Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2013-11-08, 9:30pm

Default Natural gas?

Does anyone have a pic of their natural gas set-up? do you use a gauge with it?
Besides getting a plumber to hook up a pipe stem is thee anything elseI should know like drawbacks? differences in glass quality or special things I have to do that is different when lampworking? I'm ready to call the plumber, but want all the info I can gather before I embark.

Thanks!
Elyart
Old 2013-11-08, 10:15pm
Melody of Glass

I do not use a gauge on mine. It tends to burn a bit cooler than propane and unless you boost ot, the pressure is lower. I don't boost mine but I use a Lucio torch made for low pressure NG and oxy and it's great. It also tends to burn a bit cleaner.

Make sure you install an easily accessible emerg shutoff valve. Don't rely on the torch valve to turn off the gas to the studio.

I love it. No tanks to deal with. It is definitely not as hot, though. I notice a difference when I work elsewhere on propane.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-11-09, 3:55pm
Alaska Boro

The standard home NG line has a pressure of around 1/3 PSI. Thus no gauge is needed.

The limiting factor with NG is that the pressure is low which limits the amount of available fuel. i.e. 1/3 PSI for NG vs 5 PSI for propane Thus if one is comparing torches and how much heat (BTU) each delivers it is important to test each using the same fuel pressures. However, there are a number of torches that work well with NG.

The overall advantage is that there is NO carbon build up. No more trips to the propane store. And it is vary easy to achieve an oxidizing flame.

The disadvantage is that there is less fuel available at 1/3 PSI. However, higher pressures can be obtained by using a NG booster if pressures up to 25 PSI are desired. The other aspect is that the flame characteristics of Propane vs NG are totally different and will take some time to achieve.

Overall NG on the Scorpion at 5 PSI is working well and IMO works just as well as Propane at the same working pressures.
Old 2013-11-12, 4:50am

My DH set up my NG connection and had the gas company set the pressure at the higher rate. He installed a step down valve to take care of everything else that uses the lower rate. Our bill is a bit lower now for some reason. I agree about it being far cleaner than propane and it does reduce and oxidize colors more easily. Even the Devardi colors behave better with it.

Andrea
Old 2013-12-15, 7:59am

Cool! Thanks!

Ellen
Old 2013-12-17, 7:24am

I use NG with my phantom. My pressure into the building wasn't high enough so I use a booster. Hate the noise of the booster. Trying to figure out if the booster can be in the basement below my studio and piped up. Any advice?