TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2011-08-03, 9:35am
Tweedle Dumb

Arrow How to use my StrikingColor Murrini! Gravity, BABY!

First things first.

I'm making this a free tutorial for 3 reasons.

1. I feel guilty making people pay for something so simple and I haven't grown my 3rd arm yet that allows me to take decent pictures at the torch. It is a perfect technique for beginner murrini users because if you deform them, they still look cool.

2. My murrini won't be around forever, and when they are gone, the tutorial would be pointless. And the last thing I want, is angry lampworkers. Ya'll scare me.

3. I have only successfully used this technique on BHB's. Go ahead and try it on a smaller mandrel, you might have some luck, I did NOT.

Another little disclaimer.

I have only used my murrini for this technique. I do not know if others will work. But, please feel free to try, kay?

Go ahead, copy me. That’s why I’m posting this. These beads sell well! So make them, sell them, make some moola. I will be nothing but happy for you!

Ok here we go.

Tools & glass you will need:

1. Thick stringer of regular old Effetre black (another good base is OY, but for my little demo I use black)
2. Murrini, I use 5 in this demo bead. They are 2-3mm. If you have bigger murrini, use fewer. It’s best to keep them about the same size within a bead.
3. Something to preheat them and apply them. I use a candle warmer and a old pair of jewelry pliers.
4. Clear, I use Effetre Super Clear
5. Something to push your murrini down. I use the flat back of my marble mould. But a simple kitchen knife would work. Whatev. It just needs to flatten your murrini.

Ok lets start. (progressive picture at the end, cause I’m lazy)

1. Lay down a small even footprint of Effetre Black on your mandrel.

2. Apply your preheated murrini. All at the same time, around the belly of the bead. One, two, three…
****Space them evenly apart. The closer you put them together, the less defined they will be in the finished bead. If you give them a little more space, they will be better defined in the finished bead. Both will look cool, just different.***

3. Now you need to flatten your murrini. I do the heat/tap process to each individual murrini, then make another pass around, then another. Until they are all flattened.

4. Once they are all flattened, give the bead a good amount of heat to help even out any unevenness, and set up the murrini to strike. **Do this gently, you don’t want your murrini to move, YET.** They should practically disappear on your base bead. DO NOT PANIC.

5. Let your bead cool enough to encase.

6. Encase it. (please excuse my less than pretty encasing job) I use the around the world method, you use what ever you feel comfortable with.

7. Now. Here is the important part. This is a 4-in-one step. Melt in your clear, super heat your bead, and allow the murrini to pull a tiny bit (or more, whatev) around the mandrel. You also need to shape your bead in this step. Donuts work the best because they just kinda happen all by themselves. **Do NOT go back and forth in and out of the flame, it is a single step. And a very crucial step to set up the murrini to strike**

8. Cool that puppy DOWN, till the glow is gone plus 10-15 seconds.

9. Strike it. I put the cooled bead right back into the meaty part of my flame, about 4 inches from the torch face. I spin it there until I see the colors start to bloom, move it back an inch in the flame, wait for more color to come up, move it back an inch…. Progressively, until I’m at the end of my flame and it is barely glowing orange. By now your murrini should have struck, if not… well, you can try to super heat again, and start all over.

10. Put it in the kiln! I use the Glasshive standard soft glass annealing cycle. Garage at 915, anneal at 950. Ramp down to 700 over 3 hours, and then it turns off.

Now the progressive picture. Please forgive my crappy examples. But they will give you the general idea of what to do. The second to last bead is after the super heat, and before the strike. My kiln struck it a bit, but it should give you a general idea of what to look for.

Some finished examples, you can see some that are pretty well defined, and were placed a tiny bit further apart, and some that kinda melt right into the next one.

If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them! Thanks for looking!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click For My Latest Murrini!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!

Last edited by jamie lynne; 2011-08-03 at 9:40am.
Old 2011-08-03, 9:39am
Storm Queen

You don't even need to use murrini really. I just dot silver glass onto a base in a nice pattern, melt flat and then super heat and gravity swirl.

Old 2011-08-03, 9:51am

Thanks Jamie Lynne, and I received my beauties yesterday!

Julie
Old 2011-08-03, 9:53am
Resident hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
You don't even need to use murrini really. I just dot silver glass onto a base in a nice pattern, melt flat and then super heat and gravity swirl.
That's good to know Amy.
The way it clusters is lovely with the murrini though.

Thanks so much Jamie Lynne.

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2011-08-03, 10:19am
Tweedle Dumb

I've used that technique too, Amy, but I haven't been able to mimic my murrini using that technique. Believe me, I've tried. It would save me a lot of time.

Julie, that was fast!

Thanks Anna!

Old 2011-08-03, 10:26am
Storm Queen

I think with your murrini you are probably getting more consistent results. I toss a lot of mine.

