The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-12-28, 10:41am
Puddy Cat Lover

Default Using Natural Gas ???

Hello All,
Well after some grueling months of lampwork idleness (due to family issues), I'm finally getting back behind my torch. Yay!!!! I've moved my lampwork cart and supplies into a room that has a natural gas hook-up. My question is, what is the cheapest and safest way to hook up my torch?

If this subject has been discussed in the past, I'll keep searching, but just skimming through a few pages of post, I haven't found it yet. Still looking. If anyone can point me in the right direction with links and advice, I'd greatly appreciated it.

Using a Nortel Minor with a 5psi Oxycon.

Thanks you!

J.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by J. Savina; 2011-12-28 at 11:50am.
Old 2011-12-28, 1:06pm

I had a professional plumber "tap in" to our NG line. He installed a shut off valve on the wall and connected the line from the wall to my torch. I had an electrician install a dedicated line for my kiln. I run my torch on 2 concentrators, originally I had just one concentrator, but found that my flame was too cool, two has been great. Hope this helps
Kris

mini cc, ng, & 2 concentrators
Old 2011-12-28, 2:32pm

I just finished my NG set-up (pics in studio forum). Like Kris we had an HVAC guy (in our state those guys handle NG, not the plumbers), tap the line and handle the ventilation. Biggest challenge was getting the various contractors to understand what we were trying to achieve....you say torchwork and it's like you're speaking Greek.
Old 2011-12-28, 2:32pm

Professional plumber. Cost less than $100. My husband was sure he could do it, but some things are worth having done professionally.
Old 2011-12-28, 4:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaJ View Post
Professional plumber. Cost less than $100. My husband was sure he could do it, but some things are worth having done professionally.
Me too, I probably could have done it but felt better going with a pro on this one.

Once a Marine, Always a Marine! Semper Fi!
Old 2011-12-28, 7:48pm

Had plumber connect the gas line into spare room. Hubby finish running the line with two cut offs. One at the side of my table within reach and one at the floor. Cost about $100 to do it .
Old 2011-12-28, 8:51pm

My DH, who's a professional, set up my system and advised me that I would get better performance by changing the pressure from gravity to psi. He made a step down to take care of the lower pressure needs for all the rest of the gas things like water heater, oven, etc. I'm able to do boro quite well with it. It also makes a better bill each month because it is calculated differently. All it cost me was making some iridescent colored glass fish to hang from the rear view mirror LOL.
Old 2011-12-29, 7:04am
Puddy Cat Lover

Oh soooo helpful!!!! EVeryone thank you!!!
Yesterday (last night), I went au natural'. Hubby was a plumber in another life. (comes in so handy) We went to the hardware store and for around 25 buck-a-roos, not including the hose, which we had plenty of, he got me all hooked up. Love the blue flame. Glass melts just fine. Smooth like butta, pressure is perfect for the glass I work with. (not a boro broad yet). I'm a happy camper!!!

Love yous guys!

J.

Old 2011-12-29, 1:31pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Going 'au natural' must have been what motivated hubby....right
Old 2011-12-29, 2:55pm

I know you will be so happy with your new set up. Happy Torching and Happy New Year
Kris

mini cc, ng, & 2 concentrators
Old 2011-12-29, 8:46pm
Alaska Boro

Natural gas is nice and very convenient. Using a Scorpion with NG and a pair of 5 LPM at 10 PSI machines. The negative part is that for a residential studio the maximum pressure is set at 11 WC. Higher for industrial use in an non residential area. The interesting part is that distribution pressure at regulator is at 60 PSI. But .4 on the other side.
Old 2011-12-30, 9:45am
Bigger, longer, and uncut

We were able to get our natural gas increased to .5 psi from .25.

A limitation based on the pipe size into our neighborhood limited us to that, so it seems that in a newer development one could get the domestic pressure increased even more.

We hired a plumber to do the work. He pulled a building permit, so the work was inspected and signed off.

Old 2011-12-31, 10:34pm

In time you will probably notice that the natural gas is the cleanest fuel you can use. There are a lot of colors that just purr when they're introduced to it. And the pressure is always consistent, you don't need to worry about how much is left in a tank.

Andrea