Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-09-28, 1:22pm

Default Working in shed

Hi,

I have what is probably a newbie questions but as I am one will ask anyway

I am currently trying to sort my studio (Shed) and just though that with it not being insulated or anything am I best keeping the glass in the house and then taking it out to work on. I am worried about it getting too cold over the winter. I know here in the UK it doesn't get as cold as a lot of countries but didn't want my glass to shatter when I go to use it.

Advice/suggestions greatly appreciated

There is a fix to every oops.
Old 2012-09-28, 2:46pm
All Zeke, all the time

will you have some source of heat? even when you are in the shed using your equipment? I know the torch is hot but that isnt gonna do anything for your toe-zzies...
Old 2012-09-28, 3:14pm

I am hoping to get some source of heat at some point but that will only be while I am working. I will be using my snowboarding thermals I think

Old 2012-09-28, 6:22pm
All Zeke, all the time

well I am a newbie so I dont know if it will even be an issue. Maybe put the glass you are expecting to use during a torch session in a water filled crockpot on low to warm up before you start to introduce the rods to the flame. The warm water should be gentle enough to keep from shattering the glass but not so hot they cant be handled.

obviously someone not in a warm climate (Florida) and with experience would be best to to chime in so also consider this note as a bump to the top too!
Old 2012-09-28, 7:07pm

My temp sometimes gets to 45-50F. I just introduce the rods to the flame slowly and haven't had any problems. I probably wouldn't try 10mm rods without prewarming, though.

Georgia
Old 2012-09-28, 8:44pm

It gets cold in my shed, I have an inferred heater at my back. You can find ones that will hang on your ceiling and radiate heat on you from above. I also wear a hoodie, and usually flannel pajama bottoms and fur lined moccasins w/socks and that usually keeps me fairly warm enough.

Also for color rods and smaller clear rods and tubes I place close to my torch, or even near the kiln. The radiant heat warms them so they don't shock as bad.
Old 2012-09-28, 11:03pm
I'm meeeeelting

These work great for preheating the end of the rods. I put a small piece of graphite in the bottom of mine to keep the rods from sticking to the ceramic when I put them back in too hot. You can warm murrini on top.

http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Hot-Jumbo...son+stove+iron

Foot Pedal Tutorial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-09-29, 6:07pm
offically down under

I work in my garage but with the heat of the oxy con, kiln and torch, I stay pretty warm when the temps dip to the high 50s°. One thing I will never do is wear flammable clothing or anything good since the possibility of burning polyester or polar fleece scares the bejesus out of me. Do you want to risk your good snowboarding gear? If you do wear it, make sure you wear a leather apron.

Old 2012-09-29, 11:41pm

Thanks all for your comments and Tammy I would only use my socks and thermals which would be under other clothing not my actual snowboarding gear.

I am thinking of getting some cheap overalls to wear while working that will stay outside to try and reduce the risk of shards getting in the house. With 2 little ones, one crawling, I am a bit paranoid about keeping shards out of the house.

Old 2012-09-30, 2:03am

Any chance of placing some insulation into the shed (and Sheetrock over it)... That will help keep warmth in and cold out? I find it hard to get my hands to do the right things if they're not the right temperature ... I don't think you need to worry about the glass as much as your comfort.

Old 2012-09-30, 5:19am

I think your rods will be shockier, and prewarming them is a good idea. Then introduce gradually into your flame, with the end pointed away from you. Even so, in the winter I will have glass rods chunk off suddenly, mid wrap. Just be mentally prepared for it and go with it.
Old 2012-09-30, 5:43am
Resident hippie

You can store your glass in the shedio no problem Niki. I've done it for years here in Ireland and nothing has ever cracked because of the cold. Taking glass in and out of the house means extra work, stifles creativity and uses space in the house better used for other stuff. Good luck with it all!

