Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-11-03, 11:19pm

Default Looking for Boro Help

There is so much talent here, I asked if we could post a request and was told to go ahead... so here it is.

We have started a “Boro Newbie” thread on the Wet Canvas forum in response to a need expressed by many of us having trouble finding classes for boro where we live. We are looking for experienced artists for assistance. What we are asking for is a single project with very specific, easy to follow instructions (heat, timing, location in the flame, annealing time and temps…we have a wide range of experiance). I would post the supply list provided by you early (about two weeks out) to allow people time to get what was needed. We would then work your project for two weeks. We are looking for help with colors and shapes. I am starting to look for projects that would be suitable for an intermediate level.

If you are willing, you can schedule the month you would like to participate to fit your schedule. I am currently looking for projects starting in Feb. We have some very motivated people who are begging to learn. I truly hope you will be able to join us in our journey. If you know of other artists who might want to help please give them my contact information. If you have any questions or suggestions please contact me.

Thank You!!!

Karen Draper KAOSFL@sw.rr.com
Trike girl on Wet Canvas
Wet Canvas Glass Lobby address http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91

The official stuff: Please keep in mind while we can not promote the sale of a specific product on WC we can explain how to get specific colors to work for example.
Old 2007-11-04, 10:59am
ManBearPig

I'd love to, but I'm banned from that board...

If I wasn't, I'd gladly help you out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-11-04, 12:22pm

I wish you could help... your work is beautiful.

Old 2007-11-04, 2:10pm
ManBearPig

You can speak to the moderators. They banned me because I asked one of them what their definition of "artwork" was. They replied by banning me.

Old 2007-11-04, 3:09pm

What about doing one on this board too then the people who don't go over to wetcanvas much could still see this?

Old 2007-11-04, 3:53pm
Hummel factory reject

There should be a newbie area here in the boro room. Maybe a torch/set up area, color study area, project area, problem solving etc...Karen is doing a fab job with the boro newbie thread on W.C.

Old 2007-11-04, 4:06pm
Serenity Now!

I agree Lori - Karen is doing a fab job with the thread over there...it'd be great to have such a thing here as well...

Thing is Karen, after seeing your work, I figure you should be posting here in the Show and Tell, etc - you're no newbie - that's for sure - your work is beautiful!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2007-11-04, 4:53pm
Somethings grow wild

Location: Soulsbyville in California, just down the hill from Yosemite

Hi All
I did a little tut for them over there....It is probably one of the most rewarding things you can do. They are eager to try new things and take them to the next step.

Hay Kare, I would be getting over there more, but man am I busy.
Kare

Old 2007-11-04, 5:13pm

You guys should try to get Nancy Tobey to teach at a local shop. She's amazing, and well worth the cost of her class!

mini cc, tanked O2, propane and a diet coke
Old 2007-11-04, 7:23pm

Thanks for the kind words

Lori - not sure if I can do both WC and LE and work 10-12 hrs day. The WC folks are getting ready to move the tutorials once they are in their new home I'll put the link over here. At least that would be a start. Or I can Partner with someone here and we could help each other.

Lori L - Thanks!

Val - Thanks. I just started with boro earlier this year. Not sure you would say that if you had seen the fish I just tried (LOL). I think it will end up posted for "Fugly Friday" on WC, then find a home under a plant. I would love to take a class sooooo much but can't until a large project at work is wrapped up (I'm the team chief so I can't take off).

Kare - we miss you!!! Your butterfly is also being used with soft glass

Dawn - Actually I was going to ask if she would do a tutorial. Several of us are fans. We can't really do a class since at last check we were in 4 countries and 14 states. As soon as I can get my schedule figured out I will be taking a class someplace.

Old 2007-11-04, 8:02pm

I can run the newbie thread here if there's interest. I can just coordinate with Kare to get any tutorials up in both places. Do you guys want to do that?

Old 2007-11-04, 9:46pm

Dawn You are awesome!!!

Old 2007-11-04, 9:51pm
Mandrel Slayer

Dawn,

I would love to participate in this.

Bonny

Nothing right now

What happens in Rockland, stays in Rockland.....
Hellcat, Two M-15s, propane and finally no tanked oxy.
Old 2007-11-05, 5:57am

I'd love a newbie thread.... I'm about to start trying boro but really have no idea where to start.. All help would be very much appreciated!
Old 2007-11-05, 6:18am
Butterfly Rancher

I'd give it a try. And, there's a "Soft Glassers join me for Boro Fridays" thread in the game room. Those folks might participate as well.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2007-11-05, 7:08am
ManBearPig

Well, I checked over on WC and apparently the ban has been lifted on my account. I had talked to a moderator who posts here and he asked me to consider coming back, and that he would see about them lifting the ban. So, apparently that worked. I'll be glad to help you do whatever you need...

