No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-05-03, 8:03am
Puddy Cat Lover

Default Controlled Devitrification Experiment

Well, you've heard of petrified wood, right? Here are some "devitrified" flowers.

I was very disappointed with this new glass that I purchased. I thought it would be just a really nice dark pink, but turned out to be very similar to EDP. (Effetre Purple) Making murrini flowers the way I do was so frustrating because the scummy bubbles were always there even when I encased them. So I decided not to encase them and just let them sit on top of the bead. This is what happened when I cooled the bead and then re-introduced it to the upper part of the flame. I got a pretty white devitrified halo that is the shape of the flower murrini. The beads in this picture are annealed. The halo stayed pretty prominent on the surface even after annealing. It looks like it's been etched. If you run your finger across the flower, it even feels like it has been etched. I'm kinda liking this effect. But I'm going to do some more experimenting.

Does anyone else have an example of controlled devitrification?

J.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-05-03, 8:34am
uncouthful cats

Petrified wood - pink? I've never seen a pink petrified wood; mine has always been orangish/russet tones, & it has never devitrified. I know each batch of this glass was different, but I've never seen a pink batch. Curious. The glass you have certainly is a beautiful color, & the cool halo effect is wild! What a happy accident! Love those beads.

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!
Old 2012-05-03, 8:36am

That looks really cool.What a wonderful effect and shaped perfectly.

Karen
Volkano Exotik

ripzz
Old 2012-05-03, 9:05am
Puddy Cat Lover

Thank you! I didn't mention the glass I used. It's Effetre hand pulled #253 which is called Rosa Variegato. You can also get this same effect with Effetre #257 Rosa SC (?), and Evil Purple too.

J.

Old 2012-05-03, 10:14am
uncouthful cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Savina View Post
Thank you! I didn't mention the glass I used. It's Effetre hand pulled #253 which is called Rosa Variegato. You can also get this same effect with Effetre #257 Rosa SC (?), and Evil Purple too.

J.
Oh, ok. I immediately thought of Vetrofond Petrified Wood. Hmmm, never heard of Rosa Variegato. Pretty stuff.

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!
Old 2012-05-03, 10:37am
Puddy Cat Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by clan tabby View Post
Oh, ok. I immediately thought of Vetrofond Petrified Wood. Hmmm, never heard of Rosa Variegato. Pretty stuff.
Okay, now your original comment makes sense to me. You thought I was referring to the Vetrofond glass named "petrified wood". I wasn't. It was just a play on words. My bad

Rosa "Variagata" (I spelled it wrong before) is a color I got from Art Glass House, Inc. And yes, it is a beautiful pink.

J.

Last edited by J. Savina; 2012-05-03 at 10:42am.
Old 2012-05-03, 10:39am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Those are beautiful Jeanette, I love that effect. I did some controlled devit work ages ago but I can't find the files now. I should try it again.

Old 2012-05-03, 5:37pm
Naysayer

beautiful effect!
Old 2012-05-03, 5:54pm
Loving learning

I have that glass, and now I want to try to make it do that if I make dots or stringer decorations. Very interesting effect!
Old 2012-05-07, 5:05am

I like them and I would also like to see some from others.