Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-04-08, 8:51pm

Default ivory...again

How do people get the ivory to curdle up and web next to another color? Is this the curdled ivory? Does it depend on the color it's next to? I usually see this when it's next to a silver color. It almost looks like a reaction between the two.
Also, is there a secret to preventing your ivory from turning brown when you use silver glass with it? This always happens when I reduce it.
Thanks,
Patti

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-04-08, 9:24pm

If you heat the ivory long and hot it will eventually curdle... use the effetre glass for a less creamy and more curdled effect. Dark ivory does this more readily (and I believe the curdled ivory is just a version of dark ivory and nothing more).

The silver glasses react with the ivory - just as silver leaf does, it's one of the cool reactions that I love!

The only way I can think of preventing it would be to encase the silver glass in clear (but then you couldn't reduce it - maybe reduce it before encasing?) and use it in the encased form.

Oh and another thought ... if you use Opal Yellow you shouldn't get any browning (although I haven't tried it) but Opal Yellow is know as non reactive so may not go brown next to the silver glass and you would still be able to reduce it. No curdling with Opal Yellow though!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-04-09, 11:26am
OY and Psyche Junkie

Sadie is right about opal yellow not turning brown when you use silver glass. I use opal yellow a lot with psyche and other silver glass and it always turns out great! My avatar bead is opal yellow and psyche.

Cheers
Kathy

Minor with one concentrator

Old 2009-04-10, 1:59am

It looks like your avatar is encased with psyche...you guys know I was talking about when they are next to each other, right? Both exposed. It's a pretty bead in your avatar by the way.
I do like the idea of using clear maybe to encase first, I don't know, I'll have to play around more.
Thanks a lot guys!
-Patti

Old 2009-04-13, 3:40pm
OY and Psyche Junkie

Patti, my bead is not encased. I placed large dots of psyche on the bead and then did a gravity swirl. I think the way it's photgraphed it kind of looks encased. And thank you for the compliment! Also, I believe the curdled ivory (dark ivory) will do its curdling thing no matter what color is next to it. The more you heat dark ivory, the more curdling you get.

Cheers
Kathy

Minor with one concentrator

Old 2009-04-14, 8:02pm

Ooooohhh, ok...thanks!