Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-07-09, 6:20pm

Default Top Hat foot switch review

I looked all over this forum and could not find a place that was for new equipment review. This is a review of a foot switch that was created by Vega Visions and is being manufactured and sold by Jack Ridgeway of Unlimited Oxygen. I was just in the position to hook two friends up so that a new product would be available for lampworkers.
If this needs to be moved somewhere else, please do ,and let me know where it ends up.
I do not recieve anything when these sell. I just was lucky enough to get the first prototype to test for a year,and then lucky to be able to name it. I do endorse this product. because it is good.
For those who do not know, a foot switch is used to turn on a pre-set "larger" flame while running a smaller flame. this is on torches with multiple sets of oxy and propane knobs.

Top Hat foot switch review-by Tom Doner. He runs Art Glass Invitational

I would like to offer my opinion on the new “Top Hat” foot pedal available from Unlimited Oxygen. For the record: Throughout my career I have I have used Griffin, Wale, Carlisle, Snodgrass, and home made pedals.

Construction: Of course, one of the most important components we all look for in a tool is durability. Straight out of the box, I have to say that this is the most durable pedal I have ever used and would rate this unit #1 on a scale of 1 to 10.

It is constructed of powder coated heavy gauge steel, and I literally threw it down a flight of 17 steps… only managing to scratch the paint in a small area.

Function and design: There are many aspects to cover regarding the function and design of this product, and it is easy to tell that much attention has been paid to the details:

-It is wide and deep enough to accommodate any size footwear

-The weight of the pedal (approximately 2 – 3 pounds) along with the rubber / felt pads on the bottom keep it in place so it will not move away from you easily, if at all.

-The pedal itself has an industrial “no slip grip” coating for positive traction, which prevents your foot from sliding off of the pedal.

-There are yellow stripes imprinted on the pedal so it can be seen under your bench… no matter how little lighting is available.

-A simple yet effective design will provide a lifetime of use and abuse without the need for any maintenance.

Versatility: What more could you ask for…

-A pedal that works without electricity

-It will turn your outer fire on and off just like an electric pedal, with intermediate settings other than just “on and off”

-You will never have to replace a solenoid, switch, or wires

-It also works with pre-mixed burners for controlling flame intensity… NO electric pedal does that (I tested it on a National 3A blowpipe and a Jupiter Burner)

-It is available in the “A” model (with hose barbs), or “B” model (with threaded fittings).

Price: At a retail price of $325.00 (shipping included), it is the least expensive pedal on the market today (according to my research), as well as the most versatile.

DIRECT LINK TO FOOT PEDAL WEB SITE

If you have any questions about this review or would like to contact me directly about my experiences with Top Hat Pedal, my name is Tom Doner / Mr. Wonka and my e-mail address is info@glass123.com.

*This was an independent test, and I have not been paid for my review, nor do I have any financial connections to any of the parties involved with the concept, design, sale, or manufacture of this unit.

This photo was taken after it was thrown down the stairs, which was in between tests.