Old 2007-11-05, 8:35am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Well, I checked over on WC and apparently the ban has been lifted on my account. I had talked to a moderator who posts here and he asked me to consider coming back, and that he would see about them lifting the ban. So, apparently that worked. I'll be glad to help you do whatever you need...
Great!

I'm working on getting the tutorial info we currently have from Kare to be posted in a Boro Tutorial thread here. Then we can open a Boro Newbie thread where we can ask questions and share pics.

Old 2007-11-05, 8:45am

I would be willing to do a boro tutorial on something. Not sure what it would be yet, but if you would like me to let me know. I don't Always check WC or here, so you may have to PM me.

Jesse

Old 2007-11-05, 11:07am
Fire and Fluidity

I would be happy to do tutorials. One of the requirements of my first teacher, back when there was a "glass curtain" and people didn't share, was that I had to agree to "pass it on". That was 30 years ago and I have been doing that ever since.
There is a hearts tutorial here on LE and there is a wire wrapping for vessels on WC. I am in the process of putting together a tutorial on vessels and ornaments blown off the end of a tube, no need to pull points!!! Show interest (setting up the photos for this is a lot of work) by PMing me and I'll finish it and put it up here.

-Don-

PS There are some pictures of making a spinning top on my page on Glassartists.org ("fyrsmith's gallery"). It's not really a tutorial, but it will give you some clues about how it's done.

"It all depends on how you look at things" said the Churkendoose.

Last edited by fyrsmith; 2007-11-05 at 11:17am.
Old 2007-11-05, 12:18pm
Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithfirebeads View Post
Dawn,

I would love to participate in this.

Bonny
Me, too! Me, too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrsmith View Post
I would be happy to do tutorials. One of the requirements of my first teacher, back when there was a "glass curtain" and people didn't share, was that I had to agree to "pass it on". That was 30 years ago and I have been doing that ever since.
There is a hearts tutorial here on LE and there is a wire wrapping for vessels on WC. I am in the process of putting together a tutorial on vessels and ornaments blown off the end of a tube, no need to pull points!!! Show interest (setting up the photos for this is a lot of work) by PMing me and I'll finish it and put it up here.

-Don-
Yes, please finish it Don!! There's a real dearth of boro instruction here. I'm just starting out, and not in an area where any classes or color help are easily accessible, so I'm constantly combing the boro room to see if there is any new info posted that I can build on!

Old 2007-11-05, 1:11pm
Butterfly Rancher

Boro vessels sounds really cool if it can be done on a MiniCC or such.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2007-11-05, 1:18pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckah View Post
Boro vessels sounds really cool if it can be done on a MiniCC or such.
I make them on a Minor and concentrators all the time...

Old 2007-11-05, 2:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrsmith View Post

-Don-
Don, I'd love to see the vessels and ornaments tutorial!!
Old 2007-11-05, 2:44pm

This is exciting! I know zip about making boro beads at this point but really really want to try and learn
Old 2007-11-05, 2:47pm
just plain silly

Don, your heart tutorial is great and I would like you to do the ornament and vessel tutorial.

I have lots to learn and thank you all for your boro tutorials!

Suzanne
Old 2007-11-05, 7:18pm

This is great DawnT has the LE boro newbie thread up and running I think we will be better by tapping the knowldege in both LE and WC. And to think I was afraid some one would be offended that I was asking for help over on the WC thread. This is too cool!!

Old 2007-11-06, 1:45am
Fire and Fluidity

Ok, I will work on a tutorial for tubing blown vessels. Because the larger ones require a special tool:

PIVOTING ROLLER TOOL

I'll work up a simpler technique. It should be ready for the February time slot.

-Don-

Old 2007-11-06, 4:33am

I'd be in to doing something for the L.E. forum. I don't go to WC anymore, but I try to check things out here as much as possible. Let me know, I'm sure I can come up with something......
-chris

Old 2007-11-07, 1:13pm

Don, how does that roller tool work, and how much does it cost? or did you make it yourself?
Old 2007-11-12, 11:58am
Fire and Fluidity

Brie,

The roller tool is ball bearings on the rods and the whole top section pivots. Actually, I have redesigned it since this picture was taken. It now has adjustable height also. Mine was made from parts in my scrap bin, but I am working up a marketable design and will be selling them (with instructions) as soon as I figure out costs. The advantage of a pivoting roller is that you can use it to center your piece on the tube, center your punty, and it is steadier that my hands when heating a small area for raking or other manipulation.

-Don-

Last edited by fyrsmith; 2007-11-12 at 12:01pm.