Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-07-13, 6:17pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Default Teaching a beginner lampworking - how much should I charge?

I just finished doing a bead show this weekend and had someone who is local to me ask if I would teach them how to lampwork. I have a good idea what I will be teaching them first off, but have no idea how much to charge. I'm thinking there should be a minimum of hours purchased, but no sure. Can someone give me some idea of what the rate is now for teaching? Thanks.

Ebay:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-07-14, 10:54am
Glass-aholic

depending on the time, possibly materials times 2 or 3???

I am just guessing here.. I mean with the work they say materials x3 why not teach for the same??? (for a one day course) If it is longer than that maybe charge per hour after initial costs? like 15 or 20 an hour???

I am curious to see what others have to say about this topic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-07-14, 11:01am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I'm going on what I know a few other lampworkers charge.

The standard rate for BASIC teaching (how to make a bead stuff)
is around $15-20 and hour. This is if you are a "no-name" person.

The standard rate if you are a "name" person to teach a technique
is much higher. A class from Kimberly Affleck (hi Kim!!!) would cost
you a lot more than a class from Karen Hardy.

For instance, if I was to take a class on how to make a certain type
of bead, or learn about an artists "secrets", I could expect to pay
around $450+ a day (10-5pm).

Compare it to taking a class with someone like Andrea G. (hi Andrea!) - those
are pretty expensive, but I don't take a class with Andrea expecting to learn
how to make a round bead. I should come into that class with intermediate
skills, and walk out being able to make beads that will make that class worth
the money I spent (and BOY did I!).

Help any? Clear as mud?

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-07-14, 11:02am
da General

Considering that taking a beginning lampworking class at a studio with 7-9 other students cost $100-135 a day (6-8 hours), and day rate for teachers range from $300 to $1000+ (the high end teachers prolly don't teach beginners' class tho!), private lessons probably fall somewhere in between.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-07-14, 11:05am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

oh, and about the materials....

Usually, we get a materials list for the advanced classes, and sometimes
we are provided with some of the more exotic stuff. Most of the boro
classes have the glass provided ( I think that GA and NS have special deals
with teachers for sample packs).

If you are teaching a beginning class, then I'd say you should provide
the materials (glass/mandrels) since you probably have enough of a stash
to spare a few rods to use.

And putting in a good word for my favorite store in the South Bay (Redondo)
Donna at the Mandrel provides lunch for the larger classes. Sandwiches and
chips and sodas. It's not mandatory, but it sure is nice.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-07-14, 11:35am
"Sinners have soul too"

For a beginner one to one session I used to charge $25 an hour and the session ran for 5 hours. I included all the supplies/tools (since you couldn't expect a beginner to purchase this for something they may wind up not liking). I don't teach beginner sessions any more, it takes a toll on me and I really don't enjoy teaching. Anyway, don't forget to do the safety schpeel and remind them to get up and walk around every hour or less... I would also have them sign a waiver. BTW, I would call what I was doing an "introduction" to bead making... I think an actual "beginner class" would be more than just 5 hours. JMO

Last edited by zen-mom; 2008-07-14 at 11:35am. Reason: typo
Old 2008-07-14, 12:36pm

I paid $200 for a full day class. But that was with Paulette Insall. The studio that I was renting torch time at charges It was 8 hrs with a break of 1 hr for lunch. I will say though I was really disappointed of the time I had on the torch She would make a bead then I would try to make the bead. I would have paid more for more time to get to play on the torch more. I don't think that you can get much out of the class if you only get to play one time on each thing that they are teaching. Do you have 2 torches? The way I would have been happier with my class would have been to have them demo then be able to do a half hour of practice then have them demo another thing and then another half hour. I would think that $300 for a 15 hr beginning class would be great so around 7.5 hrs each day. You woul still make $150 a day. If they don't want that much then give them a option of a 1 day class but explain that they won't get to play on the torch as much. I did not absorb much of my class because being able to just do it 1 time is not enough.

Old 2008-07-14, 2:38pm
Flame Dame

I taught for about 3 years, but have recently given it up. I taught for 3 hours (after that things seemed to get blurry in the students' head) and charged $35 per hour. That was for a one-on-one class. I did require a deposit since those who are really not interested could cancel at the last minute...that happened a lot before I required the deposit.

I also gave handouts on safety, annealing, suppliers, etc. And gave a small informational lecture at the beginning about the different types of glass, tools, what kilns did, etc. I also had a liability waiver that I required them to sign. And I still keep those on file.

If you have any other questions, just PM me.

Have fun teaching...it really is fun spreading our obsession with glass!

Leah

Etsy ID: leahbeads
Old 2008-07-14, 7:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbeedz1 View Post
I just finished doing a bead show this weekend and had someone who is local to me ask if I would teach them how to lampwork. I have a good idea what I will be teaching them first off, but have no idea how much to charge. I'm thinking there should be a minimum of hours purchased, but no sure. Can someone give me some idea of what the rate is now for teaching? Thanks.
Okay, I'm going to chime in here as a "newbie". To date, I've had 20 hours on the torch (16 hours boro, 4 hours in soft glass). I pay my instructor (who trained at Corning...but is "not famous"), $30 an hour for one on one instructions. I take a 2 hour lesson once a week, if her schedule allows it (she sometimes has shows she has to prepare glass for and can't take the time to teach). I graduated about a month or two ago to a one hour lesson and a one hour practice time....I pay $20 an hour for the torch time. She provides all the tools and glass, and of course oxygen & propane, including the use of the glasses.

