No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-02-05, 6:39pm
Dichro Queen

Default Lead in glass..Lead in Bead?

Since some glasses have a higher lead content in them, does this translate to a bead that is not safe? Is there any information about whether the lead in the glass can,over time, seep into the wearer of the bead - or is it permanently trapped in the matrix of the glass? I have heard that etching can disturb the matrix and thus allow seepage - but I do not know if this is totally accurate. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Jenny
Old 2007-02-05, 8:14pm
Gentleman of Leisure

The conventional thinking is that the lead in glass is encapsulated and will not leach out and contaminate the person who is in contact with glass.

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-02-06, 5:33am
Safety ALWAYS

In most cases, as Dale states, the lead is contained in the glass matrix.

What you do have to be careful of is the processing steps: cutting, grinding, melting, cleaning etc.

But unless your sweat has a high acid content to the point where it can etch glass, then no, there is no problem with beads made of lead glass.

But note that an etched bead won't release lead after the etching process is over. It's not like there is "liquid" lead inside the bead. The lead is molecularly attached to the glass matrix, and it is the finely ground "slurry" that is harmful, not the bead itself.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2007-02-06, 10:15am

From this OSHA document:

Lead can be absorbed into your body by inhalation (breathing) and ingestion (eating). Lead (except for certain organic lead compounds not covered by the standard, such as tetraethyl lead) is not absorbed through your skin. When lead is scattered in the air as a dust, fume or mist it can be inhaled and absorbed through you lungs and upper respiratory tract. Inhalation of airborne lead is generally the most important source of occupational lead absorption. You can also absorb lead through your digestive system if lead gets into your mouth and is swallowed. If you handle food, cigarettes, chewing tobacco, or make-up which have lead on them or handle them with hands contaminated with lead, this will contribute to ingestion.
Old 2007-02-06, 10:44am
Entropy increasing....

Swarovski crystal has something like 15% lead in it. Crystal stem ware, that you drink out of, also has lead in it.
Old 2007-02-06, 11:09am
Safety ALWAYS

Crystal stem ware WILL NOT give anyone lead poisoning. If you believe that, Kevan, you are seriously out of touch with reality.

The only time you can get lead through ingestion is to use a pot or bowl that has a high lead content glaze, such as might come from Mexico or another third world country. Glazes and such leach lead quite readily, but glass will not.

My company manufactures high lead content glass (85%+) for use in x-ray protective eyewear, and the only thing we have to be careful with is the glass grindings. Because the glass matrix has been broken down, the lead is much easier to leach out. If the grindings are land-filled, they have to go into a "special waste" landfill instead of a regular landfill. Our waste has not reached the hazardous waste level (thankfully), but we do have to ensure that the lead grindings are kept separate from the other grindings.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2007-02-06, 11:20am

I dont believe Kevan was stating that leaded stemware would poison anyone! I believe she was stating that there is lead IN leaded stemware and that is it.

PS. Swarovski is 24% lead crystal.
Old 2007-02-06, 11:21am
Dichro Queen

Thank you everyone for the information. I can now rest easy that my beads won't be a problem. It does sound like the old adage of having adiquate ventillation is again of great importance since the processing of the glass into beads is where the hazard is. Kevan, I was thinking the same thing that crystal wear and beads have lead in them and we use/wear them with no problems. Thanks for taking the time to reply and share your knowledge. I greatly appreciate it!

Jenny
Old 2007-02-13, 10:38am

Lead crystal stemware does have lead in it and as a rule the lead stays put in the glass. It is, however, recommended that you not store things like Port or Sherry for long periods of time in 'full lead crystal' (30% lead oxide) as some lead can leach out. Neither lasts long enough in our house to be a problem. High lead glazes on pottery usually contain lead sulfide.

Simple solution if anyone is worried about lead in beads. Don't eat them.

Robert
Old 2007-02-13, 3:07pm
William Hagy

Most wine connoisseurs will absain form drinking out of anything made with a lead content of over 3-7% because of how it distorts the taste. As far as the lead content in soft glass as the others have said it is in the hot working or grinding of the material that is a health concern. ~Heck work boro and be worry free
Old 2007-02-14, 6:28am
lov'in life!!!

Okay, this might be a dumb question but....Does boro not have any lead in it? If it doesn't, it makes it all that much more enjoyable that I went to the dark side

The past is history...the future is a mystery...today is a gift...that's why
we call it the "Present".

Old 2007-02-14, 8:04am
Safety ALWAYS

Actually, in the big picture, some elements at about the same toxicity as lead, such as Cadmium, Chromium, etc.

The bottom line is that you NEED *good to excellent* ventilation when working with molten glass in an open flame.