LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2009-08-10, 6:34pm

Default Should I buy a New Propane Tank?

I have a used propane tank off our old gas grill, about 10 or so years old that my husband says use it for my propane tank...but I was wondering if i should buy a new one for safety sake? I understand that the newer ones have some type of overfill device or something. Is that necessary? I'll do whatever needs to be done to be safe as possible. Please advise.
Michele

An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one. ~Charles Horton Cooley
Old 2009-08-10, 7:02pm
birdergirl ~o~

Yes
IMHO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2009-08-10, 7:08pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyJo1969 View Post
I have a used propane tank off our old gas grill, about 10 or so years old that my husband says use it for my propane tank...but I was wondering if i should buy a new one for safety sake? I understand that the newer ones have some type of overfill device or something. Is that necessary? I'll do whatever needs to be done to be safe as possible. Please advise.
Michele
A propane tank is a propane tank......... If it has OPD (sort of triangle shaped valve) it is safe...... BY law a non-OPD valve tank can not be filled.

Only concern is, a propane tank has a manufacture date on it, and once tank reaches 12 years old it can not be refilled unless it undergoes a inspection. Once inspected and recertified (new date) if is good for 12 more years......

Easy way to deal with a tank about to become out of date is to take it to a exchange place and let propane supply company deal with tank certification....

Tank data, name of manufacturer, date manufactured (or recertification date), and tank tare weight can be found on tank safety collar...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2009-08-10, 7:21pm

Ok, I'll check the valve. If I have to purchase one any suggestions as to where? I like ordering online. What's a "fair" price for a 20lb tank?
thanks

Old 2009-08-10, 8:03pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Typically they are in about the $30 -35 range... On sale maybe as low as $25...

But I'll bet you can buy local cheaper than buying online and paying shipping...

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2009-08-10 at 8:07pm.
Old 2009-08-10, 8:35pm
Happiness is....

I found one on a curb waiting for the garbage man, put it in the back of the truch, exchanged it for a filled one for 20.00...easy peasy....I have 3 tanks though, so I don't run out of of propane...

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons
Old 2009-08-10, 11:42pm

Take the old tank to Lowes or a home improvement store and exchange it for a new, filled one. It cost about $18 - $20. They are more than happy to take the old ones out of circulation.

Either that or take it to where you get your oxygen tank refilled and give it to them. They know how to recycle it.

Old 2009-08-11, 1:51am
BeadsonCypress

What they said.... I have taken a couple of nasty ones and they just switch them out and give me nice clean new ones every time....

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2009-08-11, 4:11am
Unmedicated since '62

i use swap and go too - and it has a dated tag on it to say its been inspected

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2009-08-11, 4:17am

I took two BBQ style tanks that we had on old heaters in the rabbit barns when I was in school. They had been used to hold open a door and were rusty and nasty from setting out for close to 20 years. Took them into Lowes expecting to get laughed at for trying to exchange them. I had no problems, they were happy to exchange them for nice shiny new full tanks for $16.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2009-08-11, 4:21am

PS, I have seen some places that charge a varrying scale depending on what you are doing. They go something like this:

$18 for a standard exchange
$28 to exchange exchange an old non-OPD tank
$48 to purchase a new full tank

Remember that if you order online, you will get an empty tank because it is illegal to ship them full. Tou will then have to take your new tank and exchange it for a full one or get it filled at an RV place etc. It is easier just to get the tank locally.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2009-08-16, 4:23pm

Great, thanks Paul.

Old 2009-08-16, 8:02pm

I saw them last week at Costco, with a gauge on it too! I'm very new, and looking into a propane tank too, since I don't have a tank at all. Would any gauge do for lampworking? I'm sure they were thinking BBQ...
Old 2009-08-17, 3:41am
BeadsonCypress

I log a very nice back-up tank at a garage sale this past weekend for $1 (looks like it was used maybe once!).....I will get a refill or trade in this week so I don't run out or so I can set up my second torch! I don't have a guage on mine, but that would be nice too!

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2009-08-17, 3:47am

We have three BBQ tanks so that we can rotate a new tank in when needed. When we get the new sudio finished for the move, I will probably take my aunt up on her offer of the propane tank from her old rental trailer that she got rid of last month. That would give fuel for a year and at a much cheaper fill price.

Most regulators will have a tank pressure guage on them which will give you a good idea of how much you have in the tank.

Old 2009-08-17, 7:32am
Gentleman of Leisure

Actually a tank pressure gauge is almost useless till the very end....

Since the physical properties of propane is a gas under pressure and it maintains pressure because there is liquid to boil off into vapor the tank pressure will remain pretty constant till the very end.... It will just confirm what you already know, you are out of gas.....

More accurate ways to tell how much fuel in tank is by weight... Propane weight about 4.25 pounds per gallon and a tank with a OPD valve holds 4.8 gallons, knowing that and the tank weight generally about 20 pounds (Tare weigh of tank found on tank safety collar) you can determine how much fuel is in tank.... Full tank weight in about 38-39 pounds, empty tank about 20 pounds.... You will have to determine your tanks weight and do a little math.... Simple bathroom scales will help you out here....

My Weber gas grill actually had scales built into propane tank hanger to indicate amount of fuel in tank...

Tank weighting when just filled or exchanged will also indicate if you have a "short fill" ... Since tanks are exchanged these days its assumed that you are getting a full tank for the set price you pay... Lately propane industry is "short filling" tank so pricing of exchange tanks stays the same, even though the wholesale prices has gone up the "industry" can still maintain its profit margin....

Other method is hot water.... Simply drizzle a pan of hot water down side of tank, metal in tank will absorb some heat from hot water.... Slide your hand down side of tank when finished with hot water, the "line" on the tank where the temperature change occurs (warm to cold) is level of liquid fuel in tank.... The are magnetic, liquid crystal tank fuel level indicators available that "stick on" that operate in same way (temperature sensitive) to indicate level of liquid in tank....

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2009-08-17 at 7:38am.
Old 2009-08-19, 12:49pm
honorary bead lady

Take the tank to your local propane dealer/gas station if they will not fill it take it to an exchange, watch the pricing Do not exchange it at the gas station $$$$$