No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-10-04, 10:30am
Everybody Needs Beads!

Default Bad Black??

I haven't had to order basic black (Moretti #664) for quite a while because I had so much on hand. Well I finally ran out, ordered more and got it in the mail yesterday. I don't know WHAT the deal is but EVERYTHING is bleeding on it, it seems softer than usual and it's making me crazy! It's a mess! Did I miss something? Did they change their formula? I even tried to pull thin thin stringer with it to see if maybe it was #066 mismarked, and although it is VERY dense--hardly transparent at all, I CAN see through it.
Any ideas?
Thanks so much!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Beadygirlt. on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-10-04, 10:36am
Everybody Needs Beads!

Well that's what I was thinking too, Kim. Thanks for answering though!
If it IS intense black....it's not completely dense like it should be!

Beadygirlt. on

Old 2008-10-04, 10:38am
Ad astra per aspera

I quit using Effetre black about 4 years ago, cuz the batches were so irregular (and I use a LOT of black). Vetro is pretty good. I'm falling for CIM Hades now, but need a little more "discovery" time before I'm sure. Hmmm, I think I'll put that on my to-do list for this weekend.

Old 2008-10-04, 11:15am
Everybody Needs Beads!

I think I've changed my theory. I think I WAS sent intense black instead of regular....
I pulled a bunch of hair stringers off the rest of the rods and they aren't transparent at all. There are no other blacks that would be like that are there? Not even Hades?

Beadygirlt. on

Old 2008-10-04, 11:16am
rainbowchasingtimewaster

I just got Hades and it is not transparent. I've pulled hair thin stringers with it and I found it to be very comparable to intense black.

I just bought some regular Effetre black so I will go out to the torch and test it. It's probably from the same black you ordered. I'll report back...

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2008-10-04, 11:32am
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Ok, I pulled some stringers from the Effetre regular black and it is purpley transparent. I think you got intense black by mistake (good mistake!)

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2008-10-04, 11:42am
Crazy Snake Lady

I stopped using the Moretti black after a recent batch that bubbles and pits like crazy no matter how I change my torch or where I hold the mandrel. I use Hades almost exclusively.
Old 2008-10-04, 12:08pm
Scientific Glass Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lldesigns View Post
I stopped using the Moretti black after a recent batch that bubbles and pits like crazy no matter how I change my torch or where I hold the mandrel. I use Hades almost exclusively.
alright i am not going crazy! thank you for posting this because i have been having a hell of a time working black since i bought some before i went to penland. guess i'm going to have to invest in hades..

Old 2008-10-04, 3:21pm
susanLambert

I won't use moretti black because of the issues it has. Like when you use a graphite marver and reheat, it pits. Vetrofond works for me. It really sounds though, that you got intense black in a mix-up at the place you ordered it from.

Old 2008-10-04, 7:26pm
I'm not Barbie.

lucky you to get intense blakc if indeed that is what it is! Aside from that, I use Vetrofind. It's WAY BETTER than effetre.
Old 2008-10-06, 2:27pm

I've been seeing little 'stones' in my recent batches of vetro black... anyone else? Did anyone figure out the cracking issues related to vetro black that were reported here a few months ago? Guess I better start checking that search function up above on this page, lol!

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2008-10-06, 3:31pm

Sounds like it's a crap shoot between batches then. I just switched back to moretti black because my vetro black was horrible- pitting and bubbling. The moretti black I just bought is smooth and perfect.