Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Old 2009-09-22, 4:45pm
Broken

Default Bigger torch ..... input appreciated.

I am thinking of making gear shifts again (I may regret this decision later). I currently have a mega minor and a Mini CC. I have two oxy con's, I find I am not getting a bushy enough flame to work a piece this big. The gear shifts average about the size of a pool ball. Any advice about a bigger, bushier torch that'll run of two oxy cons?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-09-22, 7:56pm

I have a Hellcat that I run off of an integra 10 and a m-20. I make murrini and work pretty big. I have a Mirage I am waiting to use. I am waiting on the new in home oxygen refill system to come on the market before I switch.
Old 2009-09-22, 8:00pm
Broken

Thanks Lynn I appreciate any input I can get. I need a new kiln with a bigger door so don't want to make a wrong torch purchase! The home fill system did not go over well with my gas supplier and welder, they both explained the hazards of filing tanks at home and I won't be doing that. I am hoping I can find a torch with a big, bushy enough flame off two concentrators.

Does the hellcat run fairly clean on your oxy cons?

Old 2009-09-24, 9:59pm

The only time I have a problem is when my propane tank is nearly empty, then I may get some soot. I run both inner and outer valves oxy valves wide open. Thanks for the heads up on the home fill station. So far everyone I have talked to didn't seem to think it would be a problem. I will definitely do some more research on it.
Have you ever worked on a Hellcat before. If not, maybe I can send you mine to try out. I know what it is like not to buy the right torch the first time. Thats why I have 4 of them.
Old 2009-09-25, 12:47am

You might look into a Cheetah. They are supposed to run on 22 CFH which is just over 10 LPM. They make a nice bushy flame all the way down to a very fine point.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2009-09-25, 2:29am
Formerly known as LT

I second the Cheetah! I run mine on two OGSI 15's with a holding tank. It has worked well for me. I am able to get a 3 inch gather easily to make murrini. It is slightly hotter with tanked but not much. I would say it runs about 95%.

Old 2009-09-25, 3:57am
BeadsonCypress

Hellcat? Opps never mind....others said that, but I think it's just what you need, not too big, not too EXPENSIVE (like the CC's)

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator

Last edited by beadsoncypress; 2009-09-25 at 3:59am. Reason: addition
Old 2009-09-25, 8:35am
Broken

I am hoping I can find a cheetah to try somewhere. I am thinking I may use tanked for this torch and my oxy cons for my other work.

Lynn I am going to try a hellcat too, I think between that and a cheetah one may be the torch for me. Look into the filing station with someone who's a welder of gas supplier, mine were really suprised that something like that could even be sold.

Old 2009-09-25, 10:10am
balanced but asymmetrical

I've liked the Cheetah, and have high hopes for the Scorpion.

Old 2009-09-26, 5:44am
DSDWC

Right now I would hold off until the GTT Scorpion hits the market in October. I demoed this torch at The Gathering for about an hour and have high hopes for it.

Old 2009-09-26, 6:37am
Formerly known as LT

Quote:
Originaly posted By Trey Cornette "Right now I would hold off until the GTT Scorpion hits the market in October. I demoed this torch at The Gathering for about an hour and have high hopes for it."
Trey, How does the Scorpion compare to the Cheetah?

Old 2009-09-27, 5:37am
DSDWC

I don't have enough time on either for a proper comparison. I will say that the split manifold on the scorpion is going to change the way many people work glass. Now you can have all the benefits of a foot pedal in a small torch.
Once I get the Scorpion in hand I will be happy to do a complete review if anyone is interested.

Old 2009-09-27, 12:05pm

Know what you mean, Nicker. I have a Lynx. It's a great torch for heat and detail, but it's flame is not bushy enough to keep larger pieces warm-without a lot of dancing in the flame! I've got my eyes open for a different torch with all three capabilities. I know GTT has one that has the Lynx on the inner jets. Love their torches and the guys, just $.
Old 2009-09-27, 2:50pm

Hi Trey, I think a lot of us would like a comparison on the scorpion with the different torches you have used when you get one. I have a Lynx running on an OGSI 20 and am thinking about getting the scorpion(going back to bottle oxy) but right now not enough information is coming forth for me to make a firm decision on it. By the way, you'll really be missed at Hot Times in a couple of weeks. March was great with you there.
Glenda
Old 2009-09-27, 3:04pm
Formerly known as LT

Trey, I would love a comparison between the Cheetah and the Scorpion.

Old 2009-09-28, 3:34pm
Mad about Glass

I would also like a comparison. I'm currently using a midrange with ng and 8lpm oxycon. For a scorpion I would go back to tanked gas but hope I don't need to buy another oxycon. Any advice is most welcome.

Jenn

[url]

Old 2009-09-29, 6:54am
Debra Clutter

Has anyone heard if the Scorpion is coming out the 1st of Oct. for sure?

#C-108
Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in. -Amy Lowell-

Old 2009-09-30, 10:43am

I don't think any torch will do what you need with 2 cons.
but if you add a M15 for the outter flame and use the 2 - 5s for the center you can make almost anything.o you need a 4 post to use diff. types of cons.
just mho.
G.
Old 2009-10-01, 7:25pm
Cali4nia baby

Actually the Scorpion is being made especially for people with small amounts of gas/ng and oxygen. It will use like 2 or 3 of each, psi/ lpm and OXY at like 6 or less. It will be wonderful! You will need LESS than what people use with a cheetah - I am pretty sure

Last edited by FairyVerre; 2009-10-01 at 7:26pm. Reason: add
Old 2009-10-04, 11:52am

If you are coming to the seattle area you would be welcome to try my setup.
G.
Old 2009-10-08, 5:42am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
I am thinking of making gear shifts again (I may regret this decision later). I currently have a mega minor and a Mini CC. I have two oxy con's, I find I am not getting a bushy enough flame to work a piece this big. The gear shifts average about the size of a pool ball. Any advice about a bigger, bushier torch that'll run of two oxy cons?

REALLY NICKER???
'cause I got my bug back & I neeeeed a gearshift!!! And there is NO ONE IN THE WORLD I WOULD RATHER ORDER ONE FROM THAN YOU!!!
(I'm budgeting right now, but next spring, that's on my list for the car!!!)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-10-08, 8:18am
Broken

Yup my husband keeps bugging me to get back into making them but they are too stressful with the set up I have. I may be back into the swing of it when you are ready