Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-08-20, 5:41am

Default etching question/problem....

Ok, I think I've read most of the precautionary posts about etching and hydroflouric acid, I am very cautious anyways. My husband is in the car business and said he has some wire wheel cleaner that would work. Looking at the ingredients list it states "hydroflouric acid solution, not more than 60% solution"....Holy Guacamole!
So I take a few "fuglies" some clear, some not.....string them on a non-reactive string and start the soak. After reading all the posts, I'm thinking it would only take minutes. The look I'm hoping for is that matte finish that is so pretty. I soak and soak and soak. One positive thing is that reddish,rusty reduction color on the blues dissolved, but I never got the matte finish on the transparents. I finally left some beads in for 24 hours. Yea, they were rough finish, in fact one was flaky.
My question is what did I do wrong, or is this solution "just not right" for what I'm trying to accomplish? Your input is greatly appreciated!

Kristin
Old 2014-08-20, 7:05am
A True Woofer

I think I'd use Etch All or some other product made specifically for etching glass.

But some glass doesn't etch well. Was the glass that didn't etch Effetre?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-08-20, 7:17am
Glass-aholic

My guy is a car guy too and we tried this as well. I used it mainly to dissolve the patina from the blues. It worked great. I never really used it to etch, although I do remember purposefully using it to partially etch a bead with clear so I did not have to mask the clear .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-08-20, 11:00am

Yes, mostly Effetre.
And yes, it dissolved the "patina" off the blues.
Old 2014-08-20, 11:53am
hyperT

Thin it down. A weaker solution of HF will etch. a stronger solution will actually polish glass. A lot of cut crystal is polished this way, the etching just peels off leaving a brilliant clear cut. Always add acid to water NEVER add water to acid. It can cause a violent reaction. Lead crystal is harder to deal with than soda lime. This it true even if I try to etch lead crystal with a laser.
Old 2014-08-25, 1:46pm
Hey ma I'm on South Park

Michaels sells a dip and etch usually in a locked case...
Just rinse the finished bead in a plastic container with baking soda and water mix...

Marta

Tags
etching