Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2008-06-08, 2:24pm

Default My $779.93 Studio

I love to do projects and see how cheap, but cute and functional, I can do them. My friends tell me all the time I should have my on t.v. show. I helped a friend roof her house for $500. We painted and glazed my kitchen cabinets for less than $50. Even painted my refridgerator.

So, trying to get out of the heat of the garage while torching I decided we needed to close in a portion of it. It seemed the most practical thing as I already have 2 walls a floor and a ceiling. My room is 9x13. PROPANE is now outside. I feel much safer.

These first sets of pix are the previous projects I mentioned ( cabinets, fridge) following that are pix of my new studio with A/C!!!
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell

Last edited by Donna T.; 2008-06-08 at 2:47pm. Reason: add size of room
Old 2008-06-08, 2:27pm

This is my garage before.
Attached Images

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2008-06-08, 2:31pm

Framing it out and building worktop
Attached Images

Old 2008-06-08, 2:36pm
Detail G-Mama!

Wow! I wish I could do that here!!!

Old 2008-06-08, 2:36pm

Door-FREE
Window- $10
Lighting -not installed yet-FREE
Worktop -2 cabinets-$50 each-tile $20-plywood-FREE
Custom mixed paint-looks alot like light turq-$25
Orange and purple paint found on reject table-$5 each
Vent hood-new-FREE
Propane outside in rubbermaid hose reels-$50
Attached Images

Last edited by Donna T.; 2008-06-08 at 5:12pm.
Old 2008-06-08, 2:46pm

Glass storage
Pink crates from Wal-mart- $5 each
PCP pipe -couldn't get the fence post around here- $30

All that's left to do is add plywood to the outside of the room. When it's not so hot we'll finish that. It's 100 today!!
Attached Images

Old 2008-06-08, 2:52pm
Detail G-Mama!

So did you drill a hole for the propane hose to go outside?

Old 2008-06-08, 3:02pm

You go girl! I'm so impressed...the fridge is awesome. I'm going to be working on a studio set up, and I'm going to try and follow your lead, thanks for the inspiration. Please share more updates.
Lori
Old 2008-06-08, 3:54pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Ricketts View Post
So did you drill a hole for the propane hose to go outside?

Yes, I was trying to make as few alterations to the outside wall as possible so as not to damage the resale value of the home. Our home is only 2 years old. It has hardy board on the outside which looks kind of like siding but is made of some kind of cement product. All my lay people were afraid to cut through it so I add a constuction friend come over and cut through the hardy board for the ventilation and he cut a small hole at the bottom, inserted a 1/4" pvp pipe through the hole for the propane hose. Now all my hoses are under the table instead behind me where I was rolling into them.

Old 2008-06-08, 4:09pm
Dichro Addict

I love your new little studio!!! What did you use to paint the sides of the fridge black? We just bought a new stainless fridge and the sides are grey!!! I hate it!! I want the sides to be black. Now I just have to convince my DH to let me paint the sides of our brand new $2,000 refridgerator black!!

Old 2008-06-08, 4:17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenorasdesigns View Post
I love your new little studio!!! What did you use to paint the sides of the fridge black? We just bought a new stainless fridge and the sides are grey!!! I hate it!! I want the sides to be black. Now I just have to convince my DH to let me paint the sides of our brand new $2,000 refridgerator black!!
Lowes has appliance spray paint. Comes in black, white, almond, and stainless steel. If I had it to do over (well I guess I could-but it would be a pita) I would paint the whole thing black. The stainless steel left a grainy texture. The black is perfect in looks and feel. Just like from the factory. Fridge costs about $40.
Bit of advice-take it outside and put all your food in friends fridge or coolers. I over heated mine which shut the compressor down. I thought I'd burnt it up but it works fine-though I did lose all the food in it. So my $40 job costs me about $200 or more in food!!

Old 2008-06-08, 4:45pm
Dichro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna T. View Post
Lowes has appliance spray paint. Comes in black, white, almond, and stainless steel. If I had it to do over (well I guess I could-but it would be a pita) I would paint the whole thing black. The stainless steel left a grainy texture. The black is perfect in looks and feel. Just like from the factory. Fridge costs about $40.
Bit of advice-take it outside and put all your food in friends fridge or coolers. I over heated mine which shut the compressor down. I thought I'd burnt it up but it works fine-though I did lose all the food in it. So my $40 job costs me about $200 or more in food!!
Thanks for the info!!! I might get brave and try it!!

Old 2008-06-08, 4:48pm

Very cool. Love the paint colors.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2008-06-08, 5:34pm

Looks great, Donna! You get this week's award for maximizing your dollars.

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2008-06-08, 8:24pm
Wonderland sounds fun...

*giggles* at your typo "pcp pipe" hehe...

how did you find a vent hood for free?
... i've been doin a lotta searchin...

Kudos to you! It's a lovely studio!! Love the bright colors!

*+.+*
C L E A R A N C E Sale in my Etsy *+.+*
Old 2008-06-09, 6:00am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBeth View Post
*giggles* at your typo "pcp pipe" hehe...

how did you find a vent hood for free?
... i've been doin a lotta searchin...

Kudos to you! It's a lovely studio!! Love the bright colors!
OOPS! Is there even a such thing as a 'pcp pipe'? I hope not!

The vent hood-I have a friend who owns a lighting business and she gave me the hood as it had a scratch on and she couldn't sell it. It's probably not the ideal solution to ventalation but I tested it and it's pulling up the smoke which is more than I had before.

Old 2008-06-09, 1:40pm

That is cool way to go. We don't have a garage. Wish we did. Great job.

Rose Leslie
Old 2008-06-21, 10:01am
ninja thread killer

Great idea having a separate outside entrance! I never thought of doing that - very cool!
Old 2008-07-04, 1:42pm

I love your studio!! I didnt know you could get appliance paint at home depot! We have a black fridge my kids hung there art work up with scotch tape I scrubbed it off it a abrasive sponge and it dulled the paint and even rubbed off the paint in one spot to silver.. I will be for sure checking out this paint! thanks for sharing

Jenn~