No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-06-06, 5:39pm
Formerly FishBulb

Default Help - Copper Green schmutz

I used Moretti Copper Green with Lauscha Cocoa yesterday, along with Ivory and Turquoise, and after the beads came out of the kiln the green looks gray, with the odd green dot in areas where the glass may have been a bit thicker. I've included a pic of the beads with the CG on them and the CG spacers; I also included a bead with turquoise and a turquoise spacer next to them so you can see how blah the green looks.

Is there anything that will remove this?

I know there are recommendations for removing the red deposits from turquoise -- is there anything that can be done about this Copper Green?

I plan on etching them, if that helps.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-06-06, 5:42pm
offically down under

I was having the same problem with copper green. Ended up I had a tiny bit of metal in my kiln and it was causing the unwanted reduction. I vacuumed out my kiln and the problem seemed to go away. I hope this helps.

Old 2010-06-06, 5:46pm
FatCat Mama

A soak in toilet bowl cleaner will get rid of the grey stuff quite nicely.

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2010-06-06, 6:00pm

Etching works beautifully, too.

Here's etched and not...
Attached Images

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2010-06-06, 6:05pm
Certified Thread Killer

Kiln reduction…GAH!

And your turquoise came out okay & looking fine with no reduction whatsoever on it?

Weird.

I've seen copper green referred to as "dirty copper green" if it isn't "red copper green". I though it ALWAYS reduced in the kiln. Hmmmm…

I'll have to roll a spacer or two and throw in in tonight's batch anneal to see if it goes schmutzy, because I have been getting that with my turquoise and, of course, ALL my Moretti/Effetre violets. They looked fine before going in.

There will be no metal and/or silver glass in the kiln this time. I will vacuum first too.
Old 2010-06-06, 6:18pm
Disconnected

Toilet bowl cleaner! 10 minutes is enough. Can be any brand, apparently
I like my copper green clean, too ; )

Old 2010-06-06, 6:18pm

If you have some - soak the beads in Coke. The REAL Coke - not diet. Works like a charm and leaves the bead (except for the Copper Green) shiny. The Copper Green might not be as glossy as the rest of the bead. Length of time to soak depends on how thick the reduction is.

Works for Turquoise, too.
Old 2010-06-06, 6:21pm
Formerly FishBulb

Teri -- I hate to sound obtuse, but what sort of toilet bowl cleaner? I ask because I just use the same old bleach cleaner that I use on the rest of the bathroom, not a specific bowl cleaner. You mean the stuff that you squirt under the rim?

Nikki -- Wow! So the etched piece looked like the unetched piece before etching? These beads will be etched, so maybe I'll not feel too worried yet.

Rachelle and Tammy -- yes, nothing in my kiln ever comes out as a surprise. No random reduction or anything. That's why this annoys me.

Old 2010-06-06, 6:21pm
Formerly FishBulb

Flonche and Poet -- you posted while I was posting! Thank you for the tips!

Old 2010-06-06, 6:27pm

LOL!!! No worries!!
Old 2010-06-06, 6:48pm
Disconnected

Angie, I use Lysol, the Power stuff (dark blue bottle with a curved neck) but other people use other brands, too; I remember Trey mentioned Snobol (sp?) or The Works.
Poet, I used Coke (the real stuff) for a long time but it was taking several hours, whereas the toilet cleaner takes like 15 minutes and it's cheaper, too.

Nikki, that picture is hilarious, I love it!

Old 2010-06-06, 7:03pm
Formerly FishBulb

Flonche, thank you! I'll pick up the Lysol with the curved neck (I know which one it is) for the beads I want to leave un-etched.

Old 2010-06-06, 7:09pm
Formerly FishBulb

I also want to compliment Nikki on a hilarious pair of beads!

Old 2010-06-06, 7:10pm

Yup, I used the same batch of Copper Green for both of them. Turquoise does it sometimes, too, but copper green LOVES turning silver - especially on a Hot Head. The toilet bowl cleaner will remove the silvery stuff, too, and leave it shinier. (Sometimes it looks less shiny than others.)

Glad we had an easy answer for you.

Thanks for the compliments on my fun fellows - I was trying to make test dinosaur beads of loads of colors, but I lost interest along the way - they're in my Facebook page if you want to see more of them.

~:
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2010-06-06, 9:06pm
Disconnected

I love the Testosaurus gallery!! That's so neat!

Hey, while we're on Copper Green, anybody see any difference with the new Mint Green 217? Me not, but you?

Old 2010-06-06, 9:17pm
Formerly FishBulb

Meh, so I test-etched one of the spacers and it did turn out nicely (after I gave it a finishing scrub with dish soap and warm water) and I decided to do the rest. The gray crud did come off but it seems the copper green turned red in some spots, and those are still there. I work with an oxidizing flame so I can't figure it out.