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2012-09-30, 6:32am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadanna View Post
You can store your glass in the shedio no problem Niki. I've done it for years here in Ireland and nothing has ever cracked because of the cold. Taking glass in and out of the house means extra work, stifles creativity and uses space in the house better used for other stuff. Good luck with it all!
This. Whether you go from zero degrees or a hundred degrees into the flame, it doesn't make a lot of difference. Rods that are shocky will be shocky at both ends of the spectrum. You'd need to warm them to several hundred degrees to make them less shocky.

I have rods I will only work with in winter because I don't want to turn on my rod warmer in summer and add to the ambient temperature. It's already hot enough here in Texas.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-09-30, 2:58pm

Thank you all so much for your comments. That is great to hear Anna & Elizabeth so I will just store them outside then. Makes life a bit easier

Thanks again all

Old 2012-09-30, 3:22pm

I use an old food warmer tray i have had for years when it gets chilly. Actually i use it all the time now. mine gets hot enough to melt a plastic baggie - yep i set a baggie of murrini on it, thinking it wouldn't get that hot. LOL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ELEC...0425%26ps%3D54

SRA #C88

Old 2012-09-30, 5:59pm
Calendar Girl

I work in a shed. In the winter I pre warm my rods on a George Foreman grill that Ingotmat a yard sale, but even with that, January is too cold for torching, because then intake air cracks the beads. But that's when it's below 20 degrees F outside.

Old 2012-09-30, 9:01pm

Default Working in a shed

I work in a shed. It's insulated but no central heat. I leave my glass rods out there all year long. When I'm torching in the cold weather I place a large aluminum plate on the top of my kiln and place my rods on the plate to pre-heat them....and they get pretty darn hot. I sometimes burn my fingers if I pick them up too close to the aluminum. Never had any problems with them being extra shocky because of the cold.
Hope this helps.
Suzanne
Old 2012-10-01, 1:54pm

In the winter I don't leave any unused dipped mandrels in the shed, or the change in temperature makes the bead release crack on heating, I bring them back into the house and take them back out the next day.
Old 2012-10-01, 2:25pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Let me ask a question - I'll be running a heater when I'm out there, but my shed will definitely be below freezing the rest of the time during the winter. I need to bring my bead release in the house, right?

L-111

Old 2012-10-01, 7:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknaks12 View Post
Hi,

I have what is probably a newbie questions but as I am one will ask anyway

I am currently trying to sort my studio (Shed) and just though that with it not being insulated or anything am I best keeping the glass in the house and then taking it out to work on. I am worried about it getting too cold over the winter. I know here in the UK it doesn't get as cold as a lot of countries but didn't want my glass to shatter when I go to use it.

Advice/suggestions greatly appreciated
I used to live in Harrogate, North Yorkshire. Found that a couple of heat lamp spot lights on the right side of my work bench worked wonders to prewarm the rods while I was working. Still use the same technique here in the states and my garage gets considerably colder here, but it still does the trick. Just be wary of larger rods and the hand pulled ones. Introduce to the flame slowly helps too.

Beaded Chic

Old 2012-10-02, 3:18pm

Thanks for all the replies, some really good ideas here that I will be following up. This is a really lovely group of people and I appreciate all the help and advice,

Thanks again

Old 2012-10-02, 5:37pm

I keep my rods on top of my kiln in the winter & if they're real shocky, I warm them in the kiln. Watch out though, because you want to keep the end sticking out far enough so you don't burn yourself when you pull them out. I'm live in the Texas Panhandle & we're having the most beautiful fall & bead making is wonderful right now. I'm dreading winter.
Old 2012-10-03, 9:05am

Unfortunately I don't have a kiln right now but definitely going to give some of your suggestions a try thanks. Really pleased you are having a good fall and hope winter is kind for you x

Old 2012-10-03, 5:25pm
Borovangelist

I have an infrared heater mounted over my torch station. It's nice because it heats stuff, not the air, so it's less effected by the ventilation.

Kilns make great ceramic mug warmers too.

|
|