No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2011-07-07, 5:48pm
Unmedicated since '62

Default help!! i need some creative thinking

i'm organising my studio

i bought this - its perfect for what want but when i put it together i realised that its too big to put above my work bench, it comes out too far and the top shelf will be too high by the time i raise it high enough to clear my scone - i was going to put it lengthways and fill the holes with poly tubing for glass storage
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-07-07, 5:51pm
Unmedicated since '62

so now i'm thinking maybe i put it like a room divider to my left but i need to raise it off the floor somehow or i'll lose the bottom sections for storage and defeat the purpose

on my left now i have a trolly with my kiln on it - its in a really convenient position so i hate to move it but really its the only place.

also, if i put it on my left i divide the room by about two thirds

Old 2011-07-07, 6:03pm
Loving learning

Post a picture or two of your work area.

"high enough to clear my scone" ~ I'm not sure what that means. The only scone I know of you eat.
Old 2011-07-07, 6:09pm
Unmedicated since '62

oh sorry, scone=head

i'm just going to draw up a plan - putting it somewere is more complicated than i've said, there is already a lot of stuff in the room that cant be really moved

Old 2011-07-07, 7:26pm
Unmedicated since '62

so this is my layout

the "new storage" in the middle is what i'm trying to place

it can go where the kiln is and the kiln can go between the freezer and the filing cabinet, but i really like the kiln to my left

my other option is to move the glasswork bench 90deg to the right and put it under the window - it makes my ventilation a little more complicated but nothing i cant deal with, then i would put the storage to my left mounted on the wall (which is what i wanted in the first place) and leave the kiln where it is

Old 2011-07-07, 7:28pm
Unmedicated since '62

these are some pics of how it looks now
Attached Images

Old 2011-07-07, 7:36pm
Live and Let Live

Can the filing cabinet move closer to the freezer, under the shelves, and then the new glass rack could go vertically on the wall where the file was?

Old 2011-07-07, 7:41pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGalore View Post
Can the filing cabinet move closer to the freezer, under the shelves, and then the new glass rack could go vertically on the wall where the file was?
if i put it vertically i lose two of the sections at least - i'm really trying to avoid that cos i've worked out i need them all

actually, i need six of the eight, two have little drawers in them that i'm going to use for tools and stuff, they would be really hard to get to flat on the floor as would glass

i sort of dont want glass sticking out at leg/knee hight too

oh and the shelves come down lower than the top of the cabinet when its upright, forgot about that, i'd have to lose two shelves i think and they have a lot of stuff stored on them

Old 2011-07-07, 7:49pm
Unmedicated since '62

other side of the room

i cant move the filing cabinet nearer to the door because there is a light switch there, for the same reason, i cant put the cabinet right next to the door either

i had toyed with mounting it on the wall where the filing cabinet is but i dont have enough room between the freezer and the door/light switch

Old 2011-07-07, 7:57pm
Live and Let Live

Is there a place to plug in the freezer by the window to the right of your glass bench, and you could hang the new glass rack horizontally where the freezer currently is?

Old 2011-07-07, 8:05pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Is there a place to plug in the freezer by the window to the right of your glass bench, and you could hang the new glass rack horizontally where the freezer currently is?
no, thats a window all the way along, anyway if i put the glass rack above the freezer it would end up too high coz i have to be able to open the freezer lid

the glass bench just fits under the window, but i would have to put something over the window or the flame might damage the screen

Old 2011-07-07, 8:14pm
Loving learning

How much too far does it stick out if you put it above your bench?
I ask because I'm wondering if it would be worth it to pull your bench away from the wall the (say 6"?) that would allow you enough clearance to make it safe. But would it get too hot being above your flame anyway?
I can see you have the inspectors on the job though, and I'm sure they'll come up with something good, LOL.
Old 2011-07-07, 8:35pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
How much too far does it stick out if you put it above your bench?
I ask because I'm wondering if it would be worth it to pull your bench away from the wall the (say 6"?) that would allow you enough clearance to make it safe. But would it get too hot being above your flame anyway?
I can see you have the inspectors on the job though, and I'm sure they'll come up with something good, LOL.
really too far, and i cant put it low enough to be able to get to the top - the bench is 600 deep and the cabinet is 400 - i'm left with 200mm, it would just be too cramped and then there is nowhere for me to put the ventilation

ah yes, glass thieves posing as safety inspectors

Old 2011-07-07, 8:47pm
Live and Let Live

It's sounding like moving your glass bench to the window wall and hanging the storage on the wall where the glass bench is now may be your best option then. Unless you'd like to fly me over to have a closer look at the situation.

Old 2011-07-07, 8:55pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
It's sounding like moving your glass bench to the window wall and hanging the storage on the wall where the glass bench is now may be your best option then. Unless you'd like to fly me over to have a closer look at the situation.

you know whats funny? i had a dream last night that i flew 25 of you over to help me set up a big teaching studio - i even worked out how i was going to select who came, i picked three then got those three to pick another three and so on - it was a blast, we had a massive party and then spent a week setting up the studio and ordering shitloads of glass

i hope its a premenition...

Old 2011-07-07, 8:56pm
Live and Let Live

Count me in!

