LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-07-16, 2:17pm
Does my glass look 2 big?

Default Colors that should NOT be encased?

Hi,
I was wondering if there are more colors that generally don't like to be encased. Not long ago I encased Moretti Coral and it cracked. It seemed to be that a lot of people knew this was a bad idea.
Now every time I am encasing a color that is new to me I wonder if I shouldn't be encasing it, maybe there are more colors that you can add to this list?

Moretti/Effetre Coral

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-07-16, 2:22pm
Peerless Thread Killer

I've had trouble encasing some of the Vetrofond Odd Lots-they've cracked. Don't know if others have found this to be the case.

Old 2008-07-16, 2:35pm
Megra Farbot

The 'special' colors, i.e. red, orange, etc., are ones that most people don't encase. I have found that the size of the bead matters. If you are doing a small bead {10-15 mm}, you can get away with many things that you can't in a larger bead. I case coral, red & orange on a regular basis, with no problems, but I'm doing small beads. I've had no problem with the coral up to 22 cm, so it may have been the clear you were using. I haven't played a lot with the Vetro odd lots, so no idea there.

Darcy
Old 2008-07-16, 3:20pm

Also, you're supposed to be able to case a lot of things you couldn't if you do a base of, say, clear, and then the color on top of that, and then encase. Some colors I think it depends on the batch you get.
-Maria
Old 2008-07-16, 3:21pm
maybe tomorrow

You can also encase a lot of the normally "uncaseable" colors by making a clear core, covering it with a thin casing of the finicky color, then encasing the entire thing.

Old 2008-07-16, 3:24pm

I had read about this! Now, one question does the clear base bead need to be the same clear as the encasing? Since I treasure my Lauscha Reformulated I wonder if I can use my not so nice Moretti clear for the base?

Old 2008-07-16, 4:05pm

I don't think it would make that much difference, but I generally use the most funky looking clear I have as my "heat sink" (the clear core.) I use the butt ends for this too, when I want to use the more expensive clear. You know, when you butt them together and they get scummy? That's what I hide in my cores!

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2008-07-16, 4:38pm
Entropy increasing....

Lauscha Hawaiian Purple. Has anyone ever encased that stuff without it cracking?
Old 2008-07-16, 4:41pm
maybe tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by closer2fine View Post
I had read about this! Now, one question does the clear base bead need to be the same clear as the encasing? Since I treasure my Lauscha Reformulated I wonder if I can use my not so nice Moretti clear for the base?
I said clear, but really, you could use most anything that doesn't mind being encased. I just use the cheapest glass I have for it. And, if you had a batch of scummy clear, you could use that, but honestly, I'd probably get it mixed up with my good clear, so I'd rather toss bad clear than try to keep it separate.

Old 2008-07-16, 4:46pm

I don't have that much glass so I can still keep them separate.... all 4 pounds of it LOL

I will give it a try, I used Coral with a tiny bit of Nyx (sp?) frit and encased, the bead looked awesome but it cracked! So maybe if I do the core, little coral, little frit and encase it won't, worth a try...!!

Old 2008-07-17, 9:24am
Peerless Thread Killer

Thanks for the reminder of putting a core of regular glass underneath! I'd forgotten that tip, so I'll try again with the odd lots.

Old 2008-07-17, 9:39am
Looking for my waistline

I've had trouble encasing dark lapis when it's used as a base color.
Old 2008-07-17, 9:42am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I've always had trouble encasing any Moretti with Lauscha clear.
That's a cracking recipe if I've ever had one.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-07-17, 10:38am

I've had some problems with CIM Celadon. I had squiggled some raku on it and melted in, then added some drops of Lauscha clear and it cracked where the Lauscha was. I've never had problems with adding raku to it, but only when I tried to cover it with Lauscha.