Old 2011-08-03, 11:00am

Default Shipped by transporter unit

Really fast! I thought you drove it over...
Julie
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie lynne View Post
I've used that technique too, Amy, but I haven't been able to mimic my murrini using that technique. Believe me, I've tried. It would save me a lot of time.

Julie, that was fast!

Thanks Anna!
Old 2011-08-03, 11:24am
Tweedle Dumb

I find it hard to believe you make dud beads. Liar.

Quote:
I think with your murrini you are probably getting more consistent results. I toss a lot of mine.

Old 2011-08-06, 8:19am

Thanks for posting this Jamie! I actually got some color out of the murrini you sent me! Yay!!!

Old 2011-08-06, 9:04am
Tweedle Dumb

YEAH!

Old 2011-08-06, 9:25am

Jamie Lynne -
I really needed this and will be giving it a whirl today with your murrini!
Thank you!!

Old 2011-08-06, 9:42am
Who me?

Terrific. I like the uniformity created by using the murrini.
Old 2011-08-06, 1:02pm
Making doo-lollies

OMG these are gorgeous !! thanks so much for sharing this Jamie Lynne !! Cannot wait to try this technique.

Old 2011-08-06, 6:59pm
Tweedle Dumb

Thanks! Can't wait to see some results!

Old 2011-08-06, 9:22pm

Thanks this was great! I have been wondering about this type of bead.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2011-08-07, 3:04pm

Not even close to being as pretty as yours Jamie but I'm glad I got some color.

The first one is how Amy said. Not nearly as pretty as hers either. Beeyotches. The 2nd one is just the murrini on black and the 3rd is over some Striking color that a freind gave me.
Did you ever think about selling your murrini recipes? I'd buy.

Old 2011-08-10, 11:26am
Tweedle Dumb

Here is one I made using this technique, and one that is just capped with clear.

Old 2011-08-10, 11:38am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
The first one is how Amy said. Not nearly as pretty as hers either.
Using dots, I do three staggered rows across the bead. I melt those in and sometimes I add more dots in between. I gravity swirl before encasing and sometimes again a little after. It really is hit or miss for me too. I've done a few kick ass beads but lots of duds. I tried it again the other day and ...blech. I think JL gets better results with the murrini technique. I'll have to try it. Your far right bead Rebecca is really pretty.

Old 2011-08-10, 2:06pm
Tweedle Dumb

Humm, I almost always got good results using that method, Amy. I wonder what we are doing different, because it sounds like you do it almost exactly like me.

Old 2011-08-10, 2:17pm
Storm Queen

It could be the glass. I always use TNT.

Old 2011-08-10, 2:18pm
Tweedle Dumb

Ohh, yeah that one usually smooshes together on me. Try Fire Lotus. Yum.

Old 2011-08-10, 2:25pm
Storm Queen

It doesn't smoosh but it just wants to do it's own thing. This is one of my favorites:

Old 2011-08-10, 2:31pm
Tweedle Dumb

Oooo. Yes that is nice. I would be happy to get that for sure. I gravity swirl after the encasement, I wonder if it makes that big of a difference?

Old 2011-08-10, 2:35pm
Storm Queen

I really think I swirled before but you may be right. I'll have to give it another go.

Old 2011-08-10, 2:37pm
Tweedle Dumb

Mine end up looking like this. I'm going to try your way tonight.

Old 2011-08-10, 2:41pm
Storm Queen

Pretty. I don't have any Fire Lotus. I keep meaning to call TAG and place an order.

Old 2011-08-11, 6:05am
Tweedle Dumb

Amy if you call try to get some of the Semi-Fire Lotus, too. It's even better that the regular. It's the only TAG glass I can get to cooperate with me.

Old 2011-08-11, 6:26am

Quote:
Using dots, I do three staggered rows across the bead. I melt those in and sometimes I add more dots in between. I gravity swirl before encasing and sometimes again a little after. It really is hit or miss for me too. I've done a few kick ass beads but lots of duds. I tried it again the other day and ...blech. I think JL gets better results with the murrini technique. I'll have to try it. Your far right bead Rebecca is really pretty.
Thanks! I'll have to try that today. Your TNT bead is gorgeous. I think I sold all that, all I could get was poop. damn. lol
Really pretty Jamie! I like the fold-over look and the color is fab.
I wonder if Luna 2.something would work. I've got a bunch of that for some reason.

Old 2011-08-11, 6:29am
Tweedle Dumb

I've used Luna, but my kiln kills it everytime. I should just lower my temp, but I like what it does to everything else.

Old 2011-08-11, 7:05am
Normal is Boring!!

duh moment- you are brilliant and gracious to share your technique- thanks

~
~

Antique Brass Findings