I'd add a pic but my light source is on the other side of the planet right now (the sun!). I'm sure you all know what I mean by the reddish colour. I guess it looks alright with these beads.

Flonche, I haven't seen Mint Green. Is it Moretti?

Old 2010-06-06, 9:22pm
Formerly FishBulb

Ha! Nikki, I looked at all your dinosaurs (Testasauruses?) and I love them! What a great way to test new and odd colours!

Old 2010-06-07, 4:16am
state-eternal change

The mint green is nice.. It reduces as well, but I've used some 96 frit blends with it and it doesn't reduce at all with them, except a tiny bit around the mandrel holes. The rods I got were a nice thickness too.

Old 2010-06-07, 7:02am
Disconnected

Mint Green came up in March, I think, together with Neptune (an opaque teal that does Copper Green things but even worse) and a bunch of zucchinis.
http://frantznewsletter.com/HOT_ITEMS.htm#8EFF
Yes, Jody, the batch came in smaller thickness rods than my latest Copper Green, which was nice indeed.

Angie, I haven't had any copper based color turn red on me since my Hot Head days, and I can't remember what takes care of it. Try and make more of them is all I can say...

Old 2010-06-07, 7:49am

I remember reading that some people found the newer batches of copper green were turning red somewhat like the red copper green. I've only used older batches or the conicals and haven't had any issues with it turning red, but I get the reduction all the time since my O2 concentrators are getting so old . Sometimes its a good thing and sometimes not, so I've used the soda soaking method (pepsi works for me too) but it does take quite awhile. The toilet bowl cleaner would be better.

Tina
Old 2010-06-07, 1:34pm
Certified Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poet? View Post
If you have some - soak the beads in Coke. The REAL Coke - not diet. Works like a charm and leaves the bead (except for the Copper Green) shiny. The Copper Green might not be as glossy as the rest of the bead. Length of time to soak depends on how thick the reduction is.

Works for Turquoise, too.
I will say it right now: I don't care how tasty it is, Diet Dr. Pepper does NOT work for this. (just sayin')
Old 2010-06-07, 1:51pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flonche View Post
Neptune (an opaque teal that does Copper Green things but even worse)
I just bought a quarter pound of this 'cause I thought it looked cool...

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2010-06-07, 2:36pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flonche View Post
Neptune (an opaque teal that does Copper Green things but even worse)
Yes - it does it A LOT worse - but it is a beautiful color after you etch it!! Teal. Yummmmmmmmmmm.
Old 2010-06-07, 2:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC Beads View Post
Etching works beautifully, too.

Here's etched and not...
I absolutely love your quirky picture! The etched 'saurus is very cool looking.

Nancy

#R-85
Old 2010-06-07, 4:23pm
Disconnected

This is the beautiful temperamental Neptune, masked with clear (half encased and a scroll) with the rest of the surface untouched

Old 2010-06-07, 4:31pm
geekitude on two wheels

if I want to get the scuz off fast, like without soaking, i use a qtip dipped in etching fluid or cream and use it to rub the scuzzy bits off then rinse it under water. It comes off right away, and usually the etchant hasn't been in contact with the glass long enough to affect the shine much.
Old 2010-06-07, 4:44pm
one day at a time

haven't read any of the other posts because i have to run, but toilet bowl cleaner 2 parts to 1 part water solution for 10-15 minutes. if you want to etch, the etch will remove it all as well as give you the nice soft etched finish that is so lovely in that color.
Old 2010-06-07, 10:50pm
Otter

I do what Jen does with the qtip and etch solution works great and just scrub and rinse works great.

Murrini for Sale

#R124
Old 2010-06-08, 8:42pm
Certified Thread Killer

Default Schmutz Report

Well I did a batch anneal last night. I fully intended to try the copper green but ran out of oxygen…again…

I vacuumed the kiln very well, lined up all the beadies inside in my best OCD fashion, crossed my fingers, hit "start", and went to bed.

None of my previous trouble-colors, violets, turquoise, etc., reduced this time…makes me wonder if copper green would have gone all "schmutzy" too.

All my colors came out very nice and reduction-free. One problem I DID notice, though, was orangey rust marks at the bead holes on some of the turquoise, violet, white, and almost all of my EDP and opal yellow.

What did I have to lose? Toilet bowl cleaner trick! A Lime-a-Way soak did the job (the only bowl cleaner I had).

Another hint, while on the subject, when my violets reduced I had them on a string and dipped them in Tarn-X. I don't know why. That little dip did the job very quickly, almost instantly. I tried it with the turquoise…and it didn't work.

I'm always trying random things.
Old 2010-06-08, 8:57pm
Formerly FishBulb

Huh! Cool experiment, Rachelle!

Regarding the rust around the bead holes -- could that have something to do with your mandrels? I remember seeing a post around the boards by Lisi who offered a solution to that problem.

I had to lol at the OCD bead placement. I'm OCD too but my beads just sit in the kiln where ever I chuck them.