TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: What do you use mainly for your dot work?
Regular purchased stringer (3mm) 41 12.58%
I make my own stringer 225 69.02%
i dont use stringer, i use a regular thick rod 108 33.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 326. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-11-06, 7:35am

Default stringer/full rod for placing dots???

When you place dots on your bead do you use:
a purchased regular stringer or
you make your own stringer or
do you use a full normal rod?

WEBSITE--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BLOG--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Angie x
Old 2009-11-06, 7:38am
I fart diamonds

I use a full rod.

Old 2009-11-06, 7:54am

I make dots using all of these ways. Although I find using stringers easier. Most of the time I make my own.

~
~
~

Old 2009-11-06, 8:00am
Dichro Addict

All of the above!

Old 2009-11-06, 8:49am
Creatrixie

Depends upon the size of the dot needed, but I'm loving pulling my own stringers as needed. I usually do it at the beginning of my session.

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2009-11-06, 9:15am
Tweedle Dumb

I don't use stringer often enough to purchase it. So when I see the need for it I just pull it my self. Most times I just use a regular rod for dots. I don't like how fast stringer melts.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2009-11-06, 10:47am

I use a stringer I pull if I have planned in advance.

I grab a full rod if I have a dot impulse and no pulled stringer
Old 2009-11-06, 11:15am

Depends how much room I have to work with. My favorite is a thick stringer, though, or a skinny rod
Old 2009-11-06, 6:35pm
Puddy Cat Lover

I do all three. It just depends on how big I want the dots. Small dots with stringers I make. Medium dots with the ones I make or the ones I buy, and Big dots with rall three.

J.

Old 2009-11-06, 8:56pm

I use a rod for dots ... but swirly squirrely lines need a stringer

Old 2009-11-06, 9:14pm
Lampworkaholic!

Usually stringer that I pull, but I like using thin rods of clear to make dots over melted-in dots.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-11-07, 12:50am
In search of her path....

depends what im doing....id say 80% of the time I use a full rod 10% 3mm 10% stringer I pulled myself thats pretty small and or layered

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2009-11-07, 10:18am

All of the above.
Old 2009-11-07, 10:34am

All 3

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-11-08, 12:40am
More ideas than talent

All of the above.

Old 2009-11-08, 9:56am
Gimme that silver glass!

Actually, all 3 of them . I couldn't vote.

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2009-11-08, 12:38pm
Ad astra per aspera

I used to use only full rods. Since I took Melanie Moertel's class, though, I'm FINALLY able to place tiny stringer dots with much better control.

Old 2009-11-08, 8:33pm
Just Me!

All three ways.
Every bead requires a different touch........Val
Old 2009-11-09, 4:39am
organically speaking

I pull my own stringer so I can control the size I need. But I usually use a full rod, skinniest ones work best for me.

Old 2009-11-09, 5:05am

All three for me too. I make the first with a full rod. The second layer with a full rod that I roll the tip down like a pencil. Third with a stringer I've pulled. If I need a forth I pull an emergency (fine) stringer off the end of my mandrel.
Joan
Old 2009-11-10, 10:09am
Made in the Shade

all of the above

Old 2009-11-10, 1:23pm
Elphaba Lives !!

Yep me too, all the above.

Old 2009-12-11, 9:23am
Sorry for party rockin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenorasdesigns View Post
All of the above!

Me too . . . I regularly use all three.

Old 2009-12-18, 2:28am
offically down under

I ticked off that I pull my own stringer but I will use a rod if I want bigger dots. I use my shorts to pull stringers since I'm a girl on a budget. I just punty up the short to a new rod and pull the stringers until I reach the new rod. That way, I have my stringers I need and I don't have the explodo-pop when I hit the join.

Old 2009-12-22, 5:53am
Jamaican Me Crazy

full rods stringers melt too fast for me to get any control
Old 2009-12-22, 8:05am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Actually, I do all three. I pull my own for really fine work. I use fat rods for more quick stuff. I use commercially made stringer for production work to help save my hands. Mostly though, I use the fat rods and save that much time.
Old 2009-12-27, 12:24pm
Isinglass Design

Whatever I happen to have on hand, which is most often a full rod. But sometimes I use a stringer. I got some stringers when I first started lampworking, hated them, and didn't pick up a stringer again for about five years!
I'm so bad about not pre-planning. Have you tried to make a stringer when you were already halfway done with your bead? Not cool!!!!

Laurie
Old 2009-12-30, 6:31am
Calendar Girl

I use my own pulled stringer and full rod. When I'm in a pinch (forgot to pull stringer) and want to place a dot in a tiny area, I pull emergency stringer from the full rod. (Thanks, Jeri Warhaftig) You just tip your pea sized gather and touch it to the end of the mandrel a decent distance from your bead, and do a pull. Then you break it off and get an inch or so of stringer to work with.

Old 2009-12-30, 6:57pm

I do all three, just depends on what I have available at the time I need it. most of the time it is a full rod.
Sandra

face="Comic Sans MS">http://www.adornedintreasure.etsy.com
Old 2010-11-27, 6:29pm

mostly full rods no matter what size dot i want but I also occasionally pull my own or use commercial stringers.