LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Old 2013-10-05, 3:46pm

Sounds reasonable to me.
Old 2013-10-05, 7:09pm
Flamewoman

That certainly doesn't sound like too much Heather, if anything, too low. I would think anyone willing to pay 36 would not even notice if they paid 39.
What about putting a glass bail on them to save $$ I am getting so I hate silver, it is too costly these days, which makes me mad, and then if you take it to a show that has moisture in the air, ( ie; any outdoors show) the silver tarnishes and then you have to clean it. I used to do silver rings on some pendants but found that the glass bail ones sold better overall. Thru the years I have gotten very good at bails, but they can be a challenge. I use either clear or jet black for bails, though recently I used purple rain for a bail and it was really nice, will do again. What I do when I am thinking of raising a price on something, I price a couple that I particularly like higher than the others in a group, say of jelllyfish pendants. If someone looks at jellyfish and buys it without considering the lesser priced ones, I tend to move them all up. Then there is the area where you are selling. Do the people going to your show have good employment posibilities? If so you can charge more. I live in a poorer area, so my prices are low. I charge 45 for most of my jellies and sell for same price to galleries that triple the price and sell them. So sometimes what the market will bear dictates the price. also be sure to price the ones you like the best higher.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-10-05, 8:37pm

I have done glass bails too. The last picture has a glass loop on them for hanging. I find the sterling silver works better with my customers. They put them on sterling chains too. I do about 20% with glass bails.

I found this picture of last years booth for my thanksgiving weekend show. This is my 8th year doing this 3 day show.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...&postcount=507

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2013-10-09, 3:17am

Kevin of meltinglass.co.uk very kindly sent me some Chinese white to try out - I love it! No bubbling whatsoever and it stayed nice and dense even when very thin. Easy to pull good long stringers too.

Jelly 14 has Chinese white tentacles, and I had a go at Mary's little twistie wrap under the cap (cap should probably have been bigger, though - I wasn't sure how far down it would cover them). The cap is Momka almond nugget - really like the way it came out.

Jelly 15. I found an incompatibility here: the little tentacles are Chinese white dots poked down into Momka lustrous blue dots, and they have checked. (I'm sure that'll get old fast, but right now it is *fascinating* to see such tiny localised cracking! Don't get that in soft glass). I did search to see whether there was anything about lustrous blue not being suitable for implosions but didn't find it, so am assuming it is the white's fault. The longer tentacles are the other way around and seem to be fine - the blue only really shows through at the ends, though. I forgot which dot colour would end up inside the other - I had meant them to be like the little tentacles until I realised I'd done them the wrong way round. Just as well, really!

The cap was Momka silver iris on top with a wrap of Caribbean coral around the bottom. The silver iris was bubbly and stayed very transparent - don't think this was the best way of using it!

The backing is Momka green envy, which looks greener if you look at the back, but bluer when you look at it through the clear. I like it, it's a very good watery colour.

These are tiny mushroom-style jellies with tentacle cane that has layers of Chinese white and Alaska night. The Alaska night shows up better in the front one, where it has gone near black. Caps are Caribbean coral.

(This lot have only been through a soft glass annealing cycle thus far. I don't think I'll bother annealing the cracked one in case it gets worse, but will post again if any of the others strike differently).

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-10-09, 4:58am

Really nice jellies Heather.... ( feel like I am talking to myself.. from one Heather to another)

As for the chinese white, I alway mix it up before I use it. I take two rods and mix them and pull it our into thinner stringers. This could be your problem with the cracking but my guess is it is the blue. Are you sure it is momka? That color is usually very good. I use it all the time. I have 3 batches of it. I keep my batches separate in case. (After problems with Lauscha clear years ago when I dumped 5 pounds of bad stuff into over 5 pounds of good stuff....)

Back to the blue, are you sure it is even boro? That looks more like a soft glass blue rod. I suggest you test it with some clear boro and do a stringer test. See if it is a bad batch of the momka but momka is usually fantastic glass. I have gotten some real bubbly stuff but not compatibility issues.

Now the silver Iris, I usually wait for it to cool a little and then flash to build up haze of silver on the mantle before I cap with clear. This helps the jelly tops to glow if you bring the silver to the surface.

Can't wait to see more of your jellies and everyone elses... hope I am not a thread killer...

Last edited by Dasi; 2013-10-09 at 5:02am.
Old 2013-10-09, 5:37am

Heheh, yes! It's why I've been saying Dasi

It's definitely Momka - I have a labelled short rod pack of all the solid colours that I am working through. I did pull the Chinese white into stringers, same one for both sets of tentacles. I think the two colours just didn't get along. I'll be doing something with the lustrous blue on its own later.

If the blue had been somehow mislabeled (and I think the sample packs come direct from Momka, not being made up by the suppliers?), I'd expect it to have cracked at the ends of the long tentacles and it hasn't.

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-10-09, 7:03am
Marble Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalorlo View Post
Wow! That's a *lot* of jellyfish!
No doubt! Love 'em.

