Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-07-25, 6:25pm

Default What's your favorite Boro Color

I've tried Boro a few times and would like to try different colors but there are soo many to choose from and soo many brands as well.
I thought I'd ask some boro users what their favorite colors are.
I wanted to do a poll but I don't know enough colors or brands to even think of how to do one
Also, why do you choose a certain brand over another or is there a difference?
What clear do you use as well and do most of you encase your beads. I'd like to make some round one's but not sure if everyone encases them.
If I like the looks of them, I might try and carry a few colors in the future.
Thanks for the input!

Irene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-07-25, 8:43pm

My favorite colors are
black pearl!!! new GA color - awesome implosions, backing on pendants, encased, unencased. just awesome color for anything.

purple luster- I use this the most I think

triple passion- lovely

I tend to use more Glass Alchemy colors but love the northstar just as much

I encase most of my beads. I use simax clear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-07-25, 10:13pm
yukue fumei

I love so many of the colors it is so hard to choose! These are some of the colors I use most at the moment, but then again, it can change quickly to something else....

Elvis Light Ruby
GA Triple Passion
GA Amazon anything
GA Black Pearl
GA Agua Azul
Momkas Stormy Weather
Momkas Blue Treasure
Momkas Exotic Grapefruit
Momkas Gerber Pink
Momkas Carribean Coral
Momkas Silver Beach
Northstar Extra Light Yellow
Northstar-21 reformulated Mill Moss
Northstar Double Amber Purple
Northstar Unobtanium
Northstar Blue Thunder
Northstar Mystery Aventurine
Northstar cosmic Orange
Northstar Jet Black
Colormax White
Colormax Lavender

clear-Schott Duran only
and I do regular, partial encased and fully encased beads

nagi

Old 2007-07-25, 10:14pm
yukue fumei

and you changed your avatar hi!

nagi

Old 2007-07-25, 11:48pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

My favorite (and I do have a LOT of them) is Elvis Light/dark red.
I had been searching for a good solid blood red color, and my other reds
all go livery or have striking attitudes. Elvis is the red transparent god
of boro glass. It is perfection - even I can not screw it up.
And it makes incredible flowers...nummy.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2007-07-26, 12:33am

Nagi...Lots of colors there.
I need to look at the Elvis red color. I'm not a red fan myself but I do like Lauscha's Berry Red...omg the color is just gorgeous.
Thanks for posting your favorites...gonna take a look and see what the names look like and see what I'd like to try!
Are any easier to work with than the other? Meaning.....are some easier to get color out of than the other?
The amber purple I have works or it doesn't lol. Very finicky. I have the double amber purple but haven't been able to really get too much color from it. Am I supposed to reduce it or more oxygen?
Thanks again
Irene

Old 2007-07-26, 4:44am
yukue fumei

Hi Irene--
I didn't see the Berry Red on your site...is it different from the regular colors? I am curious, since I missed out on the Strawberry....I don't use as much soft glass now that I am currently obsessed with boro, but I keep buying odds incase I ever want to go back LOL!
The Elvis Ruby is nice compared to other rubies. It has a longer window before the color gets livery. There are some effects that the old rubies are nice for(love NS Pomegranate), but Elvis is still King

There are so many ways to work boro....some colors are WYSIWYG, but others have metals in them and bloom in wonderful ways. They can be either kiln struck or flame struck. Amber Purples are a bit tricky. You need to do the "cool, then strike in the back of the flame" trick with them. Be watchful of that haze that builds up. Burn it off and then strike to keep your colors clean.
You can even take a silvered color and use it to fume with. Speaking of fume, it is super fun to fume boro. You will get amazing colors and sometimes rainbow effects.
Try layering colors to get different colors. Watch the deep encasing. Greens and sparkles don't like to be encased as much....some do work, but you need to work in an oxygenating flame.
Oh, and you will LOOOOOOOOVE that boro is not so thermal shocky as soft! And you can admire your work before you kiln it and it won't crack
One more note--sorryI am so long winded, but I am so excited for you to try boro--boro colors can get dark fast. use alot of clear to let the light shine through the piece.
And if you want to try some colors, just let me know--if I have it, I will be glad to send you some

nagi

Old 2007-07-26, 5:32am
ManBearPig

My current favorite is GA Caramel Luster. But I also use a lot of Amber/Purple, Solara, Elvis, Blue Moon, and Black Violet. Also quite a bit of silver and/or gold fuming.

Old 2007-07-26, 5:43am
Serenity Now!

Oooh Chad - I was going to chime in with the Caramel Luster as well...It's so hard to narrow it down - truly depends on whim as far as I an tell.

Same goes for encasement - some yes, some no, some part-ways... I use Simax - Have got no favorites in terms of Supplier - they've all got loads of interesting/cool colors to play with...

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:

Last edited by Over the Moon; 2007-07-26 at 7:47am.
Old 2007-07-26, 6:47am

Caramel luster.... DROOL!!!!!
Old 2007-07-26, 7:04am
Hummel factory reject

Hi Reenie! Here's a great thread that Sandy started. Some great color lists there. http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=60184. Enjoy, Lori

Old 2007-07-27, 2:52am

Thanks guys....gonna check it out.
Nagi thanks for the tips. Yes, I do get haze when working with the amber purple but thanks to your tip..maybe I can get rid of it!
Irene

Old 2007-07-28, 7:03am

GA amazon lagoon, i remember the first time i used it thinking i never needed another color! i also love momka exotic citrus grapefruit and elvis, precision jet for black, borostix for white. and of course clear.
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2007-07-29, 6:39am

Lately I am just kind of hooked on borostix white and gold fume. But my favorite colors are spring luster, amazon jewel, and peacock chameleon.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2007-08-01, 6:54am

Besides Silver Beach, Magic Mirror and Sunset Orange, one of Momka's colors that gets not much publicity is Purple Haze. A great color to swirl around in other colors for that beautiful wispy blues that boro is famous for... I encase almost all my beads with clear...

Old 2007-08-01, 6:56am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAG View Post
Besides Silver Beach, Magic Mirror and Sunset Orange, one of Momka's colors that gets not much publicity is Purple Haze. A great color to swirl around in other colors for that beautiful wispy blues that boro is famous for... I encase almost all my beads with clear...
Yeah. I really like a lot of the Momka's colors. Really makes me wish they would get back in touch with me about carrying their glass...