No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-11-05, 11:07am
Torchaholic ;)

Default HELP!!! Cant decide on KILN

Im new to lampworking and have started making beads with soft glass. I plan on moving on to boro Jars and beads sometime soon. Projects no bigger than 6 in long I would imagine but want somethin that will be ok for slong time and wont need upgraded, I need a Kiln that would work for both of those. Ive been looking at the AIM 84bd and the wndrfl/1 both w/ digital contollers. They are around 550-600 bucks. Would these kilns suit both of these purposes? Or do I need somethin diff! want to spend no more than $800 if possible and looking for best deal money/quality wise, I like 600 price range . I dont want to have to buy another kiln for awhile though. Please help me! I live in rural central illinois and have no one to talk to bout these things.

Thanks, JR

I plan on making more boro JArs than anything else so need kiln for that AS WELL as beads? sorry If that silly or dumb question I not sure bout all of this.

also other than kilns above i guess Im
lookin at aarow springs af99-t4 and the af 138-t4 for more size OR PARAGON caldera w/ bead collar

Last edited by brayjr4484; 2009-11-05 at 12:04pm. Reason: new info
Old 2009-11-05, 11:29am
Formerly known as LT

I own a paragon F-120 for most things it is a great kiln. For beads I often run out of space if I don't want to stack them. If I where to do it again I would have gone for the

Paragon BlueBirdXL http://www.clay-king.com/paragon_bluebird_xl.html
It wasn't available when I started or I would have one. It is brick not fiber and a really good size without waisted space. The other one that I like is from

Glass Hive http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=98989

Good luck in your search!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-11-05, 11:31am
one day at a time

If you don't mind spending a little extra, I would get one from Mike Crowley at The Glass Hive.

go here: www.theglasshive.com

I have a Paragon, which they don't make anymore. I want to get a second kiln someday, and I will get one from Mike. They say he's got the best customer service, and the kilns are top quality.
Old 2009-11-05, 2:46pm
Torchaholic ;)

So ya forgot i would like to do some small fusing projects too! how would these kilns work for that!

Last edited by brayjr4484; 2009-11-05 at 2:52pm.
Old 2009-11-05, 6:55pm

Hi, JR~
Gotta agree that Mike Crowley makes the best kilns. I just ordered my second one from him - special ordered one slightly larger than my first one. His kilns are fantastic!! Perfect design for lampworking, amazingly well made. Can't say enough good things about his kilns!

I also have an AIM kiln. Paid almost as much for it as I did my first kiln from Mike. Unfortunately, I don't think it's worth even half that, compared to Mike's kilns.

Also, ordering the AIM was a disaster!! Was told that it would be delivered within a few weeks. It actually took nearly 6 months. YIKES!!! That was one heck of a long time for them to have the use of my money. I was really angry about it, and actually tried to cancel the order, but couldn't get out of it.

Mike makes his kilns to order, too, but he usually takes more like 4 weeks to get it delivered, sometimes less.

I don't remember what the max temp is on Mike's kilns, but I think it is hot enough for fusing. If you email him the full fuse or full melting temp of the glass you plan on using, he'll be able to tell you for sure.

Let us know what you decide to get. Always interested in hearing what others buy.

Birdy
Old 2009-11-05, 6:59pm
In search of her path....

If your going to be doing bigger stuff I highly suggest the Jen Ken double tall bead annealer the bead door is extra tall so you can get bigger items in but it ALSO has a lid on top for larger stuff or fusing. Another option would be to have glasshive build you a custom kiln thats a lil taller with a bigger door on front. the 84bd is on the smaller side I think....and while the bluebird is a big kiln the bead door is not very tall and it has no top access door like the Jen Ken.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2009-11-05, 7:00pm
Torchaholic ;)

So after the longest most stressfull search ever, Ive decided On a Glasshive kiln from Mike. Im looking at the standard, But I need your input on how tall I want it. Its usually 4 and 1/2in tall but I can get it 9 in tall if i want for extra money. I think this would come in handy later down the road if I ever get into bigger than 4 in. sculptures or other things. But Im a newbie and I really dont know I may not need the extra height. What do you all think? Please help a newbie out wit your wisdom!
Old 2009-11-05, 7:23pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Spend the extra - you will not regret it. 100% definite - get the taller version.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-11-05, 7:47pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

Definitely go for the taller kiln, you'll be so happy you did.
Old 2009-11-05, 8:00pm

if you want to fuse, get the taller one - i regret that i dont have a taller kiln so i could do slumping of vases etc.

handmade with my headphones on...
Old 2009-11-07, 11:19am
Torchaholic ;)

I Ended Up gettin the taller one a regular guy! Im calling it a Tall Boy Thanks for your help everyone. Please help more as I need help with ventilation now and made a thread in the safety section on my situation. called Shed ventilation!! Help!!

please helpa newbie stuck in the middle of nowhere out and thanks again