Two weeks ago, I purchased my own glasses and last week, bought a used torch, lines, regulators, tools & glass at a yard sale (previous owner being deceased). Friday, I ordered my annealing oven and more glass and once I get the venting in place, I will only have lessons once in a while.

In my opinion, 2-3 hours at the torch for a beginner is about all they can handle. My instructor would show me an example and then let me do the bead or pendant on my own....but be there to step in if I got in trouble or to put on the loop. Anytime she did any part of the item I was working on, I did not feel the ownership of what I was making.....it wasn't quite mine if you know what I mean, but the majority of the work I took home was good...I didn't always like how it looked, but my friends liked all of it. The last couple of sessions, I've been doing everything myself, including the loops. When I was doing some of the simpler things, I would get 2-4 items done in a two hour session, oh, and I got to keep everything my instructor made for the demonstration. When I did a 2 hour torch session, because my instructor didn't have time to teach....but said I could come and practice, I made 7 off-mandrel heart pendants, but she did finish most of the loops for me, she said that was one of the hardest things to learn for many and she had some students that didn't even want to try.

I've learned a lot of different techniques, more than I would in a longer session. To date, I've made off-mandrel hearts, leaves, butterflies, flowers (pulled petal & cut), some encased flowers, beads on the mandrels (soft & boro), marbles, vessels, goddesses, pulled stringers (straight and twisted), made large holed "beads" for lack of a better word (off-mandrel, that I didn't care for), icicles, pendants, and fish. Some of the techniques I didn't like and might not do again, maybe because I didn't have the means to practice doing it until I got it "right". Some things I love doing, like the leaves, flowers and hearts. I've used goldstone, frits, gold leaf, silver leaf & palledium.I really want to learn how to do "better beads" that don't turn out lopsided and encased flowers (love how those look). There are lots of techniques and beads I want to try, and in a few weeks, I'll be able to and work at it until I decide if I can do it or just give up on it. I've attached a few things that I've made so far. Sorry, I don't know how people manage to get them 2-3 across....I'm not sure how they are going to show up.

Lynn
Attached Images

Old 2008-07-16, 11:16am
Creatrixie

eej, well it sounds like you are both adventurous and on fire! Keep up the great work!
I love your clover pic...the swirling blue on the green is gorgeous. Is that boro?
Sounds like you've got a good "fit" with your teacher.

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2008-07-16, 2:39pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryFool View Post
eej, well it sounds like you are both adventurous and on fire! Keep up the great work!
I love your clover pic...the swirling blue on the green is gorgeous. Is that boro?
Sounds like you've got a good "fit" with your teacher.
Yes, I work 95% of the time in Boro.

I got a bunch of soft glass frit and Millefiori with all the stuff I bought at the estate auction. I'm not sure I want to buy any of the soft glass to use it. Might be able to trade it for some boro frit and goodies some time. I find the soft glass to be a little bit too soupy after learning almost everything with boro.

I need a ton of practice and being able to stick with one set of colors and style to make a "set" of beads, or at least things that can go together. Right now, I have a bunch of beads that don't go together. I'm thinking about turning some of them into chain pulls for the fans....as soon as I find the right materials to put it together.
Old 2008-07-16, 3:34pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

hi,
30 bucks an hour is whats I charge for one on one, materials included, unless they want advanced and expensive sorts of stuff. Like solid colore boro sculpture etc, but for beads and basic blwon work, 30 an hour, 2 hour min.

make sure you have some serious liability insurance, and a waiver is easy for a lwayer to get around. Laso make sure you have them sign they have read and have a copy of a safet sheet with all the standard, no alcoho or drugs, follow safety rules, have read safety rules and understand and agree to them. Cottin clothing, hair pulled back, no flammable hair stuff, close toed shoes. Understand the inherent risks to being cut and burned etc etc. keep it on file.

I teach through a shop that has the liability insurance, but would never teach in my own shop, because I dont want the expense of carrying it, or the risk of loosing all I have.

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2008-07-17, 4:37am
BeadsonCypress

The school where I worked had a Intro to Lampworking once a month for soft glass. We charged $99 for a 3 hour class and provided everything. First half hour no one even touches a torch until they get a safety orientation and basic information. Each person got to some personal attention. Most made 4-10 beads. They love picking out the colors for their beads, others just wanted the FIRE!!! The beads were annealed and mailed to them the next day. I recommend taking the last half hour to discuss annealing, cleaning and beadable options in the last half hour, but most instructors forgot about doing that and most were so happy torching they didn't want to stop! Then we had torch time at $12/hour one day/evening a week. No instructor but a teacher's assistant or others were around to give them a point or two. I hope this helps!

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2008-07-17, 10:47am

I'd charge $25 per hour with a minumum of 4 hours required for an intro to lampwork class (one on one private lesson). I'd advise the student to go for 6 hours so they have plenty of practise, since some time will be spent on covering safety and startup costs. This would include everything they need for the class, rods in basic colors, mandrels all ready to go, booklet of the safety issues and list of places to purchase glass and supplies, etc etc.

Good luck with your class!