another with the LC. I have been using it for encasing because the other clears, smoke up or discolor with my hothead.

Thank you for your comments.
Old 2012-09-26, 6:51am

There is an annealing schedule on my website that should be used when mixing LC with other glass. Also the bead needs to go into the annealer still glowing...Hope that helps.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2012-09-26, 7:47am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
There is an annealing schedule on my website that should be used when mixing LC with other glass. Also the bead needs to go into the annealer still glowing...Hope that helps.

yes thank you Paula..
I love that glass.. I have been pretty careful with it and have done several others now and all good.. I really don't think it was any fault but my own. lol.. It was just SO shiny..

:roll lol they need a smiley with a hypnotic glaze..

thanks
Old 2012-09-26, 2:50pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
That is good to know Paula. Here is the direct link to the schedule:

http://www.flamedame.com/index.php?m...Path=64_74_151

I garage and soak cooler than 980 and my annealing time is shorter. If I work for 6 hours it sounds like I have to anneal for 8 hours, or longer because I make big beads.

I've still had pretty good luck with Lauscha, I just don't ever encase it or encase with it. I'll continue to use it because some of the colors are just too pretty to pass on.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-09-27, 7:57am

I remember that Carol Anne (who worked at Lauscha) could mix all kinds of glass and also make very big beads. That is her annealing schedule. I saw many of the beads myself so it is possible! I also saw a series of test beads where she encased Moretti colors with Lauscha just to prove that it could be done. I have photos of some in my computer.
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2012-09-27, 1:07pm
Artistically Absorbed

I don't know alot about Lausha personally. However I have had Dichro sheet or strips do that. I had alot better luck with it after I made sure my beads are glowing when they go into the kiln. I think it could have something do with the fact that the sheet or strip is only partially fused underneath the encasement unless you sink some really good heat into it. It also will help with any inclusions, copper, CZ's, and a few fickle glasses. Also once I got 90coe dicro that was labeled for 104 from a supplier, of course there is no making that work if it is the case. Just my thoughts.
-Echo

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64