-BEP
Old 2013-10-09, 7:06am
Marble Lover

Quote:
Jelly 15. I found an incompatibility here: the little tentacles are Chinese white dots poked down into Momka lustrous blue dots, and they have checked.
They look great. I've only made one thing out of Boro so far, a horribly misshapen marble, and it has some green in it that checked, too. At least on your Jelly, it looks pretty cool.

-BEP
Old 2013-10-09, 7:40am

Quote:
Heheh, yes! It's why I've been saying Dasi

It's definitely Momka - I have a labelled short rod pack of all the solid colours that I am working through. I did pull the Chinese white into stringers, same one for both sets of tentacles. I think the two colours just didn't get along. I'll be doing something with the lustrous blue on its own later.

If the blue had been somehow mislabeled (and I think the sample packs come direct from Momka, not being made up by the suppliers?), I'd expect it to have cracked at the ends of the long tentacles and it hasn't.
Are you mixing the white before you pull into stringers? It really needs mixing!!! Don't just pull stringers for it. It will get nice and creamy if you mix it well. This makes a difference when you use the white. The outside of the rods is crusty since it is processed differently. I don't understand it to explain but the white needs special prep to work well. Then it is a fantastic white.

Old 2013-10-09, 7:55am

It seems creamy enough - all the white in both jellyfish is from the same stringers. Since it only happened on those specific dots, I do think the encasing of the white with the blue was the problem.

ETA: If I have a free evening before the weekend I could try some little dot implosions to test them.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Kalorlo; 2013-10-09 at 8:02am.
Old 2013-10-09, 10:33am

Quote:
It seems creamy enough - all the white in both jellyfish is from the same stringers. Since it only happened on those specific dots, I do think the encasing of the white with the blue was the problem.

ETA: If I have a free evening before the weekend I could try some little dot implosions to test them.

You are correct. That is not the problem that caused the cracks.

BUT that white still needs mixing. It was explained to me by many boro artists, including John Kobuki that the Chinese white rods are made by some sort of compression method not a pulled method and therefore needs to be mixed. If you mix it you will notice a difference in the way it handles before and after a mixing. It is just a tip I was trying to pass on to help you.

Old 2013-10-09, 10:53am

Aha, I thought that was just the borostix white - the little square ones? I know those have to be mixed because they aren't pulled. The Chinese white is normal rods.

(I *have* seen people mention mixing Chinese white before, but not that it was necessary to do so in the same way. I think the context was shocky rods).

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Kalorlo; 2013-10-09 at 10:57am.
Old 2013-10-09, 7:31pm

Hey Heather - I for one appreciate that tip and will be anxious to see the difference. Always loved Chinese white as is, but never thought, or heard that mixing would improve it even more. Thanks for posting.
Old 2013-10-10, 1:11am

Sorry, I should have said thank you for the tips! I will try the silver iris again sometime.

I was confused because I thought you were diagnosing the checking as being because I hadn't mixed the white, not that that was a separate point.

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-10-17, 4:48am

Jelly 16. Momka stormy weather for the cap and small tentacles, Chinese white for the long ones. Backed in lustrous blue, which has a nice pearly look like this and behaves on the surface. I stretched this one out a bit too much, I think, and added the second tentacles too late, so the inner ones nearly terminate partway up. I think maybe I should intersperse the white tentacles with other ones, because the two look too separate.

I really like the stormy weather for caps - I flame struck it just enough so it went dark on all these before adding the clear.

A pair of mushroom-style jellies. I'm not getting these the shape I want them yet. I've done better caps before, but can't quite remember what the difference was in how I did it. I'm trying to do a matching pair for earrings, but can't make two the same size! So mainly I am showing these for the colour of the stormy weather in the caps.

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-10-17, 6:51am
Flamewoman

This is how I mix the chinese white:
I start with 2 sticks of the chinese white
hold one in each hand
put ends in flame, touch together and mix, knead , mix and mix
be careful not to incorporate air while you do this.
You will be able to see when it is mixed.
Then pull into a stringer and cool a bit
nip off the 2 original sticks of CW.
I never ever use it without doing this first.
BTW nice jellies Heather, coming along nicely.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-10-22, 6:02am

I had a go at a Halloween jellyfish, but my tentacles thinned out. This is Momka sunset orange, black rose, with pistachio (M) backing. (Does the M signify anything, by the way?) The orange works great in the cap, not so much in the small dots and the black rose is very transparent. So I guess for the next try I need something to poke inside those dots to make them more opaque. I've also got lemon yellow, sunshine yellow and pumpkin - maybe pumpkin would help? Or a red. Rust is a similar kind of shade, but I don't want them to go pink. I have obsidian as well, to maybe try with the black.

For the backing I'd tried using the black rose to make seaweed shapes before putting on the pistachio - didn't work so well, and the front lens makes some of it not visible. I might try again with very fine white stringer instead, and push it in from behind with a razor to give it some dimension.