Old 2011-07-07, 9:06pm
Unmedicated since '62

yeah i'm pretty sure you were on the list, as were squid, Karen, Brent, Kimberly, Lori, Kevan and for some reason even though i've never seen him make a bead Chris

in the dream more and more people kept turning up at the party - i remember i was thinking "i need to go and see how many people are on LE so i can cater enough"

Old 2011-07-07, 9:49pm

I think you would save lots of space if you sent me those cute cats of yours!

Old 2011-07-07, 10:22pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdsonawire View Post
I think you would save lots of space if you sent me those cute cats of yours!
save me a lot of crap cleaning up if i sent them to somebody, anybody!

Moet has discovered tissues...

Old 2011-07-08, 12:12am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
yeah i'm pretty sure you were on the list, as were squid, Karen, Brent, Kimberly, Lori, Kevan and for some reason even though i've never seen him make a bead Chris

in the dream more and more people kept turning up at the party - i remember i was thinking "i need to go and see how many people are on LE so i can cater enough"
I'm sad that the locals didn't rate.....

You can get boxes/baskets to fit those bookshelves. perhaps two of them on the lowest shelves to put stuff in. that way you could pull them out and up to bench height to rummage thru.

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!
Old 2011-07-08, 12:57am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by one hot beader View Post
I'm sad that the locals didn't rate.....

You can get boxes/baskets to fit those bookshelves. perhaps two of them on the lowest shelves to put stuff in. that way you could pull them out and up to bench height to rummage thru.
you idiot, the locals would be there anyway

i bought a little drawer unit and another box thingy that divides it into 4 neat squares

Old 2011-07-08, 8:32pm
Unmedicated since '62

ok, my deep seated OCD is coming to the surface...

last night i was working on how much pvc pipe would fit into the holes in the unit above

i usually use pipe with a 49.2mm OD but when i tried to fit it in it didnt fit neatly - poo!

so i decided to try the next size up 55.8 OD - stacked on top of each other they fit quite neatly, in fact you'd think it was made for it (yay!)

but, i really like the honeycomb effect - its more space conservative (bees get it right) - so i decided to see whether both would fit and was totally surprised to find that they do!! perfectly fit - you could use the smaller section for matching stringer maybe

i'm using CAD software to do this so i know my measurements are perfect

Old 2011-07-10, 7:26am
That which you are given

what if you put it vetical under you work bench and silver bench. the kiln shelf you could loose and put the kiln on top of the shelf that with some tiles under it for safty sake. This would meen cutting the legs off on each bench that the shelf would be used to support the benches on one side. I don't know how high your benches are. I know you said you didn't want to go vertical. and you may have to move your torch down a bit.

Old 2011-07-10, 7:52am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemwapuwa View Post
what if you put it vetical under you work bench and silver bench. the kiln shelf you could loose and put the kiln on top of the shelf that with some tiles under it for safty sake. This would meen cutting the legs off on each bench that the shelf would be used to support the benches on one side. I don't know how high your benches are. I know you said you didn't want to go vertical. and you may have to move your torch down a bit.
Way to big to put under an of the benches and the kiln is on a trolley

I put it on the wall

Pics tomorrow

Old 2011-07-10, 8:01am
uncouthful cats

I'm not great at spatial issues unless I'm actually there wandering around, but here's my thought: if you're not completely averse to using the middle of the studio to create a sort of "studio island", how about getting something, oh, I dunno, like a Craftsman storage, or whatever would be the correct base size for the cabinet, & then cut the cabinet in half & set the halves back to back on top of the storage thingie? To prevent glass from slippin' & slidin' from one side to the other, you could put something like a plywood divider, or even screen, to keep glass from goin' vis'tin'.

I don't know if this would work size-wise in your space, or if you would want to cut the unit, but it would give you even more storage capacity!

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!
Old 2011-07-10, 10:55am
That which you are given

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
Way to big to put under an of the benches and the kiln is on a trolley

I put it on the wall

Pics tomorrow
figured it may be to wide for that, glad you found a way

Old 2011-07-11, 1:55am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by clan tabby View Post
I'm not great at spatial issues unless I'm actually there wandering around, but here's my thought: if you're not completely averse to using the middle of the studio to create a sort of "studio island", how about getting something, oh, I dunno, like a Craftsman storage, or whatever would be the correct base size for the cabinet, & then cut the cabinet in half & set the halves back to back on top of the storage thingie? To prevent glass from slippin' & slidin' from one side to the other, you could put something like a plywood divider, or even screen, to keep glass from goin' vis'tin'.

I don't know if this would work size-wise in your space, or if you would want to cut the unit, but it would give you even more storage capacity!
I don't think it would fit, I have trouble moving around in there now

Old 2011-07-11, 2:48am

Cutting it wouldn't work anyway, the outer section of these Ikea bookshelves aren't solid.

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!
Old 2011-07-11, 4:52am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Cutting it wouldn't work anyway, the outer section of these Ikea bookshelves aren't solid.
Yup

Old 2011-07-11, 8:40am
uncouthful cats

Quote:
The frame is hollow? Ah, well, not a good candidate for cutting then!

Don't you have some pics to show us, Deb?

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!