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-10-22, 7:25am
Flamewoman

Heather that cap is beautiful on that orange jelly. Try it next with teeny tiny dots of carmel for tentacles, I think it would be beautiful. Do you have any cobalt frit? that would be easy for the backing on your pendants. I used to do cobalt and any kind of sparklie glass frit and then use a 4mm stringer of clear to twist little spots on the backing before melting it smooth to give it a "ocean current" look. These days I find that no backing sells better for me.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-10-22, 7:55am

I don't have any cobalt frit, though I could make some. (I have clear frit and exotic grapefruit frit, that's all).

I want to keep the backing a bright green for the Halloween ones. I really liked the blue exotic twistie background I had a while back - just now I am using the background so I test more of my Momka colours per jelly, which is why I'm doing solid ones. Once I've finished that, I will go back to ones I like best

Caramel's a good idea. I wonder if orange over/next to caramel would work, or do you reckon it would react badly because of the silver? (My caramel one from before isn't quite as bright as I want this). If it was soft glass I'd expect it to go dark. Though that might be a good thing if it was dense!

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-10-29, 5:49am

Halloween jelly take 2. I used a whole load of things in the tentacles this time. I used obsidian as the black, which works much better. You can see it is blue-based, but it implodes well enough in tiny dots. I put Momka pumpkin right next to the sunset orange to make larger dots. The pumpkin has pretty much the same saturation as the sunset orange (but yellower), so on its own it is just as thin. I used NS caramel too - that's what is giving the light blue ghostly envelopes. You can see a couple of tentacles are orange and yellow with transparent brownish tips: for those I'd poked a dot of caramel inside them, so was right about the reaction. It works with the colours here, though.

The cap is sunset orange again, with a thin wrap of obsidian and some pumpkin dots around the rim.

For the backing, I used obsidian and did push it in with a razor. It does give it more dimensionality, though on the whole I think it would have looked better if the tentacles were oranger, as they'd have stood out more in front of it. The backing green is Momka guacamole this time. It's more of a lime green than the pistachio (it's also quite bubbly).

I'm not ignoring you about the Chinese white - I had a short thick rod sample, so have pulled it out into a long thinner rod so I can cut it in half and do some mixing next time. (My boro playtime is limited!)

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-10-29, 6:44am
Marble Lover

The orange is delightful. I have to get some.

I really like that stormy weather for the cap, too.

-BEP
Old 2013-10-29, 5:10pm

Hi,

I'm new here and new to flameworking... I started 2 months ago, taking a boro class once/week, and, like most of you, I am already addicted and am constantly trying to convince my significant other to let me turn half of the garage in a glass studio.

Anyway, I've been so hungry to learn more than what the class had to offer, and I'd be in there during open studio every week to practice. I really wanted to learn how to do jellyfish, and this thread pointed me to Mary Lockwood's tutorial.
Here's my first jellyfish following her tutorial. Nowhere near as impressive as the other ones posted on this thread, but given my 2 month limited experience, I'm happy with it
Now I can also build on the process I used to create this one based on what I've read here, so thank you all!
Old 2013-10-29, 7:41pm
Evil Glass Enabler

Nice work! Keep it up! Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtifexVitri View Post
Hi,

I'm new here and new to flameworking... I started 2 months ago, taking a boro class once/week, and, like most of you, I am already addicted and am constantly trying to convince my significant other to let me turn half of the garage in a glass studio.

Anyway, I've been so hungry to learn more than what the class had to offer, and I'd be in there during open studio every week to practice. I really wanted to learn how to do jellyfish, and this thread pointed me to Mary Lockwood's tutorial.
Here's my first jellyfish following her tutorial. Nowhere near as impressive as the other ones posted on this thread, but given my 2 month limited experience, I'm happy with it
Now I can also build on the process I used to create this one based on what I've read here, so thank you all!

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2013-10-30, 9:46am
specializing in obnoxious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtifexVitri View Post
Hi,

I would have been ecstatic to find that in my kiln after only 2 months of lampworking. Great job.

__Go Big, or Go Home!__

Old 2013-10-31, 8:41am

Looking good!

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-11-08, 4:21pm
Bernhard Riegler

I just had to try that too . . .

Bernhard Riegler - Bay of Islands - New Zealand

Last edited by Onekura; 2013-12-13 at 6:47pm.
Old 2013-11-08, 6:12pm

What were your colors Bernhard?
Old 2013-11-08, 9:07pm
Bernhard Riegler

the tentacles are cobalt over white pulled into a stringer and the cap is plain old double amber purple

Bernhard Riegler - Bay of Islands - New Zealand

Old 2013-11-09, 11:02am
Phragile Glasswerks

I had been sick for awhile so the time I wasn't on the torch really put me in a slump . So Ive been taking it slow so here's a lil jelly from the other night.

Old 2013-11-12, 12:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onekura View Post
the tentacles are cobalt over white pulled into a stringer and the cap is plain old double amber purple
Thanks